Daily Driving e85

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
If you have good E85 near you from the pump it's a no brainer. It's superior in every way from 93.

Burns cooler, cheaper (offset by worse MPG), free power, INSANLY better knock protection. No reason not to run it honestly.
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
18+ up cars need no fuel system modifications to run E85 naturally aspirated. There are lots of threads on the form about flex vs dedicated E85 tunes. In the end the performance difference isn’t drastic and it all comes down to how consistent your E85 quality is. Those with consistently high quality E usually run the dedicated E tune. Those with lower consistency E or those who drive longer distances like the ease of running the flex tune.

I personally run a dedicated E85 tune from April through October. In early November I switch to my flex tune, run out the E85, fill with 93, add stabilizer, and tuck it away for winter.
That's what I want to do, I am amazed the stock fuel system can handle the increased fuel demand without issues or adding BAPs. Did you install any other mods besides switching to E85? thanks

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
That's what I want to do, I am amazed the stock fuel system can handle the increased fuel demand without issues or adding BAPs. Did you install any other mods besides switching to E85? thanks
Stock fuel system handles it with no issues at all. I am also running LTH and an H pipe.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
LTH no fuel mods, running flex tune year round due to e54-e90 depending on which station and limited availability in AZ. Occasional tank of 91. Winters are beautiful here so gets driven even harder then. The drastic cooling effects are obvious with the CHTs here during the brutal summer temps. Peak power same as dedicated e85 just not as much immediate timing.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
A lot of info out there about probs and cons. Anyone who sits here and acts like there are no cons is being bias.

Last edited:

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
3 sensor failures in 1 year, angled or not, is not the fuel. Trust me.
@shadowx

It is most definitely the fuel. As soon as I did headers and started running e85 my o2 sensors started going out. Had 2 go out in about 2 months. E85 will sit on your o2 sensors and pull moisture out of the air and it will kill your o2 sensors. The angled o2 sensor headers are supposed to help the moisture not build up and sit on your o2.

OP, I wouldn't worry about your o2 sensors unless you do headers. If you do headers and have the money, buy the ones that have the o2 sensors angled (don't remember the brand).

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
PROS AND CONS

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
@shadowx

It is most definitely the fuel. As soon as I did headers and started running e85 my o2 sensors started going out. Had 2 go out in about 2 months. E85 will sit on your o2 sensors and pull moisture out of the air and it will kill your o2 sensors. The angled o2 sensor headers are supposed to help the moisture not build up and sit on your o2.

OP, I wouldn't worry about your o2 sensors unless you do headers. If you do headers and have the money, buy the ones that have the o2 sensors angled (don't remember the brand).
If you have enough E85 “sitting” on your O2 sensors, you should fix that….

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
If you have enough E85 “sitting” on your O2 sensors, you should fix that….
I'm just stating what many others have said and my personal experience.

Stock 91 - no o2 failure
Tune e85 - no o2 failure
FBO Headers 91 -no o2 failure
FBO Headers e85 - 2 o2 failures in like 2 months

Many people have reported the same and have talked about it on other forum posts.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Long-term e85 does wear down your internal timing parts that are plastic (chain tensioners and chain tensioner guides).

Don't know how fast it happens or when it will become an issue. Just know that MMR has metal replacements, but they are not recommended for street use.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. If anything just decide a date to do oil pump gears, crank sprocket, timing chains, and replace the guides/tensioners.

OP
OP
smolpp1

smolpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT pp1
Expect 15 to 18 mpg. Not sure what the delta is between 91/93 and E85 in terms of price, but recently I've found I'm spending about the same on E85 although I might be visiting the pump more often. E85 is a hell of a lot of fun though.
e85 is about .60 cents cheaper per gallon vs 93 for me
Sponsored