Sponsored

Buying a used Mustang - how do you know what options it has?

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
I am looking for a 2018+ GT convertible. Is there a list of option codes somewhere on the car that tells me every option it has?

I know on GM cars there is a sticker that shows all the option codes (RPO codes) the car has, does Ford do something similar?

I am looking for one that has mag ride and dual mode exhaust options and I don't trust dealers to list the options correctly in the ads.

thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the link! I am not sure it is working, I tried this 2018 convertible just as a test, and didnt get anything

1FATP8FF6J5103839

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
If you are looking at a Mustang from a Ford dealership they should have the corresponding window sticker on their website, if not ask them to print it out. If it is a private sale or a non Ford dealer go to this thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/window-sticker.107986/page-48#post-2797206

You also might want to down load the "18 and "19 brochures, that is what I did as I spent months looking for a nicely optioned car and I learned to at least ignore many cars right away by looking at the interior as I learned what to look for on a 401A, B&O etc. Some options are obvious like the blackout package, some like 3.55 gear, active exhaust and Magneride are not and the sticker will help. You can also tell if the wheels were kept stock whether the car was a PP1 or not.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Ford must only keep the historical window stickers for a couple of years. I was able to get the window stickers for my 11 Mustang and 12 F150 (both bought used) a year or two after purchase, but neither are available now. Date stamp on both window stickers shows Oct of 2015.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Not sure if your talking about the 300a/301a/400a/401a codes
But mag ride and active exhaust are easy enough to find. Wires coming out from top of suspension assembly under hood and active exhaust well kinda self explanatory if you flip through the modes and it changes you got it.
Any other options are must haves???

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you have an ETIS ID, you can plug the VIN and get the build info.

You could also get “As Built” info off the Ford Motorcraft website (check the large sticky at top of the DIY sub forum).

Just need to plug the VIN into either website.

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if your talking about the 300a/301a/400a/401a codes
But mag ride and active exhaust are easy enough to find. Wires coming out from top of suspension assembly under hood and active exhaust well kinda self explanatory if you flip through the modes and it changes you got it.
Any other options are must haves???
I guess Ford doesn't put a sticker in the car with all the options it has. Below is an example of what I am talking about. This sticker (usually in trunk or glovebox) will tell you everything you need to know about the car.

GMRPOcode.jpg

It's helpful to have this when looking at used cars as they might be a couple hours drive away.

I am kinda shocked that the car and options I am looking for is so hard to find.

2018 GT Convert - blue, black or grey
10 speed auto
401A - with the sweet instrument display
20" premium painted rims
mag ride
performance exhaust
safe / smart package

When I find one, it will be mine!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I guess Ford doesn't put a sticker in the car with all the options it has. Below is an example of what I am talking about. This sticker (usually in trunk or glovebox) will tell you everything you need to know about the car.

GMRPOcode.jpg

It's helpful to have this when looking at used cars as they might be a couple hours drive away.

I am kinda shocked that the car and options I am looking for is so hard to find.

10 speed auto
20" premium painted rims
mag ride
performance exhaust
safe / smart package

MagneRide was not always the easiest option to find in 18. Mating MR to 20" wheels will also difficult as they are more for looks than performance. A MR customer would most likely stick with 19"s. S&S is a great option but not a hugely popular one. And all of this in a vert. Yeah, I'm not surprised. Keep looking you will eventually find what you want.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
my experience was that the magneride was the most difficult option to find on a used 2018 or '19 convertible. Matter of fact I never did find one with my must have options of automatic, 401A and the Safe & smart package. I'm sure they are out there but probably extremely limited. I was hoping to find a PP1 with magneride but I either found PP1's without it or if it had magneride it was a manual. Agree with the above too, most of the cars with the 20" rims were mostly appearance packages so rarely did I find a 20" rim car with 3.55s, active exhaust and an automatic. I hear you, it was a pain trying to find out what options a car had on it that was more than an hour away if they did not have the window sticker on the website.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX

GMRPOcode.jpg

10 speed auto
20" premium painted rims
mag ride
performance exhaust
safe / smart package

the nice thing about the large lcd gauge cluster is that it only came on the 401a so you know if it has that then it’s that package.
Good luck on your search!!! Took me 6 months for my 16 Gt/CS and about 4 to find my current.

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I was 4 months looking for my car. Active Exhaust was must-have, and there's no way to know online unless the ad says it has it. I got good at sniffing out window stickers (it's a tricky and ever-changing business to find them online) and I can tell a bunch of trim-level details with just a picture. You'll get good at it too. :-)

1Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt Convertible
I am looking for a 2018+ GT convertible. Is there a list of option codes somewhere on the car that tells me every option it has?

I know on GM cars there is a sticker that shows all the option codes (RPO codes) the car has, does Ford do something similar?

I am looking for one that has mag ride and dual mode exhaust options and I don't trust dealers to list the options correctly in the ads.

thanks!
One option, buy a new 2019.
I got 24.8% off and full-warranty.
Remember, GUYS BEAT ON THESE CARS.

Bear

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV

GMRPOcode.jpg

10 speed auto
20" premium painted rims
mag ride
performance exhaust
safe / smart package

Even using the RPO codes for a GM vehicle isn't a great way to find something online. Most listings don't have a photo of the RPO codes, and they usually aren't listed in the text of a sales ad, unless the dealer really knows what they have.

But if you are familiar enough with the car you are looking for, a quick glance through the interior should tell you what you need to know. If it has cloth and the small radio screen, it's the base mustang. If the car has cloth and sync 3, it's the X01 package. Leather and it's the premium. 3 circular vents at the top of the center stack...non performance pack. If only two vents with 2 small circular gauges, it's the performance pack. Finding the Mag ride is going to be a bit trickier, as there will probably be a lot of listings that have it, but don't mention the mag ride.

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most listings don't have a photo of the RPO codes, and they usually aren't listed in the text of a sales ad, unless the dealer really knows what they have. .
True, I have had some luck asking the sales guy to text me a pic of it.

Thanks for the tips on checking the other things. I normally check for the gauge cluster first to make sure it has the LCD one for package 401a.
Sponsored