Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Im not knocking how fun manuals are to drive, the reason why i dont have one is the mt-82! If they had put the tremec magnum in these cars i would have one! I love my auto especially with its 5c converter. Im done with remote shifter mounted manuals, its gotta be tremec toughness and consistency with a top mount shifter for me to switch. And until then i will run an auto.
Sponsored

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
The answer is pretty simple. If you like to row the gears all the time then get the manual. If you don't then get the Auto. Don't base it on which is faster because 99.9% of the time the difference, if any, won't matter in your daily driving.

My GT is an auto, my Focus ST is a manual. Both are a blast in their own way.
cars.jpg

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
This is the third time the MT tranny has been updated. This time the most significantly.

No trashing on it until driven.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
While I can appreciate the benefits of the 10 speed(obviously) I will still be buying the manual. There is nothing better than the feeling of executing a perfect shift/series of shifts especially in the twisties.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Im not knocking how fun manuals are to drive, the reason why i dont have one is the mt-82! If they had put the tremec magnum in these cars i would have one! I love my auto especially with its 5c converter. Im done with remote shifter mounted manuals, its gotta be tremec toughness and consistency with a top mount shifter for me to switch. And until then i will run an auto.

I've used an mt82 for 6 years now, two different cars. It's notchy as fuck but hasn't failed me yet.

Sponsored

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
So I will be purchasing a new 2018 gt PP this fall and am kinda torn about this new 10-spd auto coming out. Hearing about all of the camaro stories and expecting that the auto will be quicker (not to mention this getrag i have now 2011 GT has been the worst manual I have ever owned) has me leaning towards the auto for the first time ever since i have been driving sports cars.

Autos have come a long way in the last 20 years and now it looks like they may be converting this die hard manual guy and I am wondering if I am alone or if there is anyone else out there in the same boat.

92 fox gt
01 camaro SS
11 mustang GT / PP
18 Mustang GT ?
Manual all the way... As long as it's not the MT82...

But a 10-speed is VERY tempting.

John

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
As someone who is pretty active on these forums, and S550 FB pages, for the amount of manual cars out there running the MT-82 I have RARELY actually seen failures indicating it's a bad transmission. I have seen maybe 5 or so threads/post where 3rd/4th gear has blown out but where is the REAL data showing that it's such a horrible transmission? Is it clunky, ya sometimes, is it notchy, yes. Are those things that can be fixed with fairly cheap, easy mods, yes. I have put 13k miles on mine and I have yet to hate it. Sure when I miss a gear I blame it on the transmission but it's really my fault.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you drive a magnum xl like did on my last car, you realize how much a piece a junk the mt-82 is!!!!

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
As someone who is pretty active on these forums, and S550 FB pages, for the amount of manual cars out there running the MT-82 I have RARELY actually seen failures indicating it's a bad transmission. I have seen maybe 5 or so threads/post where 3rd/4th gear has blown out but where is the REAL data showing that it's such a horrible transmission? Is it clunky, ya sometimes, is it notchy, yes. Are those things that can be fixed with fairly cheap, easy mods, yes. I have put 13k miles on mine and I have yet to hate it. Sure when I miss a gear I blame it on the transmission but it's really my fault.
I am with you there Bud!!!:thumbsup:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
People just jump on the MT82 because it's a group think, herd mentality. In reality it's a transmission that is very well geared towards the Coyote and a lot of the issues are more related to the factory remote mount shifter and clutch slave.

Sponsored

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
I'm perfectly happy with my 2016 EB MT-82 now that I've swapped fluid for BG Syncroshift and the shifter for an MGW that is solidly mounted to the tranny instead of the floor.

I put almost 130k miles on my 2011 V6 with MT-82 and did nothing but change the shift knob to a B302 knob. The 2016 was noticeably better all OE, but is now light years better than the 2011 box.

I drive 400-mi/week and will buy cars with manual transmissions as my DD as long as they are still available. Maybe if the auto was standard and you had to pay a premium to get a manual (like you do on a Dodge Challenger), I would consider an A/T but not until that day comes !!

Doug

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
People just jump on the MT82 because it's a group think, herd mentality. In reality it's a transmission that is very well geared towards the Coyote and a lot of the issues are more related to the factory remote mount shifter and clutch slave.
So you say, my Mt-82 gave me trouble from day one worst tranny i ever had. why would I go and buy it a again. Take a look at the threads in the trans sections here or any other mustang forum, you'll find them littered with mt-82 issues most of them having the same issues i had! Naa no bandwagon crap here, just experiences! Add power to that tranny and the issues are magnified!

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
had my mt-82 tranny for 28k miles now, since november 2014. no problems.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I don't mind the MT-82,even though its one of the more harsher MT's I've driven. But that's why I love it, I love the grittiness of it :)

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
My Ford Ranger was a manual
My Focus ST was a manual
Mustang GT is a manual
My 80 Corvette has a Richmond gear 6 speed.

Given all that .... I would love to test drive a new 10 speed auto.
Wait .... my bicycle is a 10 speed.. but its a manual.
Sponsored