Diagnosing a bad evap purge valve?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
On my Whippled 2015 I recently installed a UPR catch can system, Mak Cat deletes, and attempted to adjust TPS but couldn't. Did succeed in marring up the magnet a bit....

Around the same time I've started to hear a clicking sound from the drivers side engine compartment at start up and my idle is erratic. The car idles about 850 then to about 1000. Not stumbling just idling up. Seems to clear up after driving. No CEL's

Think its my evap purge solenoid. I am thinking if I unplug it...get no noise and the car idles better I've found my problem.

However, Is there a better way to diagnose this issue?
Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Yes.

Unplug the pigtail connector to the purge valve. Then disconnect the purge hose going into the valve itself. Now, with the engine running put your finger over the opening where the hose was. If you feel suction on your finger with the engine running, then you will know the purge valve has failed in the open position and was allowing unmetered air into the intake stream.

This is a common failure that FORD has known about for many years, but continues not to fix the issue by producing a better purge valve. Mine failed with less than 3,000 miles on my GT.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yes.

Unplug the pigtail connector to the purge valve. Then disconnect the purge hose going into the valve itself. Now, with the engine running put your finger over the opening where the hose was. If you feel suction on your finger with the engine running, then you will know the purge valve has failed in the open position and was allowing unmetered air into the intake stream.

This is a common failure that FORD has known about for many years, but continues not to fix the issue by producing a better purge valve. Mine failed with less than 3,000 miles on my GT.
Thanks great information!

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I had a similar noise, granted not FI or anything...but a TB replacement fixed my ticking.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar noise, granted not FI or anything...but a TB replacement fixed my ticking.
I am actually a little worried its the TB after I meddled with it. Was your idle wonky?

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I am actually a little worried its the TB after I meddled with it. Was your idle wonky?
Little bit. You should be able to see the butterfly door ever so slightly opening with the tick. Enough so to throw off a smooth idle.

My TB was OEM...unsure of where you stand with that, but mine was an easy fix.

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
What’s the part number for the evap purge valve? Mine just threw code P1450 and I’m certain that’s the culprit.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
What’s the part number for the evap purge valve? Mine just threw code P1450 and I’m certain that’s the culprit.
Motorcraft part number: CX-2409

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
My issue turned out to be the throttle body.....actually the fact that I meddled with it. However these purge valves are so cheap I may just replace it next time I'm under the hood.

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
did this throw a code? and were your afr's weird too

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
My issue turned out to be the throttle body.....actually the fact that I meddled with it. However these purge valves are so cheap I may just replace it next time I'm under the hood.
Told ya so! Glad it's sorted for you!

MurphDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT California Special
what is it about the throttle body that causes the code? I've had my '16 GT for less than 2 weeks and saw P0443 and P1450 pop up tonight?

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
TB has nothing to do with it. The symptoms are the same as TPS being off. You need a new purge valve,

MurphDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT California Special
TB has nothing to do with it. The symptoms are the same as TPS being off. You need a new purge valve,
Took a look at the part. If I need to I will do it myself, but going to see if the warranty covers it tomorrow by bringing it to the dealership. Thanks.

BayouLos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Do you happen to know where that valve is located within the engine bay? Is it along the fuel rail, TB, driver side?
Sponsored