Advice on Supercharger system 2019 Bullitt

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I am back on this site after 4 years. I sold my '19 Bullitt due to unforseen circumstances. I had it only 6 months and put a Whipple on it that ran perfect. I have had other S550 with blowers and am thinking of a centrifugal blower on this '19 I bought last year. The immediate torque of the Whipple, while fun was hard on the clutch. SO, am looking at a centri. I want a complete kit including the tune. No tuner kits. Please don't ask why, just want to install a turnkey. Don't need the MAX power it could make. I have been there, done that. Don't want it.

I am looking at those that have installed/had installed a procharger, vortech or ESS. I am not sure if there are other manufacturers.
Here are my questions:
1) Which kit did you go with and why?
2) Any issues with the company?
3) Cost and any issues with installation.
Thank you to the group!
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Before I decided I wanted the fun of a PD, ESS was my top contender. Seems like a kit where no modifications nessasary except trimming the drivers side valve cover front outside edge. Great value, bang for your buck. Good luck

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
I am back on this site after 4 years. I sold my '19 Bullitt due to unforseen circumstances. I had it only 6 months and put a Whipple on it that ran perfect. I have had other S550 with blowers and am thinking of a centrifugal blower on this '19 I bought last year. The immediate torque of the Whipple, while fun was hard on the clutch. SO, am looking at a centri. I want a complete kit including the tune. No tuner kits. Please don't ask why, just want to install a turnkey. Don't need the MAX power it could make. I have been there, done that. Don't want it.

I am looking at those that have installed/had installed a procharger, vortech or ESS. I am not sure if there are other manufacturers.
Here are my questions:
1) Which kit did you go with and why?
2) Any issues with the company?
3) Cost and any issues with installation.
Thank you to the group!
My 100% centrifugal suggestion is an ESS G3X. Insanely easy installation, great product quality, and looks sharp under the hood. The only thing is that they do not sell pre-calibrated kits. You will need to contact Lund and get it tuned; however, those tunes are so dialed in and verified that it will be 2-3 revisions and DONE.
1) ESS G3X with 120mm pulley for pump gas. Easy install and fast shipping
2) Some people mentioned frustration when their kits started shipping with a cast bracket instead of the initial CNC bracket, but I haven't heard of any quality issues and this was simply a production decision based on demand.
3) Installation seems to be the simplest. Haven't heard about as much false knock as Vortech/paxton because it isn't such a tight install, and I am not a fan of the extended balancer design of Procharger's kits (maybe just he HO version). Cost for the ESS G3X, which can be shipped with injectors and the BAP will be less than $8k. Factor $850-$1k for tuning and another $1k for install (unless you do it yourself) and you are boosted and loving life for less than $10k all in.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
My 100% centrifugal suggestion is an ESS G3X. Insanely easy installation, great product quality, and looks sharp under the hood. The only thing is that they do not sell pre-calibrated kits. You will need to contact Lund and get it tuned; however, those tunes are so dialed in and verified that it will be 2-3 revisions and DONE.
1) ESS G3X with 120mm pulley for pump gas. Easy install and fast shipping
2) Some people mentioned frustration when their kits started shipping with a cast bracket instead of the initial CNC bracket, but I haven't heard of any quality issues and this was simply a production decision based on demand.
3) Installation seems to be the simplest. Haven't heard about as much false knock as Vortech/paxton because it isn't such a tight install, and I am not a fan of the extended balancer design of Procharger's kits (maybe just he HO version). Cost for the ESS G3X, which can be shipped with injectors and the BAP will be less than $8k. Factor $850-$1k for tuning and another $1k for install (unless you do it yourself) and you are boosted and loving life for less than $10k all in.
Thanks! Great response. I have installed the procharger kit in my '18 10R80 with the procharger tune low boost about 6 psi. It made 525 rwhp, but the drivability was simply perfect. I then went to PBD did the upgrades for lots more power but the drivability was worse. Made in the 600s somewhere, but my days of high HP at the expense of drive enjoyment are over.
My performanc driving is road race now, not DS. So, max power is lower on the list compared to daily driving aggressively.
How is you part throttle response and drivability? The procharger was easy install, I am assuming the ESS is of the similar type?

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Thanks! Great response. I have installed the procharger kit in my '18 10R80 with the procharger tune low boost about 6 psi. It made 525 rwhp, but the drivability was simply perfect. I then went to PBD did the upgrades for lots more power but the drivability was worse. Made in the 600s somewhere, but my days of high HP at the expense of drive enjoyment are over.
My performanc driving is road race now, not DS. So, max power is lower on the list compared to daily driving aggressively.
How is you part throttle response and drivability? The procharger was easy install, I am assuming the ESS is of the similar type?
I am somewhere in the high 700 to low 800 HP range and can say my car drives like it’s stock until I go into boost. Daily drivability is excellent. The ESS kit with Lund tune has been great for me. I hear the same drivability reports from those who are tuned by Wengerd with ESS kits.

Sponsored

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Well, there is your problem ^ with your last tuner. The ESS install looks to be a one-day weekend job if you start in the morning. Honestly, lots of the time will be on bumper removal/replacement. Keeping the stock throttle body leads itself to amazing drivability. I'd go with Lund. Put the 125mm (biggest) pulley on it and you can live on the road course all day long.

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Well, there is your problem ^ with your last tuner. The ESS install looks to be a one-day weekend job if you start in the morning. Honestly, lots of the time will be on bumper removal/replacement. Keeping the stock throttle body leads itself to amazing drivability. I'd go with Lund. Put the 125mm (biggest) pulley on it and you can live on the road course all day long.
Stock non-Shelby/Mach 1's have enough trouble staying cool at the road course. Adding 200-250whp seems like it would require a good bit more support to run out there consistently.

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Stock non-Shelby/Mach 1's have enough trouble staying cool at the road course. Adding 200-250whp seems like it would require a good bit more support to run out there consistently.
With the good IAT performance of the ESS kits, I would imagine that the upgraded G4 intercooler, paired with the typical cooling mods N/A cars require would lead to very good results.

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
With the good IAT performance of the ESS kits, I would imagine that the upgraded G4 intercooler, paired with the typical cooling mods N/A cars require would lead to very good results.
Its not just the engine, although you’d definitely need to upgrade oil cooling. You definitely need a vented hood, diff and trans coolers as well if you’re going to run any decent length sessions. The added power will stress everything to the limit.

FI would be the last thing I want for a track S550 unless I had a cooling setup on par with the GT500.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the comments!! I kinda misspoke in the original post. What I meant was aggressive driving and once and a while at a place like Gingerman or something. I agree about the cooling. The M1 I owned a couple of years ago had a rear diff cooler. Not so with the Bullitt. However the Bullitt has a gauge to tell temps so at least I can meter my driving and not get too goofy :)

Sponsored

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks for all the comments!! I kinda misspoke in the original post. What I meant was aggressive driving and once and a while at a place like Gingerman or something. I agree about the cooling. The M1 I owned a couple of years ago had a rear diff cooler. Not so with the Bullitt. However the Bullitt has a gauge to tell temps so at least I can meter my driving and not get too goofy :)
Like I said, I wouldn't be comfortable taking an FI car to a trackday especially with stock cooling and longblock. But maybe I'm wrong, would have to ask the track rats.

Cajunrice

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have been running the ESS kit for over 4 years and 30k miles. It was tuned at PBD by Rob when he was still there. It's my daily and I have not had any issues. Install is easy and can be easily completed in a weekend with standard tools.

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
I love my ESS kit. So easy to install. Didn't even jack up the car. Took the front bumper off and installed it. Straight forward. Everything fits good. Trimming the plastic piece on the head cover is simple if you have a Dremel or can use a smaller grinder to shave it down. The belt routing is better with tiny hands but it's very doable. Makes great power.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I have been running the ESS kit for over 4 years and 30k miles. It was tuned at PBD by Rob when he was still there. It's my daily and I have not had any issues. Install is easy and can be easily completed in a weekend with standard tools.

Thanks for responding. If you don't mind sharing, what components did you use off the ESS website? Looks great by the way.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I love my ESS kit. So easy to install. Didn't even jack up the car. Took the front bumper off and installed it. Straight forward. Everything fits good. Trimming the plastic piece on the head cover is simple if you have a Dremel or can use a smaller grinder to shave it down. The belt routing is better with tiny hands but it's very doable. Makes great power.
Hi, Thanks for responding. Looks even easier than the Procharger I put on my '18 which was pretty easy. What kit and or kit components did you use? Drivability? HP/TQ. Thanks a bunch.
Sponsored