Dash cam

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Thanks! I am leaning towards either the sony fdr-x3000 or the GoPro. It seems based on the reviews the Sony has the best stabilization .
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks! I am leaning towards either the sony fdr-x3000 or the GoPro. It seems based on the reviews the Sony has the best stabilization .
Check out the Hero 7. The in-camera stabilization is pretty nuts. You *almost* don't need a gimbal anymore.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I used a Hero 5 Session on the track, which has image stabilization, and didn't feel the need for any additional stabilization.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
It looks like GoPro has a deal for $100 off when you trade in any digital camera that cost at least $99 when new towards a hero 7 regardless if it works or not.

swamp_gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So from what I have read on this forum so far not that many here care too much for the GoPro.Is it due to the cost? I have talked to a few people who really like them as a standalone video recorder and maybe that is the reason. Please leave your comments?
Problem with a GoPro isn't designed to run as a dash cam. It doesn't automatically turn on/off, have parking recording, crash detection, etc. Also, depending on where you live, sitting in direct sunlight with a lithium ion battery might be bad news.
Yeah, the GoPros are hit or miss for me, but I run one every time I take the car out, and overall, I highly recommend it, even if you have a separate dashcam. I had a Hero 5 Black that I used reliably for a while, and I could leave it running while I had the car parked somewhere(resulting in great 'looky lou' footage :p), and it did ok overall with 4K video.

mustanglooker..png

Even with 4K resolution files, it wasn't that bad to transfer over the data and browse to the cool parts, quick edit, and save for couch adrenaline sessions when I couldn't take the car out.

TraceClip1.png

The Hero 6 Black and the Fusion both had excessive overheating issues and neither camera could be left running in the car on a normal summer day like the Hero 5 Black could. If you use a gopro and suffer overheating issues, I'd move it back off of the dash completely to avoid direct sunlight, or try an older model that didn't have too much demand on the processor that would require additional cooling measures. The Fusion 360 is a fun idea in concept and can act as multiple cameras in one, allowing some great editing and camera angles, but I had to return my first one, the resolution is a bit lacking, and it takes an eternity to pull the footage from the camera and stitch it. If you leave it running while on spirited drives, those unstitched files will have to be moved to the editing device and then stitched with software, which can take take a loooooong time(12-24hrs or longer depending on files). 360 video can be quite entertaining though. Once stitched, you can open up the file and take a screenshot, then upload it to a site like Momento360, and spam it to your friends.

https://momento360.com/e/u/052a3022...dium=other&heading=0&pitch=0&field-of-view=75

As I'm sure you all know, these cars can illicit some strange and entertaining responses and exchanges out in public. Having footage of the event only makes it better, and allows us to relive the experience again and again couchside.

StangLover.png

Over time, one can build a unique and fun library of our daily adventures to further enjoy our Shelby experience!

ThumbsUp.png

:thumbsup:

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I see that it comes with adhesive. Can this be removed each time from the windshield or is there a suction cup accessory?

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I like the Vantrue T2. You can power it via ODBII port. That allows you to use the parking mode when the car is off as the ODBII port is always powered. So no need to deal with hard wires or fuses. For an extra $20 you can get the mount that has built in GPS that will enable you to also record your speed and location. Works as advertised so far but have not had it that long yet.
Similarly, I am running the Vantrue N2 Pro Dual dash cam (in another car; I don't have a GT350...yet!). But I plan to get another N2 Pro for my eventual GT350. I like that is has the dual cam to record the inside cabin while also capturing the outside of the car through the windows. Also nice when it's parked with motion detection so it captures anyone looking into the car, etc. I also use the OBD and think it's hands down the best way to power the unit. I had to get an external OBD power cable though as the N2 Pro didn't come with one. But I can set it to power off after 5 mins or I can set it to always on but auto-shutoff once the battery hits a certain voltage. The one thing I do like about the T2, though, is it runs a supercapacitor, so it'll take more heat. But I think the N2 Pro will be fine.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Please post the link?
Thanks
The N2 Pro dual cam is the one I have, build quality is very nice: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742J69S...olid=2Z3NBAPS2PT6H&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If you scroll down the Amazon link, you'll be able to compare the Vantrue models. This coupon code gets you $40 off of $200 to make it $160: JNMG555X (not my code, I found it on a YT video some guy had the code for everyone viewing his video). During Prime Day, it went for $136.

Here is the OBD cable that makes powering it up so convenient:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS33J2N/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I just bought a gopro 6 last week, and never saw anything about a 7. Figures they'd come out with it only a couple weeks later.

I really like the gopro for track days because they have good suction cup mounts and smooth video. The sound is pretty bad if they are mounted on the exterior of the car (just wind noise), and the 6 does not have a microphone input. You need to get a USB-C to mic adapter, which are cheap on amazon or expensive directly from gopro. I don't have a mic for mine, so tend to mount on the interior of the car with the suction cup.

They aren't great as a "full" dash cam due to eating through batteries quickly and for being relatively large and bulky. Therefore you can't really just leave them in the car recording for long periods. They do a great job capturing video though.

-T

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I just bought a gopro 6 last week, and never saw anything about a 7. Figures they'd come out with it only a couple weeks later.

I really like the gopro for track days because they have good suction cup mounts and smooth video. The sound is pretty bad if they are mounted on the exterior of the car (just wind noise), and the 6 does not have a microphone input. You need to get a USB-C to mic adapter, which are cheap on amazon or expensive directly from gopro. I don't have a mic for mine, so tend to mount on the interior of the car with the suction cup.

They aren't great as a "full" dash cam due to eating through batteries quickly and for being relatively large and bulky. Therefore you can't really just leave them in the car recording for long periods. They do a great job capturing video though.

-T
The GoPro 7 will be released Oct 2nd. I traded a old digital camera in for one to get $100 off.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I see that it comes with adhesive. Can this be removed each time from the windshield or is there a suction cup accessory?
Most of the dash cam mount adhesives are considered permanent, and although they can be removed, not something you'd want to attempt regularly.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Most of the dash cam mount adhesives are considered permanent, and although they can be removed, not something you'd want to attempt regularly.
Yea I decided to purchase the suction cup accessory for that reason.