Convertible top fabric replacement

kmetz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Conv. 16 Cadi SRX 18 Cadi XT5
I purchased my 2016 GT from Vroom the end of February. When it was delivered I noticed 2 small tears in the convertible top that had been repaired. Since they weren't disclosed online, I reached out to Vroom to get them to cover the cost of the new top fabric. Last week I had the mustang at the Ford Dealer for service and a recall, and asked them to quote the top replacement. They came back with $4,836 not including Labor. I went back today and asked about the quote, and was told that the dealer doesn't install top fabric anymore, but that would be the cost for them to get the material. 5k seems insane just for convertible top fabric. Has anyone else replaced their top, and how much did it cost?
Thanks
Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
There's a big dent in the wood on my living room floor where my jaw hit it!

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Someone had their top replaced, I don’t remember the US price but I think it converted to about CDN$4K, parts and labour.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I had mine replaced under warranty. The local dealers around Cleveland don't do vert top replacements anymore, they farmed it out to a local shop and ford supplied the parts. The service writer who is a friend of mine showed me the bill that I was not supposed to see. It was 5,800 in parts and the local shop charged 900 to install it.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
I'm on the fourth roof all done under warranty, those prices are much less than what it costs in the UK for parts and labour. They also didn't replace just the fabric but the entire assembly (fabric, frame etc) on mine.

There's a thread I've made about the tears in the roof being caused by the tonneau caps and I suggest you read that before you fit the caps to your new roof.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kmetz77

kmetz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
I just obtained a 2nd quote today. $4,300 with Labor. sent both quotes to Vroom. They're going to love those!

celica0774

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1
That's getting spendy.
In 2014 a local shop quoted me $1900 for parts and labor to replace the top fabric on my 2006 GT.
When you ask for convertible top quotes, be sure to specify what to replace- outer fabric, headliner, mechanism. You probably only need the outer fabric.
The first time I asked for a quote to "replace the top" on my 1988 LX5.0, the dealer quote turned out to be parts and labor to replace the fabric and the -entire- mechanism.

OP
OP
kmetz77

kmetz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
Vroom actually paid out the $4,300. I checked with the shop. That is only for the outer material, not the headliner or frame.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
That'll be why mine was much more expensive, the cost was for the entire roof (mechanism, fabric, labour etc)