Sponsored

Converter issues with Whipple stock tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Has anyone had issues with their converters after installing the Stage 2 kit? Took it out for the first time tonight and went literally a mile down the road, got on it, it spun (shocker) but also felt a little lazy, so I take it back to my buddies garage that has been housing it and realize it has the classic sulfur stench. I think it may have some air in the coolant system so it seems to be running hot too. I borrowed a coolant vacuum fill device and will datalog tomorrow. I wasnt in the mood to dig any further tonight after working 12 hours.
Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Sulfur stench could be a sign of your cats failing, which would in turn cause the power to drop.

The dealer that installed my whipple as part of the overall vehicle financing never gapped the NGK plugs. The car ran fine up until about 7,000 miles then fuel mileage started to tank and I would get the sulfur stench after WOT pulls. The exhaust tone started to change and power was down as well. Took it to the dealer and found out the cats were practically destroyed.

I ended up purchasing and putting catted (non green) Kooks 1 7/8 headers on as the dealer absorbed the installation cost due to them never gapping the plugs which may have contributed to the cat failure.

It appears a few other whipple owners had their cats fail on them as well, and since that time Whipple has updated their tune a few weeks back. See the Whipple Tune issues thread for more info.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
This was the second time the car was started. (First time I wasn’t there, but was told no smell) My whole logic of using the new Whipple tune was the cat temp over model that is supposed to be in these calibrations. I will double check the plug gap because your issues were the first that came to mind when I smelled it. I’m also going to vacuum fill the coolant.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This was the second time the car was started. (First time I wasn’t there, but was told no smell) My whole logic of using the new Whipple tune was the cat temp over model that is supposed to be in these calibrations. I will double check the plug gap because your issues were the first that came to mind when I smelled it. I’m also going to vacuum fill the coolant.
Just an fyi...I vacuum filled my coolant and still had to add once or twice after a heating and cooling cycle. There are just so many places for air bubbles to hide in these systems.

Sulfur would point to cats for sure. Oddly enough I had one bout with "the smell" after a few miles on my install as well. Hasn't happened since and the car feels great. However cat delete coming soon.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.