CVF Street Intercooler Driving Impressions

Discussion in 'I4 2.3L EcoBoost Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust,' started by BlackEB2019, Aug 24, 2019.

1. BlackEB2019

BlackEB2019 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I've had the CVF Street Intercooler and drivers side charge pipe installed for a couple of weeks now. Here are my impressions so far.

What I Expected:

1. IAT temps are much lower with this intercooler upgrade. I've seen drops of as much as 40 degrees compared to the stock intercooler under similar conditions.
    2. Driving at any speed over 30 MPH, the IAT temp is usually only a few degrees above the ambient outside air temp.
    3. I drive 50 miles round trip to work in very heavy traffic. It's rare to get the car above 30 MPH and I'm often sitting or barley moving for 5 - 10 minutes at a time. The IAT temps will rise, but much slower than with the OEM intercooler. But, with the OEM Intercooler, once I started to pick up speed, it was extremely slow to recover and lower the IAT temp. With the CVF intercooler, once I start to move, the IAT temps lower at a really fast rate.
    4. Even though I am now driving my car more aggressively, more often, I haven't seen any change in my fuel economy.

What I Didn't Expect:

1. The engine now revs much better. It feels much more responsive and revs faster. I can only assume the OEM Intercooler was a choke point.
    2. With the OEM intercooler I would often get a sudden hesitation or engine hang when I punched it. It was like the car was struggling to accelerate. I haven't had this since installing the CVF intercooler. Now when I punch it I get instant response and no hesitation.

Conclusions:

As has been stated on this forum many times, I now also believe that the single best upgrade for these EB Mustangs is an intercooler. Combine that with the FPP tune and you've got a really nice package that just blows the stock configuration away in terms of performance and fun factor.

2. 16Fastback

16Fastback RMR 8985

First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I want to do this hopefully this winter.has anyone install without changing the charge pipes? does it make a big difference?

3. cvf-jason

cvf-jason Well-Known Member
    Gold Sponsor

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost Mustang
    0   0   0
    The critical part of the upgrade is the intercooler - that's where the performance difference comes from. The charge pipes are a nice to have (and look badass in the bay), but you won't see significant performance gains from them until/unless you upgrade your turbo. :rockon:

4. cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost Mustang
    0   0   0
    Silver-colored "scratch and dent" units are available at a discount! Details available via PM. :)

StealthStang likes this.
  5. law242

law242 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
    0   0   0
    Scratch and dent intercoolers? or piping?

6. cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost Mustang
    0   0   0
    Intercoolers - sorry for the confusion.

7. law242

law242 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    can you pm me a price on one of those?

cvf-jason likes this.
  8. law242

law242 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    My car is still learning the new setup but it feels smooth so far. Still have too much traffic to really try it out but it definitely feels like it has more torque. Not disappointed so far