Sponsored

Could this bov hurt my old mustang. Please help a teen out. Need help as soon as possible.

imnewhere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2015 base mustang ecoboost
Hello, I am 18 and bought my first car 8 months ago. It was a 2015 Mustang ecoboost that now has 150k miles on it. I need help pretty soon as this will be hard to return since it will be sent out today or tomorrow. I made an impulse decision and ordered a turbo smart bov (https://www.americanmuscle.com/turb...-valve-vr2-ts-0223-1066.html#customer_q_and_a) last night around 1 am. I was wondering if this may hurt my engine. Some people say it does and others say it doesn't. It is a dual port bov so half vents to the atmosphere and the other half goes back into the intake unlike the stock one where all the air goes back into the intake which I'm pretty sure leads to the mass airflow sensor. I'm actually not sure if the U.S ecoboost uses a manifold absolute pressure sensor or a maf. People say that because of this it would mess up the mass airflow sensor or maybe the map and could cause the car to run rich which may mess up the car. Do I need to get a tune for this to work safely and if I do would the tune also hurt my car? Will the bov itself end up hurting my car? Is it just unsafe in general for a Mustang with this many miles? I am pretty concerned now about the upgrade because I want to keep the car running as smooth and safe as possible and not risk hurting the engine as it's probably already weak with this many miles. Thanks for any information
Sponsored

Last edited:

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So you were drinking and made an impulse buy? Classic car guy move LOL. Want to know something fun? Impulse buying parts actually never goes away, it just requires less and less beers over time :cwl: .

Call the MFG and ask if it requires a tune. I'd hazard a guess blowing less air back into the intake isn't going to do any damage, but would likely require a tune. But I'd only be guessing.

OP
OP
imnewhere

imnewhere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
So you were drinking and made an impulse buy? Classic car guy move LOL. Want to know something fun? Impulse buying parts actually never goes away, it just requires less and less beers over time :cwl: .

Call the MFG and ask if it requires a tune. I'd hazard a guess blowing less air back into the intake isn't going to do any damage, but would likely require a tune. But I'd only be guessing.
Sorry if I'm an idiot but what does mfg mean?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Hello, I am 18 and bought my first car 8 months ago. It was a 2015 Mustang ecoboost that now has 150k miles on it. I need help pretty soon as this will be hard to return since it will be sent out today or tomorrow. I made an impulse decision and ordered a turbo smart bov (https://www.americanmuscle.com/turb...-valve-vr2-ts-0223-1066.html#customer_q_and_a) last night around 1 am. I was wondering if this may hurt my engine. Some people say it does and others say it doesn't. It is a dual port bov so half vents to the atmosphere and the other half goes back into the intake unlike the stock one where all the air goes back into the intake which I'm pretty sure leads to the mass airflow sensor. I'm actually not sure if the U.S ecoboost uses a manifold absolute pressure sensor or a maf. People say that because of this it would mess up the mass airflow sensor or maybe the map and could cause the car to run rich which may mess up the car. Do I need to get a tune for this to work safely and if I do would the tune also hurt my car? Will the bov itself end up hurting my car? Is it just unsafe in general for a Mustang with this many miles? I am pretty concerned now about the upgrade because I want to keep the car running as smooth and safe as possible and not risk hurting the engine as it's probably already weak with this many miles. Thanks for any information
Your car does not use a Mass Airflow sensor, but instead calculates Air/Fuel ratios based on Intake Air Temperature (IAT), and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP).

OP
OP
imnewhere

imnewhere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Your car does not use a Mass Airflow sensor, but instead calculates Air/Fuel ratios based on Intake Air Temperature (IAT), and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP).
Thanks for the information. Because the car has a Map sensor would the car require a tune with the bov?

Sponsored

OP
OP
imnewhere

imnewhere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Manufacturer. I believe American Muscle is a glorified drop shipper, so I don't know if they could give you a good answer.
Ok thanks for the info. I will contact them once they open. I only use american muscle because they seem to have all the parts I want and they ship super quick.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Hello, I am 18 and bought my first car 8 months ago. It was a 2015 Mustang ecoboost that now has 150k miles on it. I want to keep the car running as smooth and safe as possible and not risk hurting the engine as it's probably already weak with this many miles. Thanks for any information
šŸ‘€

Smooth and safe? LOL this equation: 18 year old + 150k miles + wanting to do mods = doesn't sound smooth and safe to me.

1700067025978.png

OP
OP
imnewhere

imnewhere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
šŸ‘€

Smooth and safe? LOL this equation: 18 year old + 150k miles + wanting to do mods = doesn't sound smooth and safe to me.

1700067025978.png
yeah, I may have been suicidal one evening and ended up getting pulled over doing 108. The cop let me off cause he had a suicidal son and understood and instead, I was court-ordered to be sent to a program for suicidal teens.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
yeah, I may have been suicidal one evening and ended up getting pulled over doing 108. The cop let me off cause he had a suicidal son and understood and instead, I was court-ordered to be sent to a program for suicidal teens.
This really isn't the place to dump out your purse of personal issues. We're just here to talk cars.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Thanks for the information. Because the car has a Map sensor would the car require a tune with the bov?
In my opinion, you should get a tune if you want to run that VTA BOV. Even though there is no MAF sensor, the amount of fuel being injected is still assuming a certain volume of air, so by venting some of it, you will likely still get a rich condition momentarily.

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

TRUTH!!! Purchased Weld Wheels yesterday out of the clear blue, on Black Friday Special... didn't even have a drink!!!!

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Are you doing alright now? Getting all the help you need? I know some people that have been suicidal and I know that is a burden that is incredibly difficult to overcome. I know I don't know your specific situation, but I promise you that the world is a better place with you in it and I hope you never forget that. Don't let jerks like KingKona convince you otherwise. This forum brings us all together because of cars, yes, but that is only the surface for many of us. If you ever need anyone to talk to, even a stranger, you don't hesitate to DM me.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Are you doing alright now? Getting all the help you need? I know some people that have been suicidal and I know that is a burden that is incredibly difficult to overcome. I know I don't know your specific situation, but I promise you that the world is a better place with you in it and I hope you never forget that. Don't let jerks like KingKona convince you otherwise. This forum brings us all together because of cars, yes, but that is only the surface for many of us. If you ever need anyone to talk to, even a stranger, you don't hesitate to DM me.
Iā€™ve had KingDoofus on ignore for a long time, guy is an absolute asshat when thereā€™s no reason to be one.

OP, hope youā€™re doing ok and can get any help you need. Regarding impulse buys, yeah weā€™ve all done it. Some turn out great others not so much, live and learn. As others have mentioned youā€™ll likely want a tune, find a good tuner, thatā€˜s half the battle. Iā€™m not tuned so I donā€™t have any recommendations but thereā€™s plenty of folks here that can help you out. Enjoy your ride!

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
šŸ‘€

It's safer if none of his mods involved turning up the boost.

...But what are the chances of that?
šŸ˜…

At 150,000 miles, doesn't that car need bushings more than it needs mods?

I'm not sure if it applies to an Ecoboost, but I learned this from the world of the Evo:
If you want it to last you can modify things, but don't turn up the boost.

The supercharger talk on this forum seems to have validated that conclusion.

All the Evo owners talking about how many engines they've been through have turned up the boost in a pissing contest with their turbo buddies. They do dyno tests and "sick pulls" and never show up at an event with timers or trophies.

My Evo has done autocross and HPDE and at 160,000 miles on the original drivetrain, the big sign of its age is the bad paint. From the driver's seat, well, it doesn't always go into reverse smoothly.
I've had it tuned, and had the tuner tinker with all the maps except boost. It probably makes 50hp over stock, without turning up the boost.
(Yes, other Evo owners think I'm a weirdo. They can go ahead and think that as they buy engine #3.)

If I didn't know the car for the first 150,000 miles, and didn't know what the break-in was like, I might guess at what was going to break and set aside money to fix it.
Like, I'd poke around for an idea of what a new long block would cost, and the labor to install it.
Sponsored

Last edited: