Sponsored

Cracked exhaust pipe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2017Mustang GT Premium
Finally got around to putting car on lift and directly under passenger seat area a nice crack almost all the way around the pipe as seen in picture. The location of the crack is about 12-18 inches past the catalytic converters towards rear of car. I cannot tell if that pipe with the crack is part of the Corsa cat back I have or the stock cat pipe fitting into the Corsa. Any advice? The 1 exhaust guy I spoke with for a minute was confident he could fix with a weld but I have no idea since this is my first issue like this . Any help, advice, or suggestions would be appreciated !!

IMG_20220708_143050_01.jpg
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Finally got around to putting car on lift and directly under passenger seat area a nice crack almost all the way around the pipe as seen in picture. The location of the crack is about 12-18 inches past the catalytic converters towards rear of car. I cannot tell if that pipe with the crack is part of the Corsa cat back I have or the stock cat pipe fitting into the Corsa. Any advice? The 1 exhaust guy I spoke with for a minute was confident he could fix with a weld but I have no idea since this is my first issue like this . Any help, advice, or suggestions would be appreciated !!

IMG_20220708_143050_01.jpg
That is CORSA's welded 3.0" x 2.25" concentric reducers.
It's no surprise that it cracked because few will spend the extra labor and argon to back purge Stainless Steel in the exhaust industry.
CORSA has non-welded concentric reducers. You should consider sending the image to CORSA and request replacement non-welded reducers.
Rewelding will result in cracking again and sooner than later.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2017Mustang GT Premium
It's no surprise that it cracked because few will spend the extra labor and argon to back purge Stainless Steel in the exhaust industry.
CORSA has non-welded concentric reducers. You should consider sending the image to CORSA and request replacement non-welded reducers.
Thank you for the details and information I will def. be contacting Corsa. Much appreciated.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Imo seems like a bad design to have the reducer clamped on both ends instead of just welded to the h pipe, since the band clamp crushing down on it puts extra stress on the concentric weld (especially since they don't put a completely even force around the whole pipe). To avoid this happening again I'd have your exhaust guy just weld up that whole slip joint and leave the side with the factory clamp alone. At least once you get the new reducers from corsa.

Just my 2c though, and I know nothing really so take it with a grain of salt lol

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1

Now when i commented on the welds of my corsa HH pipe people criticized me for my concerns. One even said i couldnt expect "sanitary "welds. This is exactly why i had concerns on the weld quality. The welder who did my welding for me said they should never have left the factory with that weld quality.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Now when i commented on the welds of my corsa HH pipe people criticized me for my concerns. One even said i couldnt expect "sanitary "welds. This is exactly why i had concerns on the weld quality. The welder who did my welding for me said they should never have left the factory with that weld quality.
I don't get how they can charge 2 grand for a system with that kind of quality lol

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Now when i commented on the welds of my corsa HH pipe people criticized me for my concerns. One even said i couldnt expect "sanitary "welds.
I remember that exact thread and the comments.
Hygienic (sanitary) tube welds in the exhaust industry are unprofitable for the manufacturer and unaffordable for the consumer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2017Mustang GT Premium
Little update. Took it in to a supposed trusted exhaust shop I explained the issue showed them the picture. 5 minutes later it's on a lift and a guy takes one look at it and goes straight to welding for like 2 minutes and boom it's done before I can blink. They didn't talk or ask me or even show me the work. Not surprisingly now a few days later I hear the same symptoms as when it was freshly cracked. The weak quick weld done didn't hold. Still haven't heard back from Corsa either. Would I be better off just buying a replacement exhaust reducer connector from auto store and having it installed fresh ?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So you may laugh, but have you considered using JB Weld and doing it yourself? JB makes a lot of DIY weld products that are as strong if not stronger than an actual weld.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Little update. Took it in to a supposed trusted exhaust shop I explained the issue showed them the picture. 5 minutes later it's on a lift and a guy takes one look at it and goes straight to welding for like 2 minutes and boom it's done before I can blink. They didn't talk or ask me or even show me the work. Not surprisingly now a few days later I hear the same symptoms as when it was freshly cracked. The weak quick weld done didn't hold. Still haven't heard back from Corsa either. Would I be better off just buying a replacement exhaust reducer connector from auto store and having it installed fresh ?
You’re not going to find a 304 3.0”x2.25” reducer at a chain auto parts store.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2017Mustang GT Premium
You’re not going to find a 304 3.0”x2.25” reducer at a chain auto parts store.
I received the replacement reducers and now just have to have them installed. To get an idea is this something that requires entire exhaust to be dropped/ disconnected to install or is there a simple way of doing it just at the local area? Just trying to get an idea so local shops don't try and charge unreasonable amount just simply to replace these 2 reducers.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I received the replacement reducers and now just have to have them installed. To get an idea is this something that requires entire exhaust to be dropped/ disconnected to install or is there a simple way of doing it just at the local area? Just trying to get an idea so local shops don't try and charge unreasonable amount just simply to replace these 2 reducers.
The entire system should be moved back to install the reducers.
It’s as simple as unbolting the 4 rear hangers, there’s no need to loosen the rear axle back tube clamps.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I would not go to the shop that just welded the crack without even asking you. I sure hope that you did not pay for that.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2017Mustang GT Premium
I would not go to the shop that just welded the crack without even asking you. I sure hope that you did not pay for that.
Yeah no chance going back to the initial weld location. There is a another local shop I'd be going to as I just don't have the ability / knowledge to do this repair so unfortunately I have to rely on a local shop to not mess it up even though it always seems to happen.
Sponsored