Dash scratch

Templarum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
I was changing out my start/stop button and like a dumbass my hand slipped and ran the pick diagonally down and put a tiny scratch around the seven o'clock position right below the button. It's not deep but I am annoyed by it.

Do you guys know any tricks for sanding or polishing it out? All the cleaners and polishes I have say definitely not to use on soft plastics, and I don't want to make it worse.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I was changing out my start/stop button and like a dumbass my hand slipped and ran the pick diagonally down and put a tiny scratch around the seven o'clock position right below the button. It's not deep but I am annoyed by it.

Do you guys know any tricks for sanding or polishing it out? All the cleaners and polishes I have say definitely not to use on soft plastics, and I don't want to make it worse.

Any thoughts?
A picture would help us to help you.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Don't try to sand or polish, it will only make it worse. Most of the visibility is the small shreds of plastic that come out of the groove and cling to the edges. Try running the plastic butt of a screwdriver over it, it blends the shreds back into the groove or shears them off. If that doesn't work you can turn to a heat gun but that requires very careful, measured application. The goal being to just slightly melt the plastic shards back down and eliminate the whiteness that they reflect. If you do manage to melt them just right without melting anything else, avoid touching it until it completely cools or you will leave a mar in the plastic.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I did the same thing

Just ignore it you’ll forget about it

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thats not a scratch. :giggle: I was expecting something worse. That might dissapear with an application of Chemicalguys VRP. It will make it less noticeable at least.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
A little dab of flat black latex paint applied with your fingertip then brush lightly with water on another finger tip to remove excess paint and fill just the scratch.......should make it invisible!! :wink:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Literally undrivable now...
This made me laugh...always glad to see others that think the way I do 😂

For what it's worth, I'd leave it alone. Unless you have experience fixing this type of thing, chances are you'll make it worse and end up having to fork our for a new front panel, and I'd bet you don't want the headache of swapping that out!

As I said though, I'm the same. I'd be tempted to hit it with a fine felt tip marker to see if that makes it less visible.

OP
OP
Templarum

Templarum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
Awesome responses. Thanks for all the valuable advice, I'm glad I didn't have a go at polishing it. I wish I could ignore it, but that was never an option...

I'll try some of the more gentle methods and leave it at that. I'm sure it will turn out fine.
Sponsored