Sponsored

Completely Turning Off Traction Control?

Jgro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Shelby GT500
I found an out-of-the way area to toy around with what this sort of power feels like without nanny systems keeping me and everyone else alive. It doesn't seem any combo of driving modes truly bypasses all of the traction controls and yaw controls. Which puts a damper if I want to go practice donuts and figure 8s. :)

I've found instructions on unplugging a wire behind the airbox in one of the GT350 forums but that seemed to come with caution (at least one report of other ill effects). Is that the only way and does it work in the 500?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jgro

Jgro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I found an out-of-the way area to toy around with what this sort of power feels like without nanny systems keeping me and everyone else alive. It doesn't seem any combo of driving modes truly bypasses all of the traction controls and yaw controls. Which puts a damper if I want to go practice donuts and figure 8s. :)

I've found instructions on unplugging a wire behind the airbox in one of the GT350 forums but that seemed to come with caution (at least one report of other ill effects). Is that the only way and does it work in the 500?

Thanks!
Sooo.. what I'm hearing from everyone is...

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Thanks!
It has be talked about on this forum in like 15 different threads, not in GT500 context though (maybe owners are afraid to ;-) ).

I've been driving with it pulled since April. From my discussion last week with an engineer from FoMoCo (who got Service Advancetrac message), pulling the plug disables the ABS. I certainly don't think so having nailed brakes plenty of times hard enough to activate it. It might be disabling an ABS mode of some sort. If you just want to toy around, try it.

Also - does holding traction control button for 7 second work on GT500 ?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats to the OP on wanting to be a future "I crashed my mustang" YouTube superstar.

Peter733

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
It has be talked about on this forum in like 15 different threads, not in GT500 context though (maybe owners are afraid to ;-) ).

I've been driving with it pulled since April. From my discussion last week with an engineer from FoMoCo (who got Service Advancetrac message), pulling the plug disables the ABS. I certainly don't think so having nailed brakes plenty of times hard enough to activate it. It might be disabling an ABS mode of some sort. If you just want to toy around, try it.

Also - does holding traction control button for 7 second work on GT500 ?
It does work, I was able to donuts for as long I wanted. You need to hold it up until it stability control is off

Sponsored

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
Congrats to the OP on wanting to be a future "I crashed my mustang" YouTube superstar.
Oh come now....If he's truly found a safe area with permissions and all that who tf cares? I mean afterall, it is his car that he paid for. If he's not risking harming anyone and has taken into consideration risks why rag on him?

OP
OP
Jgro

Jgro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
It does work, I was able to donuts for as long I wanted. You need to hold it up until it stability control is off
Awesome! I may very well have not held it long enough!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Usually this stuff lives in your manual. How to turn off Traction Control and AdvanceTrac on the GTs is in the manual, and its pretty easy. No need to pull the dyno plug.

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
Oh come now....If he's truly found a safe area with permissions and all that who tf cares? I mean afterall, it is his car that he paid for. If he's not risking harming anyone and has taken into consideration risks why rag on him?
Completely agree; his car, his actions, and as long as he isn’t hurting anyone then it’s his show.
and yeah, nod nod wink wink, these cars are amazingly wicked sans nannies

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
Completely agree; his car, his actions, and as long as he isn’t hurting anyone then it’s his show.
and yeah, nod nod wink wink, these cars are amazingly wicked sans nannies
Agree 100% nod nod, wink wink. LOL

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
From testing on a track, holding the button until it says advance track off only disables it below about 35 MPH. Above that the nannies will kick in. The 2 ways I know how to get rid of them is to pull the airbox plug, you will lose track mode and/or unplug an ABS wheel sensor.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
From testing on a track, holding the button until it says advance track off only disables it below about 35 MPH. Above that the nannies will kick in. The 2 ways I know how to get rid of them is to pull the airbox plug, you will lose track mode and/or unplug an ABS wheel sensor.
That's not accurate on my 16 GT, hold it for 6 sec and its off until the car restarts. I've got hours on track and just spent a week competing in SCCA nationals at speeds from 35-70. Trust me it wasn't on above 35, I can tell. One of my runs I forgot to turn it off and it was very noticeable.

... but we're talking GT500 anyway.

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
At the power level the car is at and the average person buying one I would be surprised if Ford left any way to turn things off completely. Liability and stuff.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
on my 16 GT, hold it for 6 sec and its off until the car restarts.
On mine it kicks in, 2017. Ford has many operating systems or software versions. Maybe I got unlucky in the draw.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
On mine it kicks in, 2017. Ford has many operating systems or software versions. Maybe I got unlucky in the draw.
Do you get a dash message? Why do you think its turned on above 35? I'm honestly curious.
Sponsored