Sponsored

Depreciation/long-term value?

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
To me the wildcard on this car in the engine. While the boss was a SE vehicle, the drivetrain itself wasn't as unique vs. the regular GT as the GT350 vs regular GT. If the engine isn't replicated in something else and if they hold up relatively well from a reliability stand point it may stay higher in value. Who knows, this might be the last NA/manual only SE car that FP puts out...

E92 M3s might also be a good metric of how the value will hold on the GT350s for similar reasoning
Sponsored

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
Wait for the GT500 to come out and then look to pick up a GT350? But still expect it to depreciate from there?
I'm not sure the GT500 will hurt the GT350, they are different cars with different target markets. Some people want a more dedicated track/handling car, the GT500 will always be more known as a drag strip king than a circuit racer.
Looking back at 2014 GT500 prices in my area, people are still trying to get 50k+ for used ones. :headbonk:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&trimCodeList=MUST|Shelby GT500&numRecords=25

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I'm not sure the GT500 will hurt the GT350, they are different cars with different target markets. Some people want a more dedicated track/handling car, the GT500 will always be more known as a drag strip king than a circuit racer.
Looking back at 2014 GT500 prices in my area, people are still trying to get 50k+ for used ones. :headbonk:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&trimCodeList=MUST|Shelby GT500&numRecords=25
The S550 is a superior chassis. The next GT500 will have power and handling to offer. It won't be just a drag queen like the S197.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
S197 GT500 wasn't THAT bad of a performer around the track In most situations its few seconds behind the 350. The S550 GT500 will best the 350 by a considerable amount I'm thinking. While that is bad for resale values, its good for someone wanting to pick up one hell of a great NA FPC mustang. The S550 will always have the 5.2 FPC stigma its whole life. I can see it keeping a decent resale for that alone. I'd say most depreciation will happen at around 5 years, so 2022 ( maybe 35K ish). Most will have better performance from here on out, but most likely wont have a FPC and manual tranny. If 2018 wasn't happening, then you'd be looking at good numbers with only around 12,000 FPC's out there. With 1/3rd more coming in '18, that drops it like a rock.
We shall see.

88mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread or anything :ninja:, however now that we are talking about depreciation I'd like to hear your thoughts regarding my situation.

I live in Chile and the GT350 is not sold by Ford dealerships here. Therefore I'm importing this bad boy directly from the US (lots of paperwork, risks, work and additional costs involved). My gut tells me that by the end of production there should not be more than 5 GT350s in the whole country (currently there's only 1, with mine being the second when it arrives in February). Given that in Chile you CAN'T import used cars (only new ones) it means that once the GT350 is out of production you can no longer get your hands on it (unless you wait like 20 or so years when you can import it as a "classic" car).

So, what's your guess on how would depreciation should look like for me in say 5 years?

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Depreciation

The GT350 will depreciate like any other car. A car is not an investment (especially if you intend to drive it rather than keep it in an air conditioned environment and never drive it). My dad thought he had something special in 2008 with his Corvette Z06 with the 505hp motor, then they put that motor in a Crapmaro, lol. Wouldn't be surprised if that happens with our beloved FPC 5.2. Be realistic, they are already putting a bunch of GT350 exclusive parts on the GT in 2018... active dual mode exhaust, Magneride suspension, etc.

Do you want the car or not? If you are trying to make money off of it, find another place to put your money. It's a bad ass car, brings smiles to my face every time I drive it, and in the past month have had a guy in a new M3 and AMG E63 both go out of their way to follow me, park near me, and ask me about my car, then drive off... they had no intentions of even stopping where I was in both cases.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I agree it will depreciate like many cars but I'd add a * to that. It will depreciate like many "special enthusiast cars". These cars will stay very relevant and I think will drop initially and hit a solid market value..maybe a bit higher than some of you are guessing.

Can you imagine how many people would line up in 5 years to buy a package like this for $30k??? That price, for this car in good shape, in only 5 years will be so attractive to people, it will drive the price up. I don't see a nice car selling for less than $40k in 5 years.

The R is another story. It's really a big question mark for those.

Will be fun to come back to this thread in a few years to see.

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
I agree it will depreciate like many cars but I'd add a * to that. It will depreciate like many "special enthusiast cars". These cars will stay very relevant and I think will drop initially and hit a solid market value..maybe a bit higher than some of you are guessing.

Can you imagine how many people would line up in 5 years to buy a package like this for $30k??? That price, for this car in good shape, in only 5 years will be so attractive to people, it will drive the price up. I don't see a nice car selling for less than $40k in 5 years.

At 30k I'd gut and cage this car and make it a track rat.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
At 30k I'd gut and cage this car and make it a track rat.
You and a ton of other people...and guess what happens when demand is higher than supply? Price goes up. I suspect/hope many of us will be pleasantly surprised in 5 years.

The ONLY thing that has a big potential to kill it is if you can buy a 2022 GT that outperforms the GT350 for $35k-$45k... and with Ford, that's very possible.

The other side of that is to see how quickly the swing to electric Mustangs goes for Ford ;)

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech

Agreed, great viewpoint. Annnnndddd, I've got $30K ready for anyone willing to sell theirs right now, not picky, base/tech/track/R, let me help take it off your hands, lol.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Agreed, great viewpoint. Annnnndddd, I've got $30K ready for anyone willing to sell theirs right now, not picky, base/tech/track/R, let me help take it off your hands, lol.
To echo most of you guys - cars are not a good investment. Every once in a while a certain model can see something out of the norm (read GT2) but to buy a car depending on some kind of gain or reduced depreciation is quite a gamble.

Alaskan9974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 gt premium & '17 gt350
I agree. Look what low mileage S197 Boss 302s are selling for:

If my car is worth 30k in a few years I would surely consider to selling to buy it's replacement. TBH I have no interest in those older cars, and I suspect most buyers will have the same reaction for paying 35K+ for a 3-4 year old car in a dated chassis.

Most guys on here appreciate their cars more then the average buyer. does. Most buyers purchase these types of cars on looks, or pure HP numbers.

What is the average person going to be interested in, a supercharged Mustang GT with 730hp with a warranty, or a gt350 with "only" 530hp for $10k more.

I don't think Ford has done a good job promoting the performance and handling differences over a regular Mustang.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You and a ton of other people...and guess what happens when demand is higher than supply? Price goes up. I suspect/hope many of us will be pleasantly surprised in 5 years.

The ONLY thing that has a big potential to kill it is if you can buy a 2022 GT that outperforms the GT350 for $35k-$45k... and with Ford, that's very possible.

The other side of that is to see how quickly the swing to electric Mustangs goes for Ford ;)
Not if that performance comes at the cost of a fully auto tranny and no more NA v8.

At this point performance across the board is so great that ultimate selling points are shifting to other things. Look at the crazy porsche guys who spend a ton on 993s and now even the 997GT cars, even though the modern base 911s have amazing performance

With that being said, I think the GT350 depreciation curve will be much less steep than others in the segment. It might dip some with the 2018 coming into play, but give it a few years and it will bottom out and remain pretty steady IMO.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Not if that performance comes at the cost of a fully auto tranny and no more NA v8.

At this point performance across the board is so great that ultimate selling points are shifting to other things. Look at the crazy porsche guys who spend a ton on 993s and now even the 997GT cars, even though the modern base 911s have amazing performance

With that being said, I think the GT350 depreciation curve will be much less steep than others in the segment. It might dip some with the 2018 coming into play, but give it a few years and it will bottom out and remain pretty steady IMO.
I agree. The Audi RS4 that I just picked up is one of those cars that has hit a price and kind of sits there. Nice low-mileage cars still in the 30s and have been for a couple of years. These cars are 10 years old now. So 50% of their value in 10 years. I dare say the 350 will be similar and maybe better.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I believe depreciation will depend on how much longer they will make the Voodoo engine and whether or not they will update it in the future in one way or another.
Sponsored