Sponsored

Considering Bullitt purchase. Your advice please.

Burt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Burt
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Hi all. First time here. Pleased to meet you.
Went for a short test drive in the 2019 Bullitt here in Fremont CA yesterday. Fantastic car. Very exciting! Never drove anything like it.
If I buy it, I want to drive the car everyday, and i'll probably keep it a good long while to enjoy it.

Could I ask your advice on:

1. I'm not a fan of the recaro seats. Will the standard seats do?
2. Do i need the "electronics package' option?
3. Magna-ride option seems mandatory. True?
4. purchase an extended warranty?
5. Any other advice would be most welcome.

If properly maintained, is there a "oil consumption" issue that I need to worry about? This is a major concern for me.
I'm also not sure about this "ticking" noise from other threads.

I don't expect perfection, but I want to be aware of and avoid major issues (like the oil), and just enjoy this awesome car.

Many thanks,
Burt
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
From you questions it sounds as if youā€™d be happier with GT with PP1, premium for the leather seats, I have the cloth seats(never been a fan of leather seats) and at 6ā€™4ā€ 216lbs the regular seats give me great support. Which ever way you go youā€™ll want the larger touch screen, I have it in my 17 F150 and love it, I have the smaller screen in my 17 Mustang GT and it kinda sucks.
On a side note if I had the money for a Bullitt, Iā€™d by pass it and go to the 350.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
5. If you are not a die hard steve mcqueen fan I think you would be better off with the pp1 or pp2 gt. Then you can spend the extra money on making the car your own.

1. I have standard cloth seats and they are very nice. Firm but not stiff and they keep you planted.

2. I dont have it, but if you like the tech aspect go for it.

3. I'm not too knowledgeable on this one

4. If you get a good enough deal and don't plan to modify the car much then go for it.
ie no tune, forced induction, e85

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Hi, Burt! I have a base car with no options, but I have driven a MagneRide car on the street and have sat in the Recaros. Replies below to your questions -

1) the standard seats are comfortable with enough support for spirited street driving. If you plan to take your car on a road course a lot, get the Recaros for more lateral support. Depending on your body size and torso length, you may or may not find the Recaros as forgiving on longer drives.

2) If you like the better stereo (it has a CD player while the base one does not) and the safety/comfort features, and you don't mind the subwoofer taking up some trunk room (it's got a relatively smaller footprint than previous trunk-mounted subwoofers in other Mustang generation), and you want navigation, then it's a nice add. However, if you are concerned about navigation, you can just use Andriod Auto or Apple CarPlay in the Sync 3 system.

3) I wouldn't say it's mandatory, but there is a noticeable difference in ride comfort with that system. I personally like the base suspension, as it's firm but not punishing. However, if you want to gain the confort advantage, the MagneRide is a nicely priced option. The shocks are more expensive come replacement time, which is why I didn't necessarily want it. I have not driven on a track, but as there are many stories out there about what it does, I think many would say "get it".

4) I have never purchased an extended warranty, however, if you were concerned about costly future trouble spots, one might bring you piece of mind. On these cars, the bigger ticket items would be the engine and transmission (that's covered by 5 year/60000 mile powertrain factory warranty), the infotainment system, aluminum body panel oxidation (primarily the hood), MagneRide, and the active exhaust system.

Regarding the oil consumption, I have had 2 S550 Mustangs now, and in both cases, I did NOT change the oil early, I simply monitored the level and drover normally. If you have a problem with it, you would likely see it drop by 1 qt within the first 1000-2000 miles. As far as noises go, some of what you might hear is a clicking or rattling noise, which is from the DI injectors and high pressure pump that's part of the fuel system. While perhaps concerning, they shouldn't be anything that would cause a durability concern. Some times that noise is hit or miss on the engines.

I've got 9500 miles on mine since last September, and the only thing that I've encountered is the rattling noise. It's not constant, by the way, and I heard it as soon as I drove the car off the dealership lot. I have not topped off oil before the first oil change, which I had done at 5000 miles (about 7 months into the ownership period).

Hope this is helpful.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - Getting the Bullitt is a personal choice. In my case I like the unique color which will not be commonly seen. I also liked the retro touches like bright strips around windows and front grill because it reminds me of the cars from the ā€˜60s. I also like the plainness (sleeper look) with no pony on the grill, no callout numbers on the sides and no rear spoiler. Donā€™t buy it for the extra 20 hp - inconsequential in my opinion. Like another response said, if you decide you want the uniqueness of the Bullitt some of the options depend on your usage plans. Iā€™m using it as a daily driver and have no track plans or serious road course plans so didnā€™t want or need Recaro seats and no regrets. I opted for the Magneride which was probably a frivolous choice, but I suspect the standard suspension would be fine for my daily driving needs. I bought the performance package because I like some of the perks such as memory seat and CD player even though it was a bit pricey. My opinion is If you want to save some money, skip the options. If you can afford it, get them. Again from my personal ā€œold guyā€ perspective the Bullitt is a unique car that youā€™re not likely to regret getting. Happy driving... Bruce

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Burt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Burt
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
From you questions it sounds as if youā€™d be happier with GT with PP1, premium for the leather seats, I have the cloth seats(never been a fan of leather seats) and at 6ā€™4ā€ 216lbs the regular seats give me great support. Which ever way you go youā€™ll want the larger touch screen, I have it in my 17 F150 and love it, I have the smaller screen in my 17 Mustang GT and it kinda sucks.
On a side note if I had the money for a Bullitt, Iā€™d by pass it and go to the 350.
Thank you Kent for the great advice. I'm sure the 350 is an excellent car, but I'm a bit stuck on the Bullitt!

OP
OP

Burt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Burt
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Hi, Burt! I have a base car with no options, but I have driven a MagneRide car on the street and have sat in the Recaros. Replies below to your questions -

1) the standard seats are comfortable with enough support for spirited street driving. If you plan to take your car on a road course a lot, get the Recaros for more lateral support. Depending on your body size and torso length, you may or may not find the Recaros as forgiving on longer drives.

2) If you like the better stereo (it has a CD player while the base one does not) and the safety/comfort features, and you don't mind the subwoofer taking up some trunk room (it's got a relatively smaller footprint than previous trunk-mounted subwoofers in other Mustang generation), and you want navigation, then it's a nice add. However, if you are concerned about navigation, you can just use Andriod Auto or Apple CarPlay in the Sync 3 system.

3) I wouldn't say it's mandatory, but there is a noticeable difference in ride comfort with that system. I personally like the base suspension, as it's firm but not punishing. However, if you want to gain the confort advantage, the MagneRide is a nicely priced option. The shocks are more expensive come replacement time, which is why I didn't necessarily want it. I have not driven on a track, but as there are many stories out there about what it does, I think many would say "get it".

4) I have never purchased an extended warranty, however, if you were concerned about costly future trouble spots, one might bring you piece of mind. On these cars, the bigger ticket items would be the engine and transmission (that's covered by 5 year/60000 mile powertrain factory warranty), the infotainment system, aluminum body panel oxidation (primarily the hood), MagneRide, and the active exhaust system.

Regarding the oil consumption, I have had 2 S550 Mustangs now, and in both cases, I did NOT change the oil early, I simply monitored the level and drover normally. If you have a problem with it, you would likely see it drop by 1 qt within the first 1000-2000 miles. As far as noises go, some of what you might hear is a clicking or rattling noise, which is from the DI injectors and high pressure pump that's part of the fuel system. While perhaps concerning, they shouldn't be anything that would cause a durability concern. Some times that noise is hit or miss on the engines.

I've got 9500 miles on mine since last September, and the only thing that I've encountered is the rattling noise. It's not constant, by the way, and I heard it as soon as I drove the car off the dealership lot. I have not topped off oil before the first oil change, which I had done at 5000 miles (about 7 months into the ownership period).

Hope this is helpful.

Hi Tony! Many thanks for the thoughtful and excellent advice. Very helpful. I now think the "electronics" package is not needed, the "magna ride" is a must, and the oil issue is managable. I like that you got the "base" car. That's what I want as well.

OP
OP

Burt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Burt
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Hi - Getting the Bullitt is a personal choice. In my case I like the unique color which will not be commonly seen. I also liked the retro touches like bright strips around windows and front grill because it reminds me of the cars from the ā€˜60s. I also like the plainness (sleeper look) with no pony on the grill, no callout numbers on the sides and no rear spoiler. Donā€™t buy it for the extra 20 hp - inconsequential in my opinion. Like another response said, if you decide you want the uniqueness of the Bullitt some of the options depend on your usage plans. Iā€™m using it as a daily driver and have no track plans or serious road course plans so didnā€™t want or need Recaro seats and no regrets. I opted for the Magneride which was probably a frivolous choice, but I suspect the standard suspension would be fine for my daily driving needs. I bought the performance package because I like some of the perks such as memory seat and CD player even though it was a bit pricey. My opinion is If you want to save some money, skip the options. If you can afford it, get them. Again from my personal ā€œold guyā€ perspective the Bullitt is a unique car that your not likely to regret getting. Happy driving... Bruce
Thank you Bruce. Your perspective is well taken. I like it for the same reasons you do. I'm attracted to its uniqueness, and you're correct: it's a personal choice. Reaching out to you and others with more experience than I to make the right choices. I think the standard seats will be fine for my daily driving needs, and i will get the magnaride option. From what I understand, it's not frivolous at all. I want to enjoy the car for many years and not regret it.
Thanks again. Burt

OP
OP

Burt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Burt
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
5. If you are not a die hard steve mcqueen fan I think you would be better off with the pp1 or pp2 gt. Then you can spend the extra money on making the car your own.

1. I have standard cloth seats and they are very nice. Firm but not stiff and they keep you planted.

2. I dont have it, but if you like the tech aspect go for it.

3. I'm not too knowledgeable on this one

4. If you get a good enough deal and don't plan to modify the car much then go for it.
ie no tune, forced induction, e85
Very good advice Matt. Thanks for your thoughts. In all honesty, the Bullitt is the first GT car that has appealed to me. I am a huge fan of the movie (is that wrong?), but in my own defense anyone can appreciate the Bullitt on its own merits.
Many thanks, Burt

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Very good advice Matt. Thanks for your thoughts. In all honesty, the Bullitt is the first GT car that has appealed to me. I am a huge fan of the movie (is that wrong?), but in my own defense anyone can appreciate the Bullitt on its own merits.
Many thanks, Burt
Hi Burt. Do not own a Bullitt but really wanted one. Bad knee, end of story. No, it is not wrong to be a huge fan of the movie.

Getting a car with MagneRide but not the electronics package will be a challenge. Couldn't find a 2019 or 2020 within 100 miles of your location. You are either going to need to travel to get one or special order a 2020.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Burt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Burt
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Hi Burt. Do not own a Bullitt but really wanted one. Bad knee, end of story. No, it is not wrong to be a huge fan of the movie.

Getting a car with MagneRide but not the electronics package will be a challenge. Couldn't find a 2019 or 2020 within 100 miles of your location. You are either going to need to travel to get one or special order a 2020.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
Hi Ira! Thank you for checking! You rock! I'm sure that you're exactly right. I will budget for the MagneRide + Electronic package + Standard seats and that's it.
Thanks again. Burt

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Thank you Kent for the great advice. I'm sure the 350 is an excellent car, but I'm a bit stuck on the Bullitt!
Then friend... it is too late. You have been bitten by the bullitt bug. You will buy it. Tonight you will watch Bullitt and the memberberries will set in.

one of us
one of us
one of us

As for options
-grab the electronics pack
-skip the reccaros (you can see Matt breakdown of why he skipped them on his channel)
-as for magnaride, it is a solid investment. I opted to not have it because I was worried about how the system would age. That being said, i promptly upgraded the base suspension suspension to steeda's SMcQueen setup as my future build will involve a blower. I think the magniride has a higher capacity out of the door as the base suspension has around a 600lbs weight limit (someone fact check me on this please).
-As for the extended warranty, just get ford ESP. Hell, I think you can finance it separately at a lower rate through budco. ESP is a real extended plan that is backed by ANY ford dealership. Over the life of my focus ford paid for an absurd amount of repairs (I only had to chip in 50bucks). I only went with my dealers extended warranty after I they were able to prove that there was a backup plan (in writing) if they folded. They also agreed to pay a large chunk of my July repairs on my focus as a service plan sign on bonus. Remember that the dealership makes money directly off of its plan but only gets a portion of the Ford ESP payment. As such, if you let them know you are thinking about ESP, they will try to grease your palms a bit.

All of that being said, I would fight the urge if:
1-you are looking for a track car
2-you are looking for a drag car
3-you plan to do any roush blower upgrades. Only whipple has figure out how to mount a sc on the bullitt with a warranty

In summary, if you want a 19 bullitt, now is the time to grab one... you can even use x-pricing if you are already an MCA member. You can realistically walk out with one for the high 30s in Texas

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Then friend... it is too late. You have been bitten by the bullitt bug. You will buy it. Tonight you will watch Bullitt and the memberberries will set in.

one of us
one of us
one of us

As for options
-grab the electronics pack
-skip the reccaros (you can see Matt breakdown of why he skipped them on his channel)
-as for magnaride, it is a solid investment. I opted to not have it because I was worried about how the system would age. That being said, i promptly upgraded the base suspension suspension to steeda's SMcQueen setup as my future build will involve a blower. I think the magniride has a higher capacity out of the door as the base suspension has around a 600lbs weight limit (someone fact check me on this please).
-As for the extended warranty, just get ford ESP. Hell, I think you can finance it separately at a lower rate through budco. ESP is a real extended plan that is backed by ANY ford dealership. Over the life of my focus ford paid for an absurd amount of repairs (I only had to chip in 50bucks). I only went with my dealers extended warranty after I they were able to prove that there was a backup plan (in writing) if they folded. They also agreed to pay a large chunk of my July repairs on my focus as a service plan sign on bonus. Remember that the dealership makes money directly off of its plan but only gets a portion of the Ford ESP payment. As such, if you let them know you are thinking about ESP, they will try to grease your palms a bit.

All of that being said, I would fight the urge if:
1-you are looking for a track car
2-you are looking for a drag car
3-you plan to do any roush blower upgrades. Only whipple has figure out how to mount a sc on the bullitt with a warranty

In summary, if you want a 19 bullitt, now is the time to grab one... you can even use x-pricing if you are already an MCA member. You can realistically walk out with one for the high 30s in Texas

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
When I was considering a Bullitt, I was going to get the Recaros till I found out they were NOT electrically adjustable and not heated or cooled. Would have been a tough sell for the wife.

Abomination

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hi all. First time here. Pleased to meet you.
Went for a short test drive in the 2019 Bullitt here in Fremont CA yesterday. Fantastic car. Very exciting! Never drove anything like it.
If I buy it, I want to drive the car everyday, and i'll probably keep it a good long while to enjoy it.

Could I ask your advice on:

1. I'm not a fan of the recaro seats. Will the standard seats do?
2. Do i need the "electronics package' option?
3. Magna-ride option seems mandatory. True?
4. purchase an extended warranty?
5. Any other advice would be most welcome.

If properly maintained, is there a "oil consumption" issue that I need to worry about? This is a major concern for me.
I'm also not sure about this "ticking" noise from other threads.

I don't expect perfection, but I want to be aware of and avoid major issues (like the oil), and just enjoy this awesome car.

Many thanks,
Burt

1. Standard seats are more comfortable, have a/c and heat, and have the electric seat adjusters and lumbar with memory recall. The recaro seats were too firm and tight. This is the only option I didn't get, I wouldn't have bought the car if those were the only seats.

2. I'd say yes. The screen is very nice, all the toys and tech work well.

3. True, it makes a huge difference I think. There are some very rough roads near my shop, the magnaride soaks them up.

4. No, you have a 5yr 60k power train. I own car dealerships and have sold those for years, the claim rate is so low on a new car that the 2000-2500 warranty you would buy costs them 3-400 bucks.

5. I had the option to buy kind of whatever I wanted. I checked out the gt350 but it was a bit too "boy racer" for me with the wings and stripes. I really liked the subdued look of the bullitt and the fact that they shaved all the emblems etc. I have no attachment to the bullitt name or steve mcqueen (matter of fact one of the first mods I did was to get a smooth rear panel and get rid of the huge bullseye). Plus, the price isn't that much more than a well equipped GT, I got a hell of a deal and I'm sure you could get even better now if you shopped around.

No oil consumption I've seen. The only issues I've had was a bit of door rattling, I'm planning on some dynamat and foam for that. I also hear a slight ticking at 2000 rpm, but I'm assuming its the direct injection. Pretty much all DI cars have a tick or rattle from the 40k psi injectors. Some people say lifters or crank clearance but I don't think so. Lifters need some time to goop up and stick and I've heard many crank and rod knocks, it's not that. I doubt I will have the car over 5 years so I'm not too concerned either way.
Sponsored