Sponsored

Decklid panel fitment

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm positive. This is how I aligned my taillights to the decklid panel. You will most likely find that these are turned all the way in. So to move the taillights out you will need to turn adjustment screws counterclockwise after you loosen the three taillight mounting nuts.
This is great info, thank you :like:

@Tinpot :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Reactions: NJ3

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
20240510_184508.jpg

Ok I just went out and tried this. You weren't lying, they are indeed adjustable. The fitment isnt perfect, but its much, much better. Thank you so much! šŸ»
It's a Mustang, panel fit will never be perfect.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
The taillights have 3 adjustment screws similar to headlight adjustment screws. You will need to remove the 4 threaded plastic net attachments, two on each side, and remove the trunk trim panel. Then loosen the taillight mounting nuts a bit. Then loosen the adjustment screws, I think they are a 4.5 mm, to move the taillights out to match the decklid.

I tried to adjust my decklid first and made things worse.
(There is a third mounting screw with an adjustment screw for each taillight against the quarter panel on each side. They should be loosened and adjusted to prevent damage to the taillight assembly.)

Don't pay attention to the dirt.

20240510_175411.jpg

20240510_175430.jpg
Hey @AZ_Ryan hope you are well.
You can adjust this. I've changed out my decklid panel on my GT/CS to one of the newer styled GT/CS decklid panels. Now, removing the panel from the car to change it out is frustrating in my opinion, but you aren't doing that... just aligning it so I would say half the job. When I installed the one I wanted I actually had to go back and adjust it myself as I didn't align it properly - it looked similar to your photos. It is pretty easy to align.
You are right though, the stock one on my 2016 was even from the factory. Seems like someone on the assembly line may have been a bit careless putting yours on. Basically there are 4 holes on the inside of the trunk and 4 tabs in the top of the decklid with clips on them. You would need to remove a lot of plastic tabs and the inside lining of the trunk to scoot it over a bit but that is the extent of your job. This is totally manageable to align the decklid yourself. Use some force to scoot the panel over a bit. Luckily you aren't removing the panel entirely which can be stressful since the clips that go into the holes are a royal pain in the butt to get out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Hey @AZ_Ryan hope you are well.
You can adjust this. I've changed out my decklid panel on my GT/CS to one of the newer styled GT/CS decklid panels. Now, removing the panel from the car to change it out is frustrating in my opinion, but you aren't doing that... just aligning it so I would say half the job. When I installed the one I wanted I actually had to go back and adjust it myself as I didn't align it properly - it looked similar to your photos. It is pretty easy to align.
You are right though, the stock one on my 2016 was even from the factory. Seems like someone on the assembly line may have been a bit careless putting yours on. Basically there are 4 holes on the inside of the trunk and 4 tabs in the top of the decklid with clips on them. You would need to remove a lot of plastic tabs and the inside lining of the trunk to scoot it over a bit but that is the extent of your job. This is totally manageable to align the decklid yourself. Use some force to scoot the panel over a bit. Luckily you aren't removing the panel entirely which can be stressful since the clips that go into the holes are a royal pain in the butt to get out.
You're a little late with the comment. Read up. šŸ˜‰

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
You're a little late with the comment. Read up. šŸ˜‰
lol I see now you already did it...
I don't have time to read through all the comments!!
I try to be helpful and answer the first question, then move on. šŸ¤£

2023EGM1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nico
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1, 2019 Audi S4
It worked perfectly, I also removed the ugly ā€œcloth spacerā€ that was showing itself below the lights. A lot better now, I have to fix the doors fitment nowā€¦

OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
It worked perfectly, I also removed the ugly ā€œcloth spacerā€ that was showing itself below the lights. A lot better now, I have to fix the doors fitment nowā€¦
Is there an adjustment for the door fitment...?

Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Learned something new today! Just FYI the nuts for the taillights are 10mm, and you can use a 4mm socket to make adjustments to the studs once the nuts are loosened off.

OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Learned something new today! Just FYI the nuts for the taillights are 10mm, and you can use a 4mm socket to make adjustments to the studs once the nuts are loosened off.
And one of my adjustment screws was really tight initially. Since they seem to be tightened all the way in from the factory, you may need to put a socket on them with a little force to get them to break lose before you back them out. Just make sure you are going COUNTER CLOCKWISE. Other wise you might break the housing if you go the wrong way.

Last edited:

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Wow. I have the same problem!. Here I was thinking It was a design flaw and not worth stressing over. Someone at the factory just didnā€™t want to be bothered I guess and went full screw in. Thanks for the thread. I will definitely add to the to do list.
Sponsored