Sponsored

Roush Axlebacks + H-Pipe, too loud for daily driving?

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
On that note, has anyone welded the roush axle backs? One of mine is a little rattly.
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I have an update for you guys.

I mentioned before I had Roush AB's with stock reso. Changed it to FRPP xpipe. Thought it was too loud/raspy. Changed to Magnaflow tru-x (11-486). Then it was too quiet. Wife (!) asked me to reinstall x-pipe. So I did.

But there's just one difference. This time, I asked the shop to weld the x-pipe in. The clamps were too stretched out. I didn't expect this, but it sounds much meatier/less raspy now than it did before. I suspect the clamps weren't airtight and were letting sound out before it passed the AB's.
Could it be that mufflers are just broken in more now? How long had it been since you had the X pipe on?

DennisP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
My recommendation is this:
-clamp and tighten to manufacturer spec.
-run car for about one month
-check and re-tighten all clamps

You may find that some or none of the clamps have loosened up slightly, but it's always worth checking after about a month. I've never had to re-tighten a second time on any of my previous vehicles with clamp-on exhaust modifications.

On that note, has anyone welded the roush axle backs? One of mine is a little rattly.

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Could it be that mufflers are just broken in more now? How long had it been since you had the X pipe on?
Mufflers had 10k miles before making any changes. Not the mufflers.

X pipe was removed a month ago, more or less i think

Sponsored

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Personally, that setup sounds too much like a Harley.
Man I don't want to call anyone out, but it seems like 99% of mustang owners who have changed their exhaust thinks THEIRS are the best combo. Gets a bit tiring..

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
Yes, I did.

I found the fact that the headers connect to the H-pipe and then to stock pipes after the resonator and then to the axlebacks caused the exhaust (in general) to shift around more than I wanted to.

I took them to an exhaust shop and paid them $50 to weld everything together to essentially make it a one-piece catback.

I haven't had issues since. Actually, I totally forgot I did that until I read your post lol.

OP
OP

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
Mine are spot welded. The shop recommended it for the exact reason you mentioned.

Zero rattles at all, and they didn't charge extra.

Jkral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have the Roush AB's with a lethal H pipe and do not have the raspy sound. Maybe a clamp is loose? That being said, when you stomp on it, it wakes the dead! LOVE IT! I mean, that's the idea of putting it on, right?!?

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
Currently have a 3" Gibson catback. How hard would it be to modify the roush axle backs to fit the Gibson? I believe the roush connection pipes are 2.5"

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Glad you made this thread, makes me more content with the exhaust choices I've made vs the ones that I wanted to make.
Sponsored