Sponsored

Custom tunes and driving modes

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
This might be a dumb question but I've been obsessively reading the forums while I wait for my new GT to be built. Since there are several driving modes already built into the car, which are basically different tunes, how does this work if you then get a custom tune? Are the driving modes disabled or does the tune then alter based on driving modes? For example, if you get an E85 tune, do you still have normal, sport, track, etc. modes?
Sponsored

huachucastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium 6MT PP
This might be a dumb question but I've been obsessively reading the forums while I wait for my new GT to be built. Since there are several driving modes already built into the car, which are basically different tunes, how does this work if you then get a custom tune? Are the driving modes disabled or does the tune then alter based on driving modes? For example, if you get an E85 tune, do you still have normal, sport, track, etc. modes?
On my EB I added a Ford Performance Pro Tune and it just enhanced all the drives.

Brombones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Mustang PP1
I can only speak for my tune that I got through Lund and the answer to your question is yes, if you get an E85 tune you still have all the modes.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Modes don't change the tune of the engine. It changes the electronics of the accelerator pedal control response, transmission shift points/converter control, steering stiffness, magneride control, etc.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Modes don't change the tune of the engine. It changes the electronics of the accelerator pedal control response, transmission shift points/converter control, steering stiffness, magneride control, etc.
But a tune can change all of that except steering and magneride so it's a valid question.

I was a little worried about it originally, but like everyone else said, they continue to work on top of the tune.

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
All modes are affected by a tune.

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
If you are getting tuned and don't ask for anything specific from your tuner. The drive modes will act the same way as if they were stock as far as their drive ability goes.

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado- extremely stock
Sorry to Necro this thread. I just hated to start a new one and this is the most recent one I found.

in regards to tuning and drive mode, could a tuner custom tune a drive mode to severely limit power? Example being if I were going to allow a less experienced driver such as my wife or a kiddo drive, could the snow/wet mode be severely limited (say from 750+ hp down to 400~ hp)by your tuner?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@ToxicOverwatch yes it can absolutely be done and I’ve done it myself. However, it takes a little innovation and really understanding of how torque is controlled. I don’t know if any commercial tuner will take the time to figure it out for a customer.

Do you have a tune now? If not, you can buy self-tuning equipment and I can show you how it’s done.

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not currently have a tune, I am bone stock for the time being. I am planning to build to 700 or so HP in the coming year and was thinking if this was reasonably possibly, it would be well-worth the time. I would be very interest in learning your process!

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Ok, first of all, you'll need HPTuners/MVPI2 or PCMTec/J2534. Most use HPTuners and I used to, but some have migrated to PCMTec for several reasons.

The stock Coyote and virtually all tuners use what is called WOT start/end pedal positions to force the blade wide open when the pedal is down, regardless of torque request. Ecoboost doesn't do it this way. The first step is to disable this by moving both WOT start/end values up to unobtainable values like 200% for both. Now, the blade will always be controlled by torque request.

The next step is to choose your "neutered" drive mode. For mine I used drive/normal. You will set the 100% pedal values to something lower, like 60%. So when your foot is to the floor in "normal" drive mode, it will only interpret it as 60% pedal.

Next, in the driver demand table under the 60% column (or whatever you choose), you input the torque you want as a function of rpm. You can actually input the stock torque curve here, if you want, and it will act like a stock mustang in Drive.

Finally, you'll have to go into the Normal/Drive shift tables and scale them such that 60% pedal will command 7300 rpm shifs (or whatever you decide).

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You make this sound painfully simple! How would this affect a tune? Specifically let’s say I install a forced induction system and have a tuner work on it. Would this affect the tune outside of simply limiting power, or would this potentially create a conflict?

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This is not entirely true. Torque management is more or less depending on the modes. So you will get more timing and more power in the track and drag modes. Drag has the least tq management.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
You make this sound painfully simple! How would this affect a tune? Specifically let’s say I install a forced induction system and have a tuner work on it. Would this affect the tune outside of simply limiting power, or would this potentially create a conflict?
You would hopefully make these changes to a well-sorted tune and there would be no conflict because it would still run within the intended operating envelope. You could use pcmtec to modify something like a supplied Whipple tune.

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You would hopefully make these changes to a well-sorted tune and there would be no conflict because it would still run within the intended operating envelope. You could use pcmtec to modify something like a supplied Whipple tune.
Perfect! Thank you, I’ll add it to my build list.
Sponsored