Daily Driving e85

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Care to list the cons for those of us who don't watch gay YouTube videos? Lol I ran e85 for two years consistently so I know the pros. Only cons I know of are mpgs and availability.
The major ones are obvious like you said. You lose easy access to all gas stations at the same time you have to visit the pump more often. Then there is the inconsistency risk with E85 which leads to people testing the fuel often. E85 also degrades faster than regular pump gas. If you are someone who drives there car once in a while maybe E85 isn't for them. Lets also not forget there are still sizeable gains to had with a gas pump tune. People like act bolt ons + pump gas tune also doesn't "wake up" the car.

Sure if you really need/want wanna max out the power and ok with inconveniences. By all means run the E85. But we cannot pretend there are ZERO drawbacks. Isn`t it fair we give people interested in running E85 the full picture? But I guess no one wants to talk negative about there cars.
Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Long-term e85 does wear down your internal timing parts that are plastic (chain tensioners and chain tensioner guides).

Don't know how fast it happens or when it will become an issue. Just know that MMR has metal replacements, but they are not recommended for street use.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. If anything just decide a date to do oil pump gears, crank sprocket, timing chains, and replace the guides/tensioners.
Don`t say anything negative about E85 or you will be made a villain on here. just a heads up

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Don`t say anything negative about E85 or you will be made a villain on here. just a heads up
I know lmao. I personally run e85 and I like its benefits, but there are some negatives.

I just get a warranty on my o2 sensors and keep getting new ones for free haha.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I know lmao. I personally run e85 and I like its benefits, but there are some negatives.

I just get a warranty on my o2 sensors and keep getting new ones for free haha.
and its important as a car community/forum to help people understand the full benefits and drawbacks.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
and its important as a car community/forum to help people understand the full benefits and drawbacks.
One huge draw back is when having to run the occasional tank of 91 on the flex tune. The drop in performance is significant and of course that tank lasts sooo much longer lol.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
One huge draw back is when having to run the occasional tank of 91 on the flex tune. The drop in performance is significant and of course that tank lasts sooo much longer lol.
Right and its annoying right? knowing you car is down on power.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Right and its annoying right? knowing you car is down on power.
Yup. But luckily it's far and few between. But knowing you have the option to fill up on it if you absolutely have to is nice. Piece of mind and convenience. But also knowing the performance drop is temporary helps get through it.

demon67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang Coupe / 21 GT Premium 6MT
You guys running E85 on NA cars is really helping owners like me. Are you NA too? If so what supporting mids did you go with. Did you go with a Flex Tune? If NA, which route did you go with regard to your fuel system? Do you fill car with 93 prior to winter?
Thanks for your help
Completely NA and very limited mods: K&N filter, rear suspension upgrades, oil catch can, and of course an e85 tune. Fuel system is untouched stock.

I have the flex and 91 tune (Wengerd). I rarely use the flex tune. Was running e85 all summer until recently. I'm in AZ so winters are prime conditions for driving. Will probably get back on the e85 shortly.

demon67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang Coupe / 21 GT Premium 6MT
Make sure you're testing as well. The stations I use run pure e85 but others can vary all the way down to e54. That is one advantage of the Flex tune is being able to flash it on the fly if you run into a lower batch a E.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Make sure you're testing as well. The stations I use run pure e85 but others can vary all the way down to e54. That is one advantage of the Flex tune is being able to flash it on the fly if you run into a lower batch a E.
Thank you for your help.

Sponsored

DMELO2247

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 2015 50th Anniversary 2016 3.7
I was thinking about doing that with my 19GT PP1. If you wouldn't mind, did you mod your car like, LTH, CAI, TB, BAP etc? How do you feel the performance and drivability is compared to stock. Thanks
I had a pmas cold air intake and ARH catted long tubes. Definitely made a good difference in performance

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
20k miles daily driven/drag racing/spirited driving on E85.
Worst 11mpg, best 21mpg.

No issues with O2 sensors, no issues at all other than it has stalled 2-3 times when coming up to a light and downshifting (auto), it gets a little blip happy and stalls. Not a big issue, 3 times in 20k miles I can't complain.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I love e 85. We offer a flex fuel tune so you do not have to worry about testing every time you fill up. I ran it on my car and only used e 85 for a year of owning it, only reason I stopped was because I put a blower on the car and do not have a fuel system yet.

E 85 is great because it burns cooler, has WAY better knock resistance, and it will make more power vs pump gas. We tune alot of cars on e 85, it is cheaper than race gas and the coyote loves it especially when you boost the car it does some awesome stuff! you do loose a little big in the mileage but, It's cheaper and honestly way worth it from an smiles per gallon perspective

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I love e 85. We offer a flex fuel tune so you do not have to worry about testing every time you fill up. I ran it on my car and only used e 85 for a year of owning it, only reason I stopped was because I put a blower on the car and do not have a fuel system yet.

E 85 is great because it burns cooler, has WAY better knock resistance, and it will make more power vs pump gas. We tune alot of cars on e 85, it is cheaper than race gas and the coyote loves it especially when you boost the car it does some awesome stuff! you do loose a little big in the mileage but, It's cheaper and honestly way worth it from an smiles per gallon perspective
The whole testing of fuel thing is a crazy concept to me and cannot believe people are so willing to do it. Just run the flex fuel tune and call it a day.

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The whole testing of fuel thing is a crazy concept to me and cannot believe people are so willing to do it. Just run the flex fuel tune and call it a day.
Been running the E85R tune and never once tested, pretty much always run from the same gas station though.
Sponsored