Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT premium
this:
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html?wid=2

dashcam with great reviews and a capacitor. Available under different names on amazon, too
don't need to run wires either.

Invisicord makes a solid product but you could find one at aliexpress.com for a lot cheaper
dashcam-pic.jpg
invisicord_5vusb.jpg
Sponsored

hasimp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 - Oxford White w/ Blue Stripes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Power-A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Editing my original post to say this product works great. I was missing some pins to actually extend into the sockets which is why it wouldn't work originally. I found some crimp pins online and had them shipped (cost about $10 for 10 of them with shipping). I placed the wires inside the crimp pins and closed them using pliers before wrapping them in electrical tape and they worked right away. Cost me about $5 for the whole setup if you take face value of the two pins I needed, which is much better than the $25 you would spend for the Invisicord product.

Last edited:

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Subbed. Interested in the dashcam powered by the back of the mirror power supply

Dkar26

MaxPower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT premium
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Power-A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I bought this recently based on the idea someone else posted in here and it arrived today. I tried plugging it in and I know I got the ports correct but the dash cam still didn't turn on after starting the car. Any ideas? I know I've got to be missing something.
I got the same converter for my F-150...I soldered the wire tips to make them harder and then pounded them a little to make the tips flat and thin enough to insert. This makes pushing them into the ports much easier.

The invisicord brand is $26 and this cheapo Chinese brand is the same for $3. I used the invisicord for the Mustang. It's only benefit is that it has hardened tips and a sticker for attaching it to the windshield.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Has anyone installed a Thinkware F800Pro (2ch) in an S550? Wondering how to best route the wiring to the back (maybe pull the headliner?)

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Has anyone installed a Thinkware F800Pro (2ch) in an S550? Wondering how to best route the wiring to the back (maybe pull the headliner?)
I installed one of these in my GT last year. I routed the rear cam wiring under the headliner on the passenger side, it was the easiest part of the install. No need to pull the headliner, just be careful the wire run doesn't interfere with side curtain airbags. Simple install, having some plastic trim tools helps.

Front Cam - this is the best position I've found to mount it. I tried mounting it higher up in the black to hide the camera a little and make it harder to see but dash cams have a wide angle lens and it will pick up the black perfs. This spot gives an unobstructed view of the front. Most people won't notice the cam anyway.

48607789477_3c6f81a6b3_c.jpg

Rear Cam. I have heavy tint on the back glass and its hard to see it from outside the car. I had to bump up the brightness setting on the rear cam to overcome the tint. I stowed all the excess wire in the headliner near the camera.
48607276498_066dd1cc74_c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: A7X

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Here's how I ended up positioning the F800 Pro. I used the plastic channel for the mirror wiring harness to run the power and rear camera wire up into the headliner. As clean as I could do it. Camera is a little off center but it's also probably as hidden as possible.
IMG-6713.JPG
IMG-6714.JPG
IMG-6715.JPG

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Anyone with a 3 wire kit + viofo a129 care to mention how long their camera runs in park mode before the low voltage cut off shuts down the cam?

I have mine set for 12v and it shuts off after 24 hours. Just want to see if that's normal.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on the parking mode you are using and how busy the area you are parked is. If you are getting 24 hours using motion detection there must not be much traffic in the area. I park in a busy high volume lot for work, my 2 channel camera would only record for 3-4 hours max using motion detection before battery protection kicked in, set at 12.1 V. I had to get an external battery to power it.

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Depends on the parking mode you are using and how busy the area you are parked is. If you are getting 24 hours using motion detection there must not be much traffic in the area. I park in a busy high volume lot for work, my 2 channel camera would only record for 3-4 hours max using motion detection before battery protection kicked in, set at 12.1 V. I had to get an external battery to power it.
I am using time lapse. 1 fps.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Questions about dash cams:

1) Do any of them offer cloud or wireless capability for d/ling or xferring saved footage to another device - instead of having to rely on an installed micro card that has to be physically ejected and then plugged into a computer to access or xfer footage?

2) For capturing rearward video, are there any cams that can record well enough from the front mount instead of having to mount an additional or 2nd cam at the rear window?

3) How good are the night vision recordings on some of these cams - are captured license plates legible?

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. Yes, I can download vids from my Thinkware camera using the camera's wireless or the phones hotspot. Some have cloud, usually upper end models.

2. Yes, but I don't know if they can capture images as well as a dedicated rear mounted camera. Probably not.

3. My F800 Pro records good images at night but will not capture a plate number unless it is directly in front of me and it has to be close, a car length or maybe a car and half. Off angle images - I usually cannot read plate numbers on cars in the adjacent lanes at night. The rear cam doesn't do as well as the front at night plus I have dark tint on the back glass which doesn't help. My camera is couple of years old, the new models may do better.

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Questions about dash cams:

1) Do any of them offer cloud or wireless capability for d/ling or xferring saved footage to another device - instead of having to rely on an installed micro card that has to be physically ejected and then plugged into a computer to access or xfer footage?

2) For capturing rearward video, are there any cams that can record well enough from the front mount instead of having to mount an additional or 2nd cam at the rear window?

3) How good are the night vision recordings on some of these cams - are captured license plates legible?
1. Yes. The viofo allows you to connect to it over WiFi and download using their app.

2. Majority of cams that have two channels will only record 1080p video when recording both or will record higher if recording the front camera only. This is because the processor doesn't have enough processing power to encode two streams of more than 1080p.

3. The cheap cams aren't spectacular because they don't have forward IR, they rely on high iso and ambient light. But regardless you get decent quality.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I have had an owlcam since August. The app still has a couple of bugs but I love that I can check in on my Mustang at any time and see whats going on around it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thinkware users:

Do you view the cam footage (live and stored) via your mobile device since there is no integrated monitor on the actual unit?
Sponsored