Sponsored

is it ok to drive in cold weather...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was driving mine a lot when it was still warm - teens and twenties above zero. The super sports are summer tires but they do surprisingly well when the temperature is in the twenties.

I have been avoiding driving in extreme cold though. The oil just doesn't get very warm.
Sponsored

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
I picked mine up outside of Detroit last week and drove back to DC. Outside temp didn't break above freezing until Maryland. As others have said, just know that in these temps, you're rolling on something closer to the traction of a marble than a grippy tire.

Tonight driving home from work, we were in a lovely snow shower. I switch the Nanny Mode over to "Weather" just as an added precaution.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
DSCF0748.jpg
Make sure you have the dealer check the tire pressure before you leave!!
When I picked mine up last Friday, it had 42PSI in all tires and slid around like crazy on the cold pavement. Dropped them down to 32 PSI and it drove much better.

Don't try to drive through any snow of any kind . . . I pulled mine out of the garage last night, about 50 feet in 3 inches of snow.
It took me 20 minutes to get it back in the garage, that's with my wife pushing.
No traction at all in the snow.
I finally got car #77 picked up on the weekend and before I did any spirited driving I checked the tire pressure and after 5 1/2 months of sitting at Flat Rock 3 tires were at 35 PSI and 1 tire was at 36 PSI so I then dropped the one tire down to 35 PSI to match the others.

Pretty good tire pressure since being assembled and sitting since last July!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My GT350 only had 28.4 miles on the car when it arrived into Hilton Head but also only had 4 miles of fuel left in the tank so I went directly to BP for fuel from the dealership. As you can imagine after sitting the better part of 6 months the car was very dirty after all of that time.

Obviously the battery was run down so I put a battery tender on it and it took quite some time to get up to a full charge. It took 8 hours of detailing to clean up the car based on it sitting for so long but very happy to have #77 home.

Interesting to note that car #77 was built on July 21st with the owners manual not being produced until October 2015 after which time was then put in the glove compartment. Also a few pieces of paper were crumbled up on the passenger floor with some interesting notes on them from Flat Rock.

I can't wait until #76 meets #77 as they are in two different locations right now but suggest that Boss #76 will enjoy the company of GT350 #77 and will be best friends right from the start.

Once they are home together I will post some pictures of both #76 and #77 Black cars admiring each other and I am sure that PP0001 and PP0002 will both be welcoming as well. Should be a fun time!:)

:cheers:
DSCF0765.jpg

OP
OP

actionjack99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ferrari 308 QV, 2016 GT350
I grew up in silver spring, md. What part of dc are you? I can tel. You from experience, dc becomes paralyzed with any precip.

Action

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
i have driven my m3's in cold weather with pilot sport 2's. don't know if it's the same tire.

action
The PSS is the updated PS2 - It's almost the same tire - in fact I have Pilot Sport 2's (rear) and Michelin PSS (front) mixed on my 911 right now (PSS were out of stock and I got a flat) - they run great together. It will have similar characteristics - slightly better grip with the PSS.

Sponsored

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
I grew up in silver spring, md. What part of dc are you? I can tel. You from experience, dc becomes paralyzed with any precip.

Action
I'm in Alexandria. Been here through Snowmageddon and the big storm back in '06 (I think). And you're right...this place freaks out when snow MIGHT happen, let alone when it actually does happen. :frusty:

OP
OP

actionjack99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ferrari 308 QV, 2016 GT350
car is home safe and sound. just took it easy and had no issues. it was cold and there was some precip on the road near the dealer but once i cleared that it was easy peasy.

action

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Looks nasty! So much better without the OTT stripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it did fine. The Michelin PSS is a lot better in the cold than the Pirelli P-Zero.
Sponsored