corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
but all the top stangs at the track are auto's, from powerglides to turbo 400's to 6r80's etc...
Not on my kind of track they aren't.

I can't remember ever seeing even one AT Mustang at NJMP.

Norm
Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
People should not call drag strips tracks.

Strips are for drag racing, tracks are for going around corners.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I figured the pro-ATM guys were talking about straight tracks, quarter mile not circuits.
I was responding specifically to Hi-PO Stang, who clearly meant circuits.

Norm

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I've seen a lot of manual circle jerks...but this is impressive even by those standards.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
But it's still a tesla as fast as they are I still prefer the mustang lol

I still don't understand this. I have a very early build 2011 GT 6spd (built in June, 2010) and I have had zero problems with it. I've hammered the crap out of it for 32,000 miles with 200 Treadwear tires for much of that time...original clutch is holding up great too.

:shrug:

It's not as heavy/solid feeling as the TR6060 in my dad's Shelby GT500...but it's still a pretty damn great transmission, IMO.

Maybe I just lucked out.

While you're right about the consistency question, I hate to say that you're wrong about the quoted part above. The fastest manual drivers will still get their asses handed to them by a modern auto on the drag strip. It's not humanly possible to shift that fast...and even if it was, the linkage or clutch would become the next bottleneck.

I hear what you're saying and you may be right but on a road course or autocross event, I feel I might personally be slower in the auto because I'll be devoting brain power to anticipating what the transmission is going to do next and if I need to intervene. I've been driving manuals for almost my entire driving life. It may be too late for me to relearn.
:headbonk:

YES! This is where I'm coming from too.

Face it guys, the Mustang is formidable for the money but in a couple of years, the base model 30K Tesla Model 3 will likely mop the floor with a Mustang GT. Already, the Model S beats any production car ever made to 60mph (really rooting for the Dodge Demon though!)...

...so I totally agree with this point. The manual transmission is already obsolete and therefore future proof. They still make them because they're fun as hell in a driver's car, fast or not.

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Red auto is better than blue manual

So you want die hard manual guys to tell you, apparently a not so die hard manual guy, what to do?

I vote stick with the manual, still more fun to drive any day of the week.
Everyone knows that a red Mustang shifts better with an auto trans than a blue one with a manual. However, a Metallic Magnetic shifts better than either color regardless of the transmission.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Manual all the way. I got a chance to drive a GTR once and while it was pretty damn fast, it was just meh. I don't drag race for a living so why get an auto?

The feeling of being connected, the shifts is what completes the whole driving experience. With that said, the MT-82 has improved over the years and while it's not as good as the TR6060, I'm sure it will be fine.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I'm such a fan of manual transmissions that I even bought a 'stang with a MT82 in it! Even with known failures and knowing enough "service advisor" friends...

Been doing this since I was 13, don't know any better way to drive.

Now, if the 'stang had a DCT (with PDK or alike performance), it might change my mind...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've seen a lot of manual circle jerks...but this is impressive even by those standards.
Last I checked, this thread was still titled "Die hard Manual guys get in here!".

Not "Die hard Manual guys get in here so the diehard drag racers can call us names!".

Norm

Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
I'm not a racer I'm not an automotive technician I'm just a guy who's been driving for 40 plus years I like my manual transmission besides the girls love a guy who know how to handle his stick.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Literally just ordered my car . 17 grabber blue gt and had the hardest time decideing auto or stick . Plan is to go procharger . And I wana hear the blow off all the time so I went stick lol and for 1500 I can put a new clutch in it and never worry. I've done the auto thing and mustang and manual just makes more sense

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
My dick's bigger than your dick and my dad can beat up your dad.

That sums these threads up.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Last I checked, this thread was still titled "Die hard Manual guys get in here!".

Not "Die hard Manual guys get in here so the diehard drag racers can call us names!".

Norm
This thread adds about as much value as a turbo vs supercharger thread, everyone is bias to what they have! So whats the point?
Sponsored