Cold Weather Acquisition Question

TDG77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Future 2017-2018 Shelby GT350 owner
I'm slated to pick up a GT350 tomorrow and driving my trade-in up to do so. Temperatures are slated to be hovering around freezing - or slightly below - where I'm picking the car up and closer to 40F here at home, which entails about 125 miles of straight interstate driving on dry roads. The GT350 in question still has the PSS tires on them, with about 5K miles.

I've read numerous posts on this forum and others about the dangers of driving on these tires below 45F, and opinions seem to be anywhere from "It's fine" to "Doing so will make you end up in a fiery heap of death."

The dilemma for me is that NOT picking it up tomorrow will seriously delay my acquisition of the car (which is at a dealership) due to numerous work and family obligations over the next month or two. For the purposes of getting the car deal closed and getting it into my garage, is the interstate driving in dry conditions an OK risk to take here? I've thought about having the dealership bring the car inside for today, if they haven't already. Last I heard, it was being kept in their detail garage. But, I'm not sure this would help anything.
Sponsored

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
You have nothing to worry about. I've driven mine in 25F weather and didn't have an issue. Just don't romp on the car and drive it crazy. Drive like a normal, sane human and you won't have a single issue. The thing with cold weather is that it makes the rubber in the tires very hard so grip levels are down, but it's not like you'll be driving on ice. It's still better grip than you'd usually get in the rain. Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are a different story on the R's. Those feel like driving on ice. The MPSS on the non-r cars handle cold weather just fine.

Your engine oil might not get fully up to 190F either so don't go redlining all the time on the way home. It's hella tempting though and you won't kill your car if you do it once or twice. People act like these cars are made of glass. Ford tested these cars in below freezing temps and insane desert heat. They can handle it! No worries!

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I ditto what raiderjatt said:

I drive an hour to go to work and it may take a full hour during the 20-40 degree weather to get to 190*. You can't redline to 8250 until 191*, I haven't tested this theory obviously but the manual states it cannot be done. As far as tires, I have NT05 G2 which are to my knowledge a lower grip level than PSS. However, I may disagree as it appears to handle quite well although TCS lights do pop up but no tires spun issues during the cold either. Enjoy the car man, it's a wonderful car to own whether it's used or new. Preferably used so in some way you're winning hopefully on the purchase. Flip the exhaust note onto sport and zen out to the engine.

if you're curious, I've taken it to 120 several times after the car has warmed up on NT05 G2 and have had zero issues from 3rd or 4th gear pulls straight to WOT in 20-40* degree weather.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Wisconsin here. I drive my car as long as I can and sometimes it gets a lil' chillay before I store the car. If I'm cruising on the freeway at 2100 RPM in say low 40's, I'll never make it passed 165 or so. Just use common sense. You'll be fine. I've taken my car up into the mid RPM range before at that temp, like 5500 or so. I'm not worried about it. But yes, I believe 190 is the recommended temp before you redline the engine. And even if you did at like 175 - 180, again, you're probably going to be just fine. It's not like you're doing it all the time and grossly abusing the engine.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
As others have said you'll be fine.

I'm in the Seattle area so fairly mild winters but still cover the oil cooler opening with racer's tape when temps are below ~45* which helps with oil temps.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
As others have said you'll be fine.

I'm in the Seattle area so fairly mild winters but still cover the oil cooler opening with racer's tape when temps are below ~45* which helps with oil temps.
I'd love to see a picture of that haha

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof
I'm slated to pick up a GT350 tomorrow and driving my trade-in up to do so. Temperatures are slated to be hovering around freezing - or slightly below - where I'm picking the car up and closer to 40F here at home, which entails about 125 miles of straight interstate driving on dry roads. The GT350 in question still has the PSS tires on them, with about 5K miles.

I've read numerous posts on this forum and others about the dangers of driving on these tires below 45F, and opinions seem to be anywhere from "It's fine" to "Doing so will make you end up in a fiery heap of death."

The dilemma for me is that NOT picking it up tomorrow will seriously delay my acquisition of the car (which is at a dealership) due to numerous work and family obligations over the next month or two. For the purposes of getting the car deal closed and getting it into my garage, is the interstate driving in dry conditions an OK risk to take here? I've thought about having the dealership bring the car inside for today, if they haven't already. Last I heard, it was being kept in their detail garage. But, I'm not sure this would help anything.

Nothing to worry about. We picked up our GT350R in December, 28 degrees. Even with the cup 2's it's very doable.

We've been caught in the snow with the cup 2's as well. The built in nannies are pretty good and can get you most places as long as you are aware of the changing conditions.

OP
OP

TDG77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Future 2017-2018 Shelby GT350 owner
I'm feeling a bit better about this now, with the input so far. The dealership sent me pics and has it planted on their showroom floor, so hopefully that helps when it's time to officially hit the road.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I picked mine up off the showroom floor in February when it was like 10 degrees. The MPSS will be fine unless you go WOT.

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
You can set the drive mode to rain. That will help as well. You can also block the oil cooler inlet in the bumper.

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47
Good luck with the pick up.. post some pics.:camera:

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
I'm feeling a bit better about this now, with the input so far. The dealership sent me pics and has it planted on their showroom floor, so hopefully that helps when it's time to officially hit the road.
To me the biggest issue is tire temperature (which is less of an issue with the PSSs than with the Cup 2s). Drive right off the showroom floor and keep driving. Your speed on the highway will keep your tires acceptably warm and the showroom temperature will ensure that the tires are plenty warm at the start.. I do something similar here in the mid-atlantic for my first track events of the season. I keep the garage heated and leave with the tires warm. I then drive straight through to the Southeast stopping only for gas and pee. And I do this with my track tires which are more sensitive to cold than the PSSs.

<TED>
Sponsored