Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
He is Lund tuned, no engine warranty.
Totally missed that. Yeah, Ford is going to tell him to pound sand. As I've gotten older, don't know if any wiser, but made a decision not to "tune/mod" a daily driver. I get it, modding/tuning makes the car more fun, but introduces things into a pretty tightly engineered system that can cause problems that can be tough to diag.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You can drive it, but I would not drive it far and I'd take it super easy on it. If you have a misfire, unburnt fuel is getting dumped into the cats. Extended running with a misfire is very unhealthy to the cats. I don't think a couple of days of driving it on short trips under very light load is going to cook your cats.
Do NOT discount this advice!

I'm currently dealing with a CAT issue because I was unaware of just how sensitive the cats are to misfire/fuel/coolant. If I had known then I'd have driven something else while I waited for my service appointment.
Too late for me but maybe not for you.

OP
OP
19gtMD

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
Soooo its been a minute. I'll give you my most recent update. The misfire codes were still there and the dealer was trying to explain to me that they would have to dig into the motor to find out the true issue. We fought over warranty coverage because, i had both the factory still plus i purchased one when i bought the car. Now just to state, i bought the car in its current condition. It was already built, but the dealer didnt know to what extent really. I found out alot about the car on my own. Back to the story, anyway consensus is my buddy who is the general manager short and sweet offered to buy me a new small block and cover half the maintenance cost since the warranties were useless for me. They will reinstall all the supercharger bolt ons and all that stuff. I then have to get my car re-tuned. My plan for that is my local tuner and i made a deal of me giving him my old motor components in exchange for a re-tune. Im now waiting on the call to tell me the work is done so i can get it over to the tuner and ultimately get my car back. Hopefully friday is the day.
My take away from my experience is that the previous owner must have had a hell of alot of fun with the car before giving it up. I cant really blame the dealer because they dont dissect motors to inspect before selling. And nobody would expect the previous owner to be forth coming with the condition of the motor when selling. I honestly should have known better than to buy a car with extensive mods like that, but it was my first time in a mustang and not knowing what was and wasnt stock evaded me initially. My test drive i was more enamored with the sheer sound and sight of it than anything else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
19gtMD

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
UPDATE to the update. Got my car back today. Well lets say i went and got the car today. They replaced the short block and put all my stuff back together. They call me and say the car is running but its still not running well. So i ask whats the issue now. They tell me the scan tool they are using now cant read the codes from the car but they can say that its still misfiring. At this point im just at wits end with this dealer. I called a tow truck and came got my car and the old block. My buddy who is extensively a ford guy, who builds and tunes coyote motors is now on the job. (should've went with him in the first place), but gave the dealer the opportunity to make it right. Few hours with the car and he says they timed the car wrong when they put it back together. The left banks all were in the 200's and the right banks were around 50. So he said give him a week and he will have me square and tuned. Absolutely have my fingers crossed.
Sponsored