Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
Hey yall

I have a 2016 GT PP

I'm having a dilemma with my next tire choice. I currently have summer on all 4 corners, but my fronts are basically brand new at around 8/32. My rears are due for replacement sitting at 3/32

I daily drive this car roughly estimated 12k a year and it's completely stock aside from an exhaust. I don't track the car at all, and the craziest things I do are some 1st - 2nd pulls or a rolling 3rd gear pull whenever i feel like having fun. I don't do it that often though because I don't really get an opportunity to with all the congested traffic in my area

I'm looking into Pilot Sport A/S 3s right now to replace my rear tires Would there be any issues with summer tires up front and all seasons in the rear? Would A/S be too much of a sacrifice for a stock GT for what I do? While I would like optimal performance, I also don't want to by buying tires every year (assuming most summer tires last around 12-16k).

Would the A/S3s be a good choice? or perhaps Continental DWS06 or should I stick with summer tires (Prob PS4S)
Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
A/S3s are great. Turn in is numb compared to summers but overall they compare well.

I think acceleration traction is the same between the two.

I switch between winter A/S and PS4s twice year. A/S don’t have to be warmed up to not slide around in temps under 50.

If I have to pick one for year round it would be the A/S3s.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Do not mix summers with all seasons. Don't mix different brand/model tires on your car. They have different levels of grip and this matters more in changing weather conditions. Stick with the same tires on all 4 corners IMO.

Summer tires will definitely be better for what you do, but something like the Michelin PS A/S3+ are good. Probably not quite summer tire grip level but close. They're good tires.
Also for a cheaper alternative for summer tires, check out the Indy 500s or the Sunitomo HTR Z 3. Supposedly the Sunitomos are just a tad grippier from my buddy that used them both.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't mix different brand/model tires on your car.
Yeah Tirerack really hates when you do that. But I deliberately mix/match so I can evaluate 2x as many brands as I would otherwise. For non-snow or track conditions, nor driving like an ass the top10 tires are all similar enough to mix, IMO. If a clear preference is revealed then I'll just sell the discarded pair to somebody else.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with not mixing all seasons with summer, especially leaving the summers up front. The reason tire shops always put a new pair on the rear (even if it's the exact same tire) is you don't want more grip in front.

I would expect the potential for more wheelspin under hard acceleration with A/S, even the Michelins. The A/S will obviously be better in the rain. I use A/S year round but my V6 doesn't have enough power to be too concerned about acceleration traction, lol.

Sponsored

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I just swapped summer tires to AS3+. You can find my comments in the AS3+ review thread.
I don’t drive hard on the streets. But, have noticed the AS3+ will chirp on upshifts. The PSS tires just spun. I’m going to the drag strip Wednesday night. So far, I’m not expecting much difference in traction. But, the heavy PP wheels are gonna hurt.

Edit 11/7/2019. Went to Sonoma Raceway last night. Unfortunately the fresh AS3+ have much less grip than PS4S. I had to slowly roll on throttle just off idle to launch. In drag mode w/Advancetrac off second gear broke the tires loose and spun them to an early redline shift into third gear. The early third gear shift pulled the engine out of the power band and the tires stuck for the rest of the pass.

Cheers

Last edited:

Deleted member 35786

Running Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's here all year around on the Gulf Coast. Great all around tire, especially for the heavy rain here. Super smooth and grip is excellent in the dry. Great prices too.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Running Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's here all year around on the Gulf Coast.
agree they work well enough when WARM. At freezing and below they were definitely sketchy (some slide, chirping, vague). The PS4S did better IMO once they were rolling for a few minutes.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Would the A/S3s be a good choice? or perhaps Continental DWS06 or should I stick with summer tires (Prob PS4S)
Not a Mustang, but I have driven these two tires back to back on the same car in the same size, thus an apples to apples comparison. The Michelin is the superior tire.

...I came back to expand on my answer. That's not to say the Conti is a slouch by any means. For example, if price is a factor, I'd never avoid the Conti. Quite the contrary. Just because you can feel a difference does not make the Conti bad. They make a great product. Heck, I'd even go as far to say buy the one you like the look of better. I've absolutely bought tires based on looks (when trying to choose between two named brand tires in the same category? Absolutely looks wins).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Conti is less 'crisp' in it's handling vs the Michelin. But both are lovely.

Sponsored
OP
OP
boos550t

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Haha funny story, my old car (2015 eco) came from the ford dealer with pirelli all season up front and pirelli summers in the rear. Yikes.

My GT came with brand new Sumitomo HTR ZIII up front and Half life Nitto 555s in the rear.

I mean I guess that comes with the territory with buying used cars but it is what it is.

I currently have the PP wheels in a square setup (I found this out just recently...) 19x9.5 all around.
I thought they were the staggered 19x9 and 19x9.5 but after further inspection, they are all indeed 19x9.5. I found out after seeing a thread on here about the valve stem location being different on the 19x9 and 19x9.5

So I have a healthy 8/32 Sumitomo HTR Ziii 255/40/19 up front on a 19x9.5 and a pretty much close to dead Nitto 555 g2 275/40/19 in the rear.

I can either just buy 4 new tires (summer or a/s) or buy a set of sumitomo htr z iiis for the rear in 275/40/19 just to match the front and just deal with the skinnier tire up front that I can't rotate

I just feel like throwing the front 255 would be a waste, even if they're a skinnier tire than i prefer.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought they were the staggered 19x9 and 19x9.5 but after further inspection, they are all indeed 19x9.5.
Unless you measured across the flats (and offset while you're at it) I would be very skeptical about the front being a 9.5ET52.5. Now you may well have an aftermarket lookalike that has a more reasonable offset figure.

OP
OP
boos550t

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Unless you measured across the flats (and offset while you're at it) I would be very skeptical about the front being a 9.5ET52.5. Now you may well have an aftermarket lookalike that has a more reasonable offset figure.
I took off both wheels and looked behind the spokes. Shows the ford part # and 19x9.5J +52.5mm

There are 25mm spacers on all 4 corners.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are 25mm spacers on all 4 corners.
ahhh, rather important detail that...
I'm not sure why you'd run the spacers on the rear though... "flush" look?

OP
OP
boos550t

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Heh, I ran spacers on my old car. I really like the flush look.

This car surprisingly had spacers on them already when I went to look at it at the dealer (amongst other extras, CF Wing/Opt7 sequential turn signals/Grille Delete/Wrapped roof...)
Sponsored