Sponsored

Considering going to TT setup

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey all, I was considering going for an Aldowelds mid mount turbo kit in the near future and was wondering a few things for those who have similar setups. I've been running a Whipple 2.9L on my 2015 Mustang for 6-7 years now and just wanted to change it up. Not looking to break any records, I still have been dailying this car and only do the occasional half-mile events nowadays.

1. What size turbos are you guys running and are you satisfied in your choice? Aldowelds offers a HPT/WWR 6266, HPT/WWR 6466, and a Precision 6870. The latter 2 I think are too big for me. Anyone opted for a different path like 6062s rather than what is offered here?

2. My fuel setup is ID1050X, E85, Fore dual pump 485. Going down this path, I'd imagine upgrading to a new hat to utilize triple pumps would give a safe head room there but what would be your suggestion here?

Hopefully I can make some decent money back from selling the supercharger setup to fund the turbo kit/install.
Sponsored

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
What are your power goals? If you want to stay under 1,000whp, then your current fuel system is sufficient. Do you run both pumps hot, or one on a hobs switch? I would keep both hot to avoid a potential lean spot.

As for turbos, I prefer smaller turbos on a street car. Aldo has an option where you can get his kit without turbos and add your own. I like the Precision Gen 2 5558's. I think they would be make good power but still provide some low end.

OP
OP

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'll settle for around or under 1000whp. I run both my pumps hot.

Yeah I thinking of going smaller than what he offers so okay that makes sense to get just his kit without turbos. I'll look into those 5558s as another option.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
What made you choose Aldo over the other brands out there? I been looking at the Hellion midmount as well & was going with the stock turbos the kit comes with.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I have Hellion's street sleeper kit on my car. I have precision 62/66's and see no reason to go smaller.

Sponsored

OP
OP

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What made you choose Aldo over the other brands out there? I been looking at the Hellion midmount as well & was going with the stock turbos the kit comes with.
The shop that I go to has 2 Mustangs each running an Aldowelds kit with non-ball bearing 6266 and Hellion kit with Comp oil-less 6062. They both look nice from what I can see so it wouldn't matter to me which one I could end up with. I was leaning more towards Aldo mostly because he's local to me.

OP
OP

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have Hellion's street sleeper kit on my car. I have precision 62/66's and see no reason to go smaller.
I think what made me question about going bigger is the Aldo setup my shop runs are 6266 journal bearing turbos. I'd image a ball bearing version would be noticeably better in overall drivability. It's probably been like 20 years since I've toyed with turbos in my WRX but those were tiny compared to what we can use on this platform properly.

Last edited:

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I looked at the Aldo welds one. Only considering the Hellion for the lower price. I dont recall if the Aldo one comes with turbos or if its $9k with out turbos

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
And apparently you aren't even allowed to see a picture of the full kit before you purchase...

I've heard they are really high quality, and what little they show appears to be higher quality hardware than my Hellion kit.
he uses a modified LTH for his setup, all the rest of it isn't really all that unique other than he uses an electric pump instead of the mechanical single stage dry sump setup that Hellion does, or the Comp turbos.

I guess there is a difference in where the BOV is located too. but it really functions the same.

I would say hellion is still best bang for buck considering the options that can be run on it.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I've been driving frequently this summer my twin turbo setup. I love when I hear it's overkill to drive a 1k whp setup on the street. hahaha I don't have any problems. Except I need to setup my boost controller to lower boost in 1st and 2nd. Me personally, I will never go back to any other power adder. I'm running precision 64/66 gen2 BB turbo's and they spool right now. The ability to dial a boost level with the touch of a button is the shit. On startup it's on gate, which with a 7lb spring it hits about 8.5 psi. Then I have settings for 10,12 and 16-17 psi. Mostly I drive around on 12psi. Probably in the low 800's wheel. 10psi made 776 on the dyno. I run two pumps continuously, no issues that I can tell. I have only been running E85. I don't understand all these people with hard starts on E85 at times and in the cold. Mine starts right up like stock. Driving around out of boost, it literally feel like stock. And my car is plain jane mustang with a quiet full 3" exhaust, so no one has a clue until the wastegates open. It's a blast to drive. Roll on in 5th gear at highway speed is my favorite. Just a nice steady continuous pull, you look down and your at 130 without even realizing. I have a 3:31 rear and the top of 5th is good for 185mph. I roll raced a guy with a whipple 10spd, base car with 17" beadlocks, etc. Mine has 20" drag radials. I thought the 10 spd would give me a decent run, but I pulled away hard and left bus length's.

I did upgrade to 1300x for the headroom over the 1050x. And they drive flawless. I'm going to turn it up to 20psi sometime and see how it does. I only have a rods piston short block(MMR that everyone in the past craps on), but it's been holding up perfectly for over 17k hard ass miles.

Go turbo and don't look back. Only thing I will add is that it is a different kind of power. A friend of mine has a C7Z with about 850-900 wheel and that thing does hit hard and fast. The positive blower "can" be more perceived fun at lower speeds on the street. They have that instant hit. You can be more of a hoonigan than you can be with the turbo setup. Mine will still blow the tires off easily in 1st and 2nd, it's just different. It doesn't start making the jam until over 3-4k and when it does, it comes on real fast. So fast you can barely lift to keep from hitting 8k rpm when the tires spin.

OP
OP

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah I know the power delivery is very different especially on the top end and that's why I want to change it up. Different boost levels for whichever type of activity on the fly will be nice.
Sponsored