Sponsored

FRPP by Borla Exhaust Cracked

Monaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (6MT)
Hey everyone,

So I've been hearing this metallic rattling sound underneath the driver's side of my 2015 GT, almost like birds chirping at each other while clawing into a chalkboard. I finally jacked the car up and found the driver's side portion of the x-pipe cracked in half close to where it connects with the axle back. View media item 16387I took it to a local Ford dealer where they said it looked like someone tried to steal my exhaust (I think it's more of a stress crack?) so they ended up sending me to Meineke to see if they would weld it.

The Meineke guys said they didn't feel comfortable welding it...so...at this point should I take it to another shop to see if I can get it welded, or should i just buy a new x-pipe or, at worst, a new catback?

Thanks in advance everyone
Sponsored

Last edited:

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

So I've been hearing this metallic rattling sound underneath the driver's side of my 2015 GT, almost like birds chirping at each other while clawing into a chalkboard. I finally jacked the car up and found the driver's side portion of the x-pipe cracked in half close to where it connects with the axle back. I took it to a local Ford dealer where they said it looked like someone tried to steal my exhaust (I think it's more of a stress crack?) so they ended up sending me to a Maaco to see if they would weld it.

The Maaco guys said they didn't feel comfortable welding it...so...at this point should I take it to another shop to see if I can get it welded, or should i just buy a new x-pipe or, at worst, a new catback?

Take it to another shop...if they don’t feel comfortable welding it on the car, they can easily Mark it, remove that section from the car and then weld it before re-installing it. I’d also have them take a look at “why” it broke, a flex section or hangers positioned differently may be needed. Engine and trans move on their mounts independently of the body, more so with more hp/launching, if the exhaust or hangers don’t have enough flex to account for engine/trans movement it will break.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Maaco? Take it to a muffler shop. You shouldn't have your car painted by a guy who installs mufflers, so don't have you muffler welded by a guy who shoots paint.

OP
OP

Monaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maaco? Take it to a muffler shop. You shouldn't have your car painted by a guy who installs mufflers, so don't have you muffler welded by a guy who shoots paint.
My mistake! I went to a Meineke, not Maaco. Just edited the post.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Borla will take care of you and send you another x-pipe I'm quite sure if you reach out to them. This is somewhat of an issue with the x-pipe on that system. I'd say just save your money from trying to get it welded and by a replacement x-pipe. Steeda has a 304SS x-pipe for a good price that an exhaust shop can cut, fit and weld for you and then you don't have to worry about it again.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would be interested to see the photo, but I can’t view it ... :frown:

WD :like:

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hey everyone,

So I've been hearing this metallic rattling sound underneath the driver's side of my 2015 GT, almost like birds chirping at each other while clawing into a chalkboard. I finally jacked the car up and found the driver's side portion of the x-pipe cracked in half close to where it connects with the axle back. View media item 16387I took it to a local Ford dealer where they said it looked like someone tried to steal my exhaust (I think it's more of a stress crack?) so they ended up sending me to Meineke to see if they would weld it.

The Meineke guys said they didn't feel comfortable welding it...so...at this point should I take it to another shop to see if I can get it welded, or should i just buy a new x-pipe or, at worst, a new catback?

Do you have headers installed? If so do they have a flex section

OP
OP

Monaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ended up going to MBS Performance Exhaust in Maryland. It was much worse than I thought... probably 80% cracked. They said it was a stress crack caused by the way the exhaust was installed, so I guess the pipes didn't have enough play. They welded it up for $39 and I'm a happy customer for sure.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ended up going to MBS Performance Exhaust in Maryland. It was much worse than I thought... probably 80% cracked. They said it was a stress crack caused by the way the exhaust was installed, so I guess the pipes didn't have enough play. They welded it up for $39 and I'm a happy customer for sure.
Yeah a lot of these aftermarkrt headers dont have flex joints. You shouldn't have had an issue if you are on stock headers.