Dang CEL

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
Today on my way home from work the inevitable happened. First went to auto start the car and it took a sec to light off. When it did the plume of smoke came out the back. No biggy it didnt continue. So hit the road driving and i notice out the rear view mirror when i accelerated i saw smoke. Hmmm #1. While in traffic as i let off the throttle im getting the decel popping, but sounds more like backfire pops. Hmmm #2. So im watching more smoke on acceleration, and popping when i let off, then BAM! CEL comes on. I have the lund tuner gauge so i look at the codes while im at a red light. I got P0300, and P0304 . Random multiple misfire, and misfire in #4 cylinder. Called my dealer and they cant get me in till the 4th of January. Anybody got any advice other than the obvious dont drive it. Im very mechanically inclined.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Pull #4 coil off and make sure it’s not melted… Pull #4 spark plug, what does it look like? If #4 coil was not melted, then swap it with #3…. Clear stored codes, go drive. Same issue? Does it now show a P0303 instead of the previous P0304? If so, it’s a faulty coil.

OP
OP
19gtMD

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
If the issue follow the plug do you mean the plug is bad?

OP
OP
19gtMD

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
And after swapping the plugs if it remains at four you mean it's the coil or am I looking at it backwards

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
And after swapping the plugs if it remains at four you mean it's the coil or am I looking at it backwards
If it remains at 4, then it isn't the coil. If you swap coils 4 and 3 and it is a bad coil, then you would get a code for 3.

OP
OP
19gtMD

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
I think you mistyped here...
No i didnt mis type. I am very mechanically inclined. Meaning i can pull plugs swap them and use the appropriate tools to do so. Now understanding function of things it may take a second but i will get the understanding if explained right, or i see it done.

OP
OP
19gtMD

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
If it remains at 4, then it isn't the coil. If you swap coils 4 and 3 and it is a bad coil, then you would get a code for 3.
You pretty much said what i did... If i have an issue at #4 and i swap the coils from #4 to #3 and now my issue is at #3. Its the coil. Instead i said that about the plugs. Taking the plug from #4 swapping it with the #3 plug and leaving the coils, because the #3 coil isnt the same as the rest of them. If my issue is still #4 then its the coil, but if it goes to #3 then it followed the plug...

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You pretty much said what i did... If i have an issue at #4 and i swap the coils from #4 to #3 and now my issue is at #3. Its the coil. Instead i said that about the plugs. Taking the plug from #4 swapping it with the #3 plug and leaving the coils, because the #3 coil isnt the same as the rest of them. If my issue is still #4 then its the coil, but if it goes to #3 then it followed the plug...
No, that would show the plug is not at fault. You have to swap coils to eliminate it as a possibility.
I believe he suggested pulling the plugs so you can "read" them.

OP
OP
19gtMD

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
No, that would show the plug is not at fault. You have to swap coils to eliminate it as a possibility.
I believe he suggested pulling the plugs so you can "read" them.
Got it... Thank you for the clarification. See took me a minute but i think im comprehending now.. LOL thanks for the reply without insult..

Just messing but thanks to all that responded.

OP
OP
19gtMD

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
How many miles? If under warranty, don’t mess with it.
Im at 27k But i didnt buy the car from ford so i aint sure the ford warranty is intact. I do have a warranty package from the dealer i bought it from, they just dont have time to see me until after new years and this is my daily so im just trying to see if its a simple fix, that wont cost me the price of the diagnostic without a fix.

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
Im at 27k But i didnt buy the car from ford so i aint sure the ford warranty is intact. I do have a warranty package from the dealer i bought it from, they just dont have time to see me until after new years and this is my daily so im just trying to see if its a simple fix, that wont cost me the price of the diagnostic without a fix.
I'd check to see if you have any of the factory 3/36 left. Factory warranty transfers even if you did not buy it from Ford. If internal to the engine, most likely you will be covered by the 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Easiest thing to do is swap coils. If you have a misfire on #4 (P304) and swap the coil to #2 and the code follows to #2 (P302), then you know you have a bad coil. But, it could be a slew of other things that are almost impossible to diag properly over the internet and without a scanner. You could have a fuel delivery problem, injector issue, coil, spark plug, compression, problem with the wiring harness, bad fuel, and so on. There is an entire diagnostic tree that a Ford tech will follow to troubleshoot.

That's why I asked about the warranty. If you have any factory warranty left, let Ford sort it out. You can drive it, but I would not drive it far and I'd take it super easy on it. If you have a misfire, unburnt fuel is getting dumped into the cats. Extended running with a misfire is very unhealthy to the cats. I don't think a couple of days of driving it on short trips under very light load is going to cook your cats. Call your Ford dealer's service dept, give them the VIN, ask about warranty, then tell service advisor you have P300 and P304 and ask is it ok to drive until your appointment so you don't damage anything else.