Sponsored

Scratch buffing

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I rubbed against one of my outdoor trash cans the other night backing up. I have a few VERY light scratches. I've never tried "buffing them out" before, but the term gets tossed around quite a bit.

Anything specific I need to know? I've looked on youtube some. I dont have a buffer. Best product? I have a turtle wax scratch kit I bought for my truck but never used.

Also, I applied Klasse sealant glaze a few months ago. Any chance those scratches might just be on the glaze? I guess I would need a dish soap wash to find out for sure.
Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Not to be an ass but can you not reference the 30+ other detailing threads that cover this and then come back with specific questions and possibly pictures that will help to determine the extent of the damage?

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Not to be an ass but can you not reference the 30+ other detailing threads that cover this and then come back with specific questions and possibly pictures that will help to determine the extent of the damage?
If everyone searched for everything on M6G or any other forum (seeing as how everything everywhere has been covered multiple times already), no one would talk and the forum would die. The scratches are too light for pics. Plus, fresh questions get fresh opinions, etc. :)

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Impossible to say without seeing it. Like asking if you need a root canal without opeining your mouth for the dentist to look.

What is mild to some is bad to others and vice versa.

You will never get "great" results without a DA polisher doing it by hand, unless you sit there for an hour working the area before your arm falls off. Nothing can beat the thousands of RPMs per min a machine gives you. But if they truely are fine they may come out by hand. Mild may not.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Might be worth trying a little clay bar first. I had what I thought was a scratch on my spoiler that would not scrub off. I think it was kind of mar from my damn electric leaf blower nozzle. Clay bar took it right off and it looks good as new. Course if you can tell it's a scratch then might be time for something more dramatic. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I'll give er a shot. I have a bit left over from claying my truck.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Light scratches could be compounded then polished, a little deeper may need wetsanding, which would need to be done at a body shop they could check clear thickness. These cars have very little clear. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail you will likely have to live with it or get it blended by a body shop, although a good detailer may be able to minimize them to where you are satisfied. Pics would help for sure.
My neighbors grandaughter took an abrasive pot cleaning pad to his car door and really worked it over. I was able to wetsand with 2000, then 2500, then polish it out with fg400 menzerna. I applied a double coat of collinite 915 and this process corrected most of the damage. You had to look hard and offset angles in bright light to see the damage we couldn't remove.
Sponsored