Sponsored

Summer tires for daily driver?

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Looking for some suggestions for summer tires to wrap around my 20x10 and 20x11 setup. Will be doing something like 275/35/20 front and 305/35/20 rear.

Car is driven daily. Don't need the stickiest tires (around 405rwhp) but also not super worried about wear, id love to have traction in 1st and 2nd gear. Haven't had many different brands so looking for personal experiences. Was thinking about Nitto nt555 for the front and Nitto nt555r for the rear, they are priced pretty well.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for some suggestions for summer tires to wrap around my 20x10 and 20x11 setup. Will be doing something like 275/35/20 front and 305/35/20 rear.

Car is driven daily. Don't need the stickiest tires (around 405rwhp) but also not super worried about wear, id love to have traction in 1st and 2nd gear. Haven't had many different brands so looking for personal experiences. Was thinking about Nitto nt555 for the front and Nitto nt555r for the rear, they are priced pretty well.
Any reason you want a drag radial for a daily tire? Why not just go NT555 G2 all around? Drag radials tend to have much poorer cornering stiffness than performance summer tires.

305/35R20 are very large diameter, 0.7" larger than the GT PP rears, and 1.1" larger than the non-PP cars. 305/30R20 would be a better fit, IMO, but if you want to stuff them in there, try and see! The 35 aspect may rub some, especially if you're at all lowered.

This would be a great option. You'd have no traction issues:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...YR0ECSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

OP
OP
LG23

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Any reason you want a drag radial for a daily tire? Why not just go NT555 G2 all around? Drag radials tend to have much poorer cornering stiffness than performance summer tires.

305/35R20 are very large diameter, 0.7" larger than the GT PP rears, and 1.1" larger than the non-PP cars. 305/30R20 would be a better fit, IMO, but if you want to stuff them in there, try and see! The 35 aspect may rub some, especially if you're at all lowered.

This would be a great option. You'd have no traction issues:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...YR0ECSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Gotcha. No real reason, I've just seen people run them and figured more traction but if the non radials have good enough traction then I could do G2 all around.

For the 305/35/20 I'm just going off of what project6gr told me. I have a 1 inch drop and they said with their 11inch rear and offset a 305/35 tire is guaranteed to not rub no matter what. Just trying to figure out the best/most affordable tires to pick up.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha. No real reason, I've just seen people run them and figured more traction but if the non radials have good enough traction then I could do G2 all around.

For the 305/35/20 I'm just going off of what project6gr told me. I have a 1 inch drop and they said with their 11inch rear and offset a 305/35 tire is guaranteed to not rub no matter what. Just trying to figure out the best/most affordable tires to pick up.
Yeah that really depends on the offset. 28.4" is a big tire and would need to be significantly less than flush not to rub, especially with a 1" drop. You do not want to have to add a ton of camber (really any more than -1.5, with -1 to -1.25 being ideal) to get it to clear, as you'll kill your straight line grip.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
AFter having the new Michelin PS4's on for a few days I can tell you they grip waay better in the cooler (40F +) weather than the P Zero's ... like them so far.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Any reason you want a drag radial for a daily tire? Why not just go NT555 G2 all around?
The 555Rs are barely considered a drag radial, even though Nitto classifies them as such. They are no way near the NT05R or other true drag radial tires like Mickey Thompsons.

I've daily'd those exact ones and got something like 20k miles out of them and they did just fine on wet roads as long as I was careful. If one cares more about straight line traction than cornering ability on their daily driver then those are a good tire.

OP
OP
LG23

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Yeah that really depends on the offset. 28.4" is a big tire and would need to be significantly less than flush not to rub, especially with a 1" drop. You do not want to have to add a ton of camber (really any more than -1.5, with -1 to -1.25 being ideal) to get it to clear, as you'll kill your straight line grip.
I think people running 315 had to do about -2 rear camber but I'm pretty sure they said factory alignment (-1.5??) works fine with 305s on the wheels. I'll def call them and make sure but 99% sure. Mostly trying to get info on good summer tires, don't have to be too sticky (Im only tuned with some boltons) but also don't need them to last 20k miles.

The 555Rs are barely considered a drag radial, even though Nitto classifies them as such. They are no way near the NT05R or other true drag radial tires like Mickey Thompsons.

I've daily'd those exact ones and got something like 20k miles out of them and they did just fine on wet roads as long as I was careful. If one cares more about straight line traction than cornering ability on their daily driver then those are a good tire.
No bad scares during rain or anything?? Yea I figured they don't look like true drag radials and weren't that extreme.

How was the grip in lower gears and what power were you pushing? You ran the exact same sizes I listed above?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
No bad scares during rain or anything?? Yea I figured they don't look like true drag radials and weren't that extreme.
Not at all, just cruising in some light rain is fine. Now I wouldn't exactly go out there in a torrential downpour with standing water on the ground. And they are not extreme at all, in fact they kinda suck at the dragstrip and I highly doubt their 100UTQG rating.

How was the grip in lower gears and what power were you pushing? You ran the exact same sizes I listed above?
Grip on the street was good, even with some 370rwhp (a different car but similar power to a stock GT). When they get hot they get greasy, which again is odd because they are technically a drag radial meant to be heated up...but they don't do well at a dragstrip. Those were 275/40/17 but they tend to run quite a bit narrower than most other tires. In fact they were the same size as the 255 wide NT555s I was running up front. So a 315 wide will fit like a 285-295 normal tire.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think people running 315 had to do about -2 rear camber but I'm pretty sure they said factory alignment (-1.5??) works fine with 305s on the wheels. I'll def call them and make sure but 99% sure. Mostly trying to get info on good summer tires, don't have to be too sticky (Im only tuned with some boltons) but also don't need them to last 20k miles.

-2 rear is a lot of camber for how wide that tire is. You'd be seriously reducing your straight line grip going more negative than about -1.5. Shoot for -1 for daily driving with a focus on straight line -1.25 to -1.5 for daily and focus on handling.

If you can't achieve those types of alignment settings your tire size and offset isn't a good choice and you'd be wasting the extra width you're buying.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
If it's your DD id be more concerned about what you're fall/winter driving options are going to be, I think that'd drive (pun intended) what your tire choices are, your listed location is Chicagoland and I was presume, rough winters.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
when i had my NA 2013 made 390whp and i ran a 305/35r19 continental dw. it provided really nice traction and the new contact sport is supposed to be better. I too am considering DR nt05R as a daily tire. im hoping to get use of 2nd gear.. currently running nt05(non R)

OP
OP
LG23

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
If it's your DD id be more concerned about what you're fall/winter driving options are going to be, I think that'd drive (pun intended) what your tire choices are, your listed location is Chicagoland and I was presume, rough winters.
Im going to have these summer tires on new wheels and using my PP wheels for winter tires. The summer tires will not see snow or cold weather.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
depends where you live. I drove stock summer P zero for 2 years (2 winters as well) rears latest 19k. Just got MPSS so much better, plan on doing the same.

OP
OP
LG23

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Nitto NT555G2
Conti Extreme Contact Sport
Thinking the NT555/NT555r setup. Just read about 40 reviews and 39/40 were good, most mentioned good things about handling vs other tires and wet roads. Only complaint was some guy who said they wear too fast lol.
Sponsored