Sponsored

Differential bushing lockout kit.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Please summarize for someone like me, who is currently not in the topic, what exactly this is about.
The differential bushings as supplied by Ford are VERY soft and have heavy voids. This means the entire diff can twist and tilt with impunity when significant torque is applied. This is most obvious when folks try a hard launch and they experience wheel hope because the entire drivetrain is twisting and trying to tie itself in knots. By fixating the diff, the relative position of the axle no longer changes, the wheel end is considerably more stable, the drive-shaft is no longer chasing the pinion nose, and the tire is forced to dig in or spin, but no longer grab, skip, grab skip and cause tremendous shock stress to all the bolts in sheer. People break the bolts with some regularity.

The typical solution is a "puck" system as supplied by BMR or Steeda which sandwich the bushing and try to limit the freedom of motion. They work well enough but the downside is they tend to 'sing' at sympathetic resonance frequencies.

Whiteline's kits (puck and total replacement) use a softer polymer so generate much less noise. Whiteline unfortunately discontinued the KDT933 (total replacement) and the last unit sold was 6 months ago, despite the fact they TODAY continue to advertise it on the website and is marked "orderable".

So, I've asked WHitelineUSA to twist the arm of Whiteline (an AUS company) to restart production of 933 even if it's a one-off of 20-100 units. If we can convince them then I would like to offer the EU contingent access to these kits.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I went with the Steeda diff bushing kit. Ordered from Steeda.ca because it was a no-hassle purchase. My OEM drivers side diff bushing is torn. I don't even know how that happened. Red diff bushings to the rescue. About to get under the car soon as the garage is finally starting to warm above sub zero. I anticipate it to be another hell of a job like the last time I dropped the cradle. A real bitch on jack stands in a single car garage with nobody to help you.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The differential bushings as supplied by Ford are VERY soft and have heavy voids. This means the entire diff can twist and tilt with impunity when significant torque is applied. This is most obvious when folks try a hard launch and they experience wheel hope because the entire drivetrain is twisting and trying to tie itself in knots. By fixating the diff, the relative position of the axle no longer changes, the wheel end is considerably more stable, the drive-shaft is no longer chasing the pinion nose, and the tire is forced to dig in or spin, but no longer grab, skip, grab skip and cause tremendous shock stress to all the bolts in sheer.
Watch this video, but keep an eye on the diff bushings to see how much movement there is :

People break the bolts with some regularity.
Yeah, thanks for reminding me ... :facepalm: :giggle:

WD :like:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, I've asked WHitelineUSA to twist the arm of Whiteline (an AUS company) to restart production of 933 even if it's a one-off of 20-100 units. If we can convince them then I would like to offer the EU contingent access to these kits.
unfortunately the official word out of Aussie-land is "the molds have been destroyed" and production will not be forthcoming. I'm going to reach out to Whiteline business development and Steeda or BMR and maybe see if the parties would like to do a license deal. Fat chance, but it doesn't cost anything to ask...

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I’d like to find a stiffer bushing, complete replacement, and a larger through and through bolt solution. Get rid of the “lockout” and two bolt design.

I’ve seen them, kel-trac had them, but they seem to be out of production.
I have that kit on my car. Bushings are made by SuperPro of Australia. Gforce was selling them, but heard they landed a large oem contract and dropped alot of products including driveshafts. I assume gforce was importing the bushings as I do not see anyone in the US selling them.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
How hard would it be to whittle bushings out of delrin sp?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 9" lathe, I don't whittle nuthin'. I can buy Poly bar stock and have a spare IRS sitting outside I could use for dimensions. Or I could beg WL or BMR to share a technical drawing. Problem with the WH Poly is it's about shore 70A and is too soft to turn. I can make the inserts out of Delrin or 6061 for a fraction of what the usual suspects charge.

The fasteners are nothing special - easily sourced.

JCDriller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerad
Vehicle(s)
97 Cobra, 2001 Saleen, 2003 Cobra, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I just got this shipping notice, they much have the bushings back in production.

283C73A6-5A80-4CD0-8336-B371312737C5.png

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I just got this shipping notice, they much have the bushings back in production.

283C73A6-5A80-4CD0-8336-B371312737C5.png
Yep! My bud just took out his BMR diff mount bushings because the rear end noise was insane. He bought the Whitelines and installed them this weekend. Noise has been reduced by 60% and the rides so much better too.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
by all means let us know what actually comes in the mail. I called California and they re-confirmed, no new production, no inventory, still discontinued with no plans to resume.
Sponsored