Sponsored

Disabling tri-bar headlight leds on 18+ mustang .

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
So this car has been around for quite a few years now . Has anyone figured out how to shut off the tri bar leds in the headlights of the 2018+ mustangs ?

I dont like them, i dont want your opinion of them just if anyone has actual experience shutting them off .
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
ugh , im shocked someone doesnt know what wire to cut and shut them off but it must not be that simple and it must all be tied into other things , grrr.
They are actually a safety feature as it allows others to see the front of your car. This is a good thing as ours cars sit so low. Plus you donā€™t see them from behind the the wheel, so thereā€™s that.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Curious as to why you donā€™t want them on? Your best bet is a set of aftermarket headlights that allow you to turn off the DRL feature (if that even exists)

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
ugh , im shocked someone doesnt know what wire to cut and shut them off but it must not be that simple and it must all be tied into other things , grrr.
Maybe you can do the cutting and let us know? I am sure you can find a wiring diagram somewhere. I had that same idea, once. Then just stopped caring.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Curious as to why you donā€™t want them on? Your best bet is a set of aftermarket headlights that allow you to turn off the DRL feature (if that even exists)
I am not the OP, but I think they look terrible. A car with no lights on looks so much better than a car with DRL's IMO. Not to mention, it's easier to spot a car with lights on from a distance, if you catch my drift. There is a reason police cars sit parked with their lights off. Our cars should be able to turn the lights off too.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I am not the OP, but I think they look terrible. A car with no lights on looks so much better than a car with DRL's IMO. Not to mention, it's easier to spot a car with lights on from a distance, if you catch my drift. There is a reason police cars sit parked with their lights off. Our cars should be able to turn the lights off too.
I catch your drift. In these cars especially, theyā€™re going to hear you before they see you anyways so youā€™re going to grab attention. Same goes for those of us with some of the brighter colors, we donā€™t hide very well šŸ¤­.

To each their own but I personally like the tri-bar DRLā€™s. But I do also remember the days when they didnā€™t exist and there were definitely cars that looked better without lights on vs with lights on. So I get that side of it.

I would assume the wire that controls the DRL is inside the housing, which is probably why nobody has figured out how to disable it. Maybe OP can go to a junkyard and find a cheap housing to play with?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Pretty sure you could just remove the headlights.
If you don't like the DRLs, why bother with the headlights either? Its not like you need those. I see plenty of junkers driving around without them. šŸ™ƒ

Try replacing the headlights with a reliable aftermarket headlight assembly if you really do not like the DRLs, probably your best bet.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I catch your drift. In these cars especially, theyā€™re going to hear you before they see you anyways so youā€™re going to grab attention. Same goes for those of us with some of the brighter colors, we donā€™t hide very well šŸ¤­.

To each their own but I personally like the tri-bar DRLā€™s. But I do also remember the days when they didnā€™t exist and there were definitely cars that looked better without lights on vs with lights on. So I get that side of it.

I would assume the wire that controls the DRL is inside the housing, which is probably why nobody has figured out how to disable it. Maybe OP can go to a junkyard and find a cheap housing to play with?
I will say, they have grown on me. I'd still prefer them off though. The Focus ST/RS has some ugly ones.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Pretty sure you could just remove the headlights.
If you don't like the DRLs, why bother with the headlights either? Its not like you need those. I see plenty of junkers driving around without them. šŸ™ƒ

Try replacing the headlights with a reliable aftermarket headlight assembly if you really do not like the DRLs, probably your best bet.
I thought the Canadian/Euro spec cars you can turn them off. One would suspect it's a simple programming change, or maybe just getting the canadian/euro spec headlight knob?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I thought the Canadian/Euro spec cars you can turn them off. One would suspect it's a simple programming change, or maybe just getting the canadian/euro spec headlight knob?
There was another post years ago where a Euro user wanted to swap their headlight to get the tri bars. If it was as easy as forscan or a switch someone would have figured it out over the past nine years. šŸ¤­

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
FWIW - the tri-bar lights are not DRLs, they are a 'feature' meant to harken back to the 'gills' on Gen1 'Stangs. The DRLs are the headlights, and can be turned off through the settings.

I am also not a fan of DRLS. They remind me of training wheels. I shake my head when I see so many non-LED vehicles with one DRL burned out; really makes them look like beaters.

On a side note, 50 years ago, when motorcycles were first required to have their headlights always on, H-D simply re-wired the connections on their existing stock of headlight switches, so it was easy to convert them back to headlights only on when you turned them on. That was then, this is now, and the older and wiser me wants the most noticeable LED headlight on at all times (but only for a motorcycle).

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500