Disabling the Rev Match feature

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
IMHO, as someone who only drives a manual, the Mustang Rev match is awful because it is VERY slow to blip the throttle when doing a downshift...super annoying and dangerous. Most of us can downshift much faster with-it off. Hell, ive locked up my rear wheels while using it on, because it did not blip the throttle fast enough. Mine stays off! If you want to experience a very good rev match set up, drive a ZL1 6 speed. It is almost intuitive! Dont worry- this is the on,yplug GM is gonna get outta me
Sponsored

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
It's in the driver assist menu. Look in the owner's manual or check for it online under "disable rev match on ford mustang."

Initially, I didn't like it, either. But it always got the revs rust right and I quickly grew to like it. Give it a try for a few weeks and disable it if you don't come to like it. In any case, you should find out WHERE to disable it because that is where you can get hill assist, too, if you have a driver such as a wife who is new to a manual transmission. There are several "driver assist" functions.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
My car is my one selfish thing that nobody drives but me. Thanks for letting me know where the hill assist is. I've seen the rev match on/off before so I'll find it easily I'm sure

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Essentially it's just raising the engine RPM during a down shift (before clutch engagement) to create a seamless transition to a lower gear without that immediate grab of the clutch and engine having to engage while they aren't moving at the same speed. Makes it feel a lot smoother and probably helps limit clutch wear, especially when down shifting into a high rpm.

I didn't have it on the 2018 so I got used to doing it manually. It is pretty nice to have it automatic on the 2019+, I'll probably leave it on. The only times it annoys me are when I have basically rolled to a stop and dropped into 1st gear (while stationary) it'll sometimes rev match for 1st gear and I'll look retarded.
Auto courtesy rev. Nice. I would really like the rev match on my 2017. Can i rev match, sure. Nailing it perfectly does feel great. But having it match perfect every time sounds fun and easy, TBH.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Rev match works fine for me and I have had manual xmsn cars since the '70s. To avoid looking (sounding) like a dork at parking lot speed I double clutch into 1st so the rev match doesn't activate.

Sponsored

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
I've grown to like it very much. Been driving manuals for years but yeah, it's better at what it does than I am. Still iffy on the grabby hill assist..

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I didn't know double clutching would keep it from working. Totally trying this when I'm off work!

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
One point I can give for the Camaro is that they have tactile switches behind the steering wheel (similar to a paddle shifter) to immediately enable or disable rev match. Would have been great to have in the Mustang.
They ARE the paddle shifters. They use the same steering wheel to save money.

K6590

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Love that hill assist. Not many hills around here, but where I use it (a lot...) is when stopped in traffic and I want to move up a bit. Just engage the clutch ever so slightly, the engine RPM's will increase slightly (from 650 to about 1000 normally), and you can creep up.

I can see where rev matching can become annoying. Mine is on and I don't plan on disabling it, but it does make people look when you are coming to a stop from highway speed, and downshift while still moving. It won't operate when stopped or nearly stopped. One thing I learned about it is it will also rev match when upshifting slowly and the engine RPM's drop a lot before you move the stick to the next gear. Particularly noticeable on the 4-5 shift and you let the RPM's drop to idle between shifts. Yes, not the right way to shift, but sometimes I get lazy. I thought the system was out of adjustment the first few times it did that.

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
If you disable rev match does it disable the up shift "linger" this thing does? I find that more annoying as the RPM's don't always fall as fast as they should. If I put the clutch in the RPM's only go down so far and they hold but I find the system to be a bit "off".

I've never had a problem on the rev-match on a downshift. I could imagine if someone is driving the car at 11/10th's the system might be a bit off. But at 40-50 MPH it blips for 3rd perfectly. The parking lot complaints I haven't noticed. By the time I'm shifting into 1st the car doesn't blip. I typically give a tiny blip in those situations as I've found it to be smoother.

The hill assist is good when learning the car. Once you get used to it it is a pain as it holds on slight inclines when you don't need it to. Once you get the clutch down there's no reason for it.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
With rev match enabled on a 19 don't you lose the ability for engine braking?

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
With rev match enabled on a 19 don't you lose the ability for engine braking?
Nope, drop it into 2nd at 50 mph and it will slow down quickly, while making wonderful noises (with the exhaust in track mode). :)

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Nope, drop it into 2nd at 50 mph and it will slow down quickly, while making wonderful noises (with the exhaust in track mode). :)
I hate you. :explode:

I can't get enough twist in my foot to do that at 50mph anymore.

For Heavens sake, will some performance shop please figure out how to upgrade the 2018's to have the 2019 OEM rev match setup?!?!?!
Sponsored