Sponsored

Digital Cluster going blank while driving?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Does this info help??
A little; thank you :). The date at the end of that chart could be your build date, so we know at least your car is that old, which makes it an early build. My 2019 was built a year later (8/9/19 vs 8/11/18).

Got a TSB notice from Ford 1.5 months ago on the Digital dash, just have not done it yet.
I see you have a K3993 Bullitt, and mine is K7979, so yours must have been built quite a bit earlier. The one above has a 'lastChecked' date (whatever that means) of Aug 11, 2018, so that's also an early build.

I don't have the FordPass crap activated on the Bullitt, but just checked the Ford website, and my car is up to date, so guess I'm out of the woods. Having said that, it seems to be just a software issue, which is great news. I was fearing there was something wrong with the electronics. Still sucks having to take the car to a dealer, but at least it won't be torn apart to replace the damn dash. Good luck.
Sponsored

cojm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaison
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
A little; thank you :). The date at the end of that chart could be your build date, so we know at least your car is that old, which makes it an early build. My 2019 was built a year later (8/9/19 vs 8/11/18).

I see you have a K3993 Bullitt, and mine is K7979, so yours must have been built quite a bit earlier. The one above has a 'lastChecked' date (whatever that means) of Aug 11, 2018, so that's also an early build.

I don't have the FordPass crap activated on the Bullitt, but just checked the Ford website, and my car is up to date, so guess I'm out of the woods. Having said that, it seems to be just a software issue, which is great news. I was fearing there was something wrong with the electronics. Still sucks having to take the car to a dealer, but at least it won't be torn apart to replace the damn dash. Good luck.
Thanks, its at the dealer now...lets see what they have to say.

cojm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaison
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

I also came accross this which has some useful information. Not sure how genuine it is but it looks pretty solid evidence. https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/...ster-may-go-blank-on-start-up-19v076000.shtml

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
My 2020 has done it a few times
once while changing mode everything froze had to shut off and back on to fix

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I also came accross this which has some useful information.
Thank you. And that's for 2019s. However, it just says that it goes blank on start-up. Mine has always taken a couple of seconds to 'wake up' after turning ignition on, but that's perfectly normal IMO (self checks, etc). Unfortunately, that complaint doesn't say how long, which is crucial to identify a normal condition or a defect. The way it was worded, doesn't appear to be a defect IMO.

Having said the above, when the cluster goes blank while driving, THAT is an obvious issue. Fortunately it hasn't happened to me, at least not yet. Ha ha. But the good news is it appears to be a software/firmware issue, rather than the hardware, which is great news.

Sponsored

JJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Build date 10/17/18. No further issues after cluster was replaced.

cojm3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaison
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thank you. And that's for 2019s. However, it just says that it goes blank on start-up. Mine has always taken a couple of seconds to 'wake up' after turning ignition on, but that's perfectly normal IMO (self checks, etc). Unfortunately, that complaint doesn't say how long, which is crucial to identify a normal condition or a defect. The way it was worded, doesn't appear to be a defect IMO.

Having said the above, when the cluster goes blank while driving, THAT is an obvious issue. Fortunately it hasn't happened to me, at least not yet. Ha ha. But the good news is it appears to be a software/firmware issue, rather than the hardware, which is great news.
I experienced both issues...upon startup (had to restart the car and drive it a couple times before the IPC came back) and during driving (blanks out for about 10-15 seconds). After a lot of back and forth with the dealer and also throwing a few links to the above article to them, they finally agreed to change the IPC last week. Since then I've had no problems. The IPC it self might be ok, but the memory bank it comes with, might have been faulty. Either way if your car is under warranty, I would recommend pushing your dealer to get the IPC replaced ( don't just settle for any software update they offer) if you get any of these symptoms. Some cars haven't been recalled for it even though the issue is apparent. I am hoping that late 2019 early 2020 models will see less of this, but early 2019 registered models are likely to have a late 2018 batch of parts which is why some 2019's are seeing the issue.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Even if you’re out of warranty and it blanks out for a few seconds while driving or is completely dead, Ford should replace with no cost to the owner. It’s a safety issue.

Honda has sort of the same thing going with the headlights of 2016-2017 Accords. The LED DRL is know for dying so Honda will replace the faulty headlight free of charge no matter many miles are on the vehicle as the law here requires DRL.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I am hoping that late 2019 early 2020 models will see less of this, but early 2019 registered models are likely to have a late 2018 batch of parts which is why some 2019's are seeing the issue.
Me too. Ha ha. My car was built in August 2019, so a pretty late build. Hope I'm free of that defect :).

Even if you’re out of warranty and it blanks out for a few seconds while driving, or is completely dead, Ford should replace with no cost to the owner. It’s a safety issue.
Unfortunately, that's not the case unless a recall was issued (they don't expire). Otherwise, it'd be at Ford's discretion to replace it (goodwill warranty). It's obviously easier to achieve if just a little out of warranty, vs quite a bit.

BEEJ1971

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
beej
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp premium recaro, roush upgrades
Just happened to wife as she's driving from Delray beach FL to Orlando for work. While driving entire dashboard blanked out for about 10 seconds then came back on. 2019 Bullitt. Guess I'll let my svc manager know to be ready for a cluster replacement.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

nickycohen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Hi from Australia. I picked up this thread having experienced the same issue in my 2019 Mustang GT. It had only done 27K kms when I bought it, and within days the first instrument cluster blackout occurred. I drove straight to the local Ford dealer who advised me they had never previously encountered the problem. Words I dread because it usually means they have no idea and don't give a toss.... The problem now comes and goes at random, and the first appointment I can get with the local Ford agency is two months away.
Sponsored