Sponsored

Scratch on dash

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Just got time to be able to clean the car like I want, and noticed a scratch on the dash? At least that’s why I think it is. Tried Adam’s interior detailer and it didn’t help any. Wondering if anyone has an suggestions on what to try as I contacted my salesperson and they said to bring it in next week if I can’t fix it at home.

0AA30321-18BB-4EB3-9297-06589119E4AF.jpeg
9DEDA1BC-6F9F-4226-A623-D3A6F8E0E2E5.jpeg
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
That’s really bad luck because replacing the dash is a major job with the possibilities of creating other issues

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s really bad luck because replacing the dash is a major job with the possibilities of creating other issues
Yeah, he said they’d just probably buy the car back at that point. Issue is I wouldn’t have anything to drive because they don’t have anything on the lot lol.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Use a heat gun and it should clear right up. I‘ve done this in my Bullitt and It worked great! Put it on high setting and move it side to side really fast. Once It gets warm, rub it with your finger (if needed), to blend it in.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Use a heat gun and it should clear right up. I‘ve done this in my Bullitt and It worked great! Put it on high setting and move it side to side really fast. Once It gets warm, rub it with your finger (if needed), to blend it in.
Is it a scratch or a chemical blemish?

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Is it a scratch or a chemical blemish?
Mine were scratches (that I caused myself when removing the center console for stereo upgrades) and the heat gun erased them like magic.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This video shows how it's done.

I would show extreme caution with the softer material on the dashboard though. Perhaps try a hair dryer rather than a heat gun first.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This video shows how it's done.

I would show extreme caution with the softer material on the dashboard though. Perhaps try a hair dryer rather than a heat gun first.
I’ll look at it tomorrow. Don’t know if it’ll work though because it’s in the “leather” portion of the dash and not plastic.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I’ll look at it tomorrow. Don’t know if it’ll work though because it’s in the “leather” portion of the dash and not plastic.
The "leather" is still a plastic/vinyl.

I would actually try an interior dressing first and see if that disguises it before hitting it with heat, something like 303 Protectant.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The "leather" is still a plastic/vinyl.

I would actually try an interior dressing first and see if that disguises it before hitting it with heat, something like 303 Protectant.
I actually have some of that I believe. I’ll try it in the morning first and hopefully that’ll take care of it.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I actually have some of that I believe. I’ll try it in the morning first and hopefully that’ll take care of it.
Yes, it should work. Mine was in the leather portion and it looks completely normal now. I haven’t tried it on plastic before

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The pics/vids appear to show the heated areas having a different sheen. Am I imagining that or is there something to do to even it out other than heating the entire surface?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Randy: In my limited experience with the process, I'd have to say it mainly depends on the mar/mark itself. But in any case, I would use a nozzle on the heat gun to only heat the affected area because you can wind up having to do the whole thing due to the sheen change.

In most cases, you're attempting to make the mar more glossy, and darker to blend in and that is what heat does to automotive vinyl, at least the Ford plastics with which I have some experience.

Hope it works out.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Randy: In my limited experience with the process, I'd have to say it mainly depends on the mar/mark itself. But in any case, I would use a nozzle on the heat gun to only heat the affected area because you can wind up having to do the whole thing due to the sheen change.

In most cases, you're attempting to make the mar more glossy, and darker to blend in and that is what heat does to automotive vinyl, at least the Ford plastics with which I have some experience.

Hope it works out.
Thanks. I don't have any scratches. Just curious in case I ever do.
Sponsored