Sponsored

CVF Street Intercooler Driving Impressions

BlackEB2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the CVF Street Intercooler and drivers side charge pipe installed for a couple of weeks now. Here are my impressions so far.

What I Expected:

1. IAT temps are much lower with this intercooler upgrade. I've seen drops of as much as 40 degrees compared to the stock intercooler under similar conditions.
2. Driving at any speed over 30 MPH, the IAT temp is usually only a few degrees above the ambient outside air temp.
3. I drive 50 miles round trip to work in very heavy traffic. It's rare to get the car above 30 MPH and I'm often sitting or barley moving for 5 - 10 minutes at a time. The IAT temps will rise, but much slower than with the OEM intercooler. But, with the OEM Intercooler, once I started to pick up speed, it was extremely slow to recover and lower the IAT temp. With the CVF intercooler, once I start to move, the IAT temps lower at a really fast rate.
4. Even though I am now driving my car more aggressively, more often, I haven't seen any change in my fuel economy.

What I Didn't Expect:

1. The engine now revs much better. It feels much more responsive and revs faster. I can only assume the OEM Intercooler was a choke point.
2. With the OEM intercooler I would often get a sudden hesitation or engine hang when I punched it. It was like the car was struggling to accelerate. I haven't had this since installing the CVF intercooler. Now when I punch it I get instant response and no hesitation.

Conclusions:

As has been stated on this forum many times, I now also believe that the single best upgrade for these EB Mustangs is an intercooler. Combine that with the FPP tune and you've got a really nice package that just blows the stock configuration away in terms of performance and fun factor.
Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
I want to do this hopefully this winter.has anyone install without changing the charge pipes? does it make a big difference?

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
I want to do this hopefully this winter.has anyone install without changing the charge pipes? does it make a big difference?
The critical part of the upgrade is the intercooler - that's where the performance difference comes from. The charge pipes are a nice to have (and look badass in the bay), but you won't see significant performance gains from them until/unless you upgrade your turbo. :rockon:

Sponsored

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
My car is still learning the new setup but it feels smooth so far. Still have too much traffic to really try it out but it definitely feels like it has more torque. Not disappointed so far

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
I just ordered the CVF street intercooler for my 17, based on OP's review above and lots of other research. I have the CPO warranty, so at this point I am just doing mild mods to optimize performance in a stock state of tune. I am hoping that this intercooler will work well with my Airaid intake tube and high flow drop-in filter to give me a freer revving, more responsive engine and not have power drop off as quickly in the higher rev range. I use 93 octane exclusively. I'm not ruling out a mild tune in the future but the car only had 1300 miles on it when I got it and just over 3.5k now, so I want to try this setup for awhile. Hopefully I will see an improvement.....

Unfortunately, my car is hibernating under a cover in my nice warm garage until spring arrives around here, so I won't know how it works for another 3 months.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
I just ordered the CVF street intercooler for my 17, based on OP's review above and lots of other research. I have the CPO warranty, so at this point I am just doing mild mods to optimize performance in a stock state of tune. I am hoping that this intercooler will work well with my Airaid intake tube and high flow drop-in filter to give me a freer revving, more responsive engine and not have power drop off as quickly in the higher rev range. I use 93 octane exclusively. I'm not ruling out a mild tune in the future but the car only had 1300 miles on it when I got it and just over 3.5k now, so I want to try this setup for awhile. Hopefully I will see an improvement.....

Unfortunately, my car is hibernating under a cover in my nice warm garage until spring arrives around here, so I won't know how it works for another 3 months.
Thank you for the confidence. Make sure you hit me up via PM if we can do anything for you while you wait to install!

Sponsored

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
Finally got my CVF street intercooler installed today......

It was relatively cool today but my car now feels smoother, stronger, and definitely more responsive as the OP said. Power does not drop off after 5200 like stock. Feels like the peak is maybe 300 to 500 rpm higher and holds pretty well for about another 1000 rpm. Simply put, the engine just feels a lot "happier".

Very pleased with this product! Installed CVF resonator delete y-pipe last week and very satisfied with that as well! My experience with CVF (no affiliation) is that they offer excellent quality products with great customer service at very fair pricing.

TrinityFL_Eco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Have a 2015 with Performance Package 6 spd manual.
Just got my black CV Fabrication intercooler installed a couple weeks ago. Apparently there is a discount code of 10% that read about after I ordered it.
Currently running Roush CAI, Cobb Stage 2 93 octane accessport tune and now the CVF intercooler. Night and day. Runs so much better.
Probably going to pick up the CVF catted DP this summer.
Screenshot_20200419-084526_Gallery.jpg

MTG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang
Hi Nate,
I am about to upgrade to the same Cobb Stage 2 and are looking at a stock replacement intercooler. As part of your research did you compare the CPE vs the CVF Street that you are currently running?

TrinityFL_Eco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
MTG
I spent a while looking! I was interested in the CPE because it was priced better than Mishimoto and some others. Then thought about the ebay or DEV from even Walmart.
Ended up with exactly what I need. Could not find any questionable reviews. Plus my local shop Parker Performance switched from CPE to CVF.
I am in FL and CV Fab is in Florida. American made!
Getting DP next...cant wait.

I gutted my grille too and put in hexagon mesh when I pulled the bumper.
Screenshot_20200419-085244_Gallery.jpg

MTG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang
Mate the grill looks awesome. Good to know both CVF and CPE produces good products. Can’t really see is your intercooler street size and not the BIG MAC size!
Sponsored