'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

Bullit69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manny
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Thank you so much for the help Biggsy. Really Iā€™m willing to spend big money.
Iā€™ve gone down the rabbit hole, Iā€™ve looked at Ohlines, Fortune Auto just so many choices. It drives me nuts. If someone could other me just what I want, I want it to be comfortable and handle great.
Then the complexity of setting up the coil oversā€¦. And convenience. Some have the dial readily available, others have to be removed to access the rebound dampener.
I looked at KW, they have several optionsā€¦.
I was surprised other well seasoned members have had issues setting up their coil overs. Iā€™ve read this whole threadā€¦ šŸ˜‚ a few times.
I donā€™t mind dropping the coin, fixing to go on vacation either Colorado or the Pacific Coast Highway, my new top should be installed this week.
If not Iā€™ll just buy some shocks/ struts for now.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you so much for the help Biggsy. Really Iā€™m willing to spend big money.
Iā€™ve gone down the rabbit hole, Iā€™ve looked at Ohlines, Fortune Auto just so many choices. It drives me nuts. If someone could other me just what I want, I want it to be comfortable and handle great.
Then the complexity of setting up the coil oversā€¦. And convenience. Some have the dial readily available, others have to be removed to access the rebound dampener.
I looked at KW, they have several optionsā€¦.
I was surprised other well seasoned members have had issues setting up their coil overs. Iā€™ve read this whole threadā€¦ šŸ˜‚ a few times.
I donā€™t mind dropping the coin, fixing to go on vacation either Colorado or the Pacific Coast Highway, my new top should be installed this week.
If not Iā€™ll just buy some shocks/ struts for now.
Is this a daily driver as well? If so I suggest the Steeda setup (look in my signature). I talked to them about what would be best for a comfort ride and for some track use and this is what they told me works and it does wonders.

Just get adjustable shocks and struts (I went non-adjust because I want to set and forget).

or spend the really big coin and go with a $7k external chamber setup like a GT4 car. šŸ‘ŒšŸ«¶

Edit: I am a sucker for comfort after my youth of building a track 1995 Honda Accord EX coupe running BC racing coiloversā€¦not a fan of the stiffness on streets daily driving šŸ«£

Edit 2: The steeda setup we use is GREAT for both 17x9.5 (super plush on street, meh on course), and 19x11 square (tiny bounce on street only in bad areas, REALLY smexy on the course).

Edit 3: If you really need to know the absolute BEST on something, may I suggest talking to @NightmareMoon. Has been helping me along my journey (and hopefully will continue to!)

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ohlines, Fortune Auto just so many choices. It drives me nuts. If someone could other me just what I want, I want it to be comfortable and handle great
Ohlins. I own fortune auto. Not near good enough. The ohlins is a solid home run. I got a chance to drive @Bluemustang car. Excellent kit!

Accept no pretenders.

I've run several Steeda setups as well. Sport progressive springs are too low. Rear dual rate springs are probably not best way forward. Proactive arent damped enough in rebound. Proaction adjust are pretty good - best of what they have.

But Bilstein take the cake in the best balance of perf for price but you need to not stray wildly from stock spring rates.

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I own my Ohlins kit for 2 years now and even though is setup very far from perfect (no corner balance, no added rake) the car performs great with it in any situation when I give rides on the street I got tons of compliments on how good the car rides. And when on track you get that extra composure you need. Last time on track the Ohlins combined with the A052 tires give a 1.34G of lateral grip. Overall I'm only scratching the surface of what Ohlins can do but I'm extremely happy with that upgrade.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I own my Ohlins kit for 2 years now and even though is setup very far from perfect (no corner balance, no added rake) the car performs great with it in any situation when I give rides on the street I got tons of compliments on how good the car rides. And when on track you get that extra composure you need. Last time on track the Ohlins combined with the A052 tires give a 1.34G of lateral grip. Overall I'm only scratching the surface of what Ohlins can do but I'm extremely happy with that upgrade.
Why would you want to add rake?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you want to add rake?
When your tires are square the rake is positive the rear sits lower it's just not very Mustang like.

IMG_5595.jpeg

So would be good to have some rake dialed in.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
When your tires are square the rake is positive the rear sits lower it's just not very Mustang like.

IMG_5595.jpeg

So would be good to have some rake dialed in.
I think he is saying why would you want it. I think there are handling benefits to more rake. If you have a front splitter where the angle isnā€™t adjustable you can increase rake for downforce. Also it changes over/understeer

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My point was more, the rears of these cars sit way too high stock. I thought you were saying the ohlins kit made it worse. But it sounds like it's giving the stance that is exactly what the car needs.

I know I've tweaked mine and the front wheel gap is more than the front, but also it allows for so much more in the corners from these cars.so maybe we are talking the same thing?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Lol I was loud and wrong. My apologies

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My point was more, the rears of these cars sit way too high stock. I thought you were saying the ohlins kit made it worse. But it sounds like it's giving the stance that is exactly what the car needs.

I know I've tweaked mine and the front wheel gap is more than the front, but also it allows for so much more in the corners from these cars.so maybe we are talking the same thing?
The ohlins kit gives 1" drop all around which is fine when you have staggered tires as you have a rake because rears higher than the fronts so you have around 0.5" difference front to rear. However when your tires are same height you have the rear sitting on the same level as the front effectively producing 0 rake angle. Or in my case the rear sits a bit lower than front. That is obviously not ideal for handling purposes the Mustang loves rake it helps with the McPherson front suspension but as Biggsy pointed out is more beneficial when you have aero components on the car which mine don't have. Ether way some small rake is needed to help with suspension movement and under/oversteer. I'm not sure what exactly I need as rake on the car as well as balance as I think my suspension is doing it's job but my point was there are so much incremental changes you can do with Ohlins or any 1 way height adjustable coilover that you need to know a bit more regarding suspension geometry before going deep on setup.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The ohlins kit gives 1" drop all around which is fine when you have staggered tires as you have a rake because rears higher than the fronts so you have around 0.5" difference front to rear. However when your tires are same height you have the rear sitting on the same level as the front effectively producing 0 rake angle. Or in my case the rear sits a bit lower than front. That is obviously not ideal for handling purposes the Mustang loves rake it helps with the McPherson front suspension but as Biggsy pointed out is more beneficial when you have aero components on the car which mine don't have. Ether way some small rake is needed to help with suspension movement and under/oversteer. I'm not sure what exactly I need as rake on the car as well as balance as I think my suspension is doing it's job but my point was there are so much incremental changes you can do with Ohlins or any 1 way height adjustable coilover that you need to know a bit more regarding suspension geometry before going deep on setup.
Lotta things going on there...what tires did you have, and did you go to that you gained a full inch on the front?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I think he is saying why would you want it. I think there are handling benefits to more rake. If you have a front splitter where the angle isnā€™t adjustable you can increase rake for downforce. Also it changes over/understeer
Have you posted a photo of your car with the new coil overs??? I haven't checked TMO in a while, probably should look there.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Have you posted a photo of your car with the new coil overs??? I haven't checked TMO in a while, probably should look there.
Not yet. Still in the install process. I just know that on 18ā€ wheels, the rule of thumb has been 24ā€ from bottom of the wheel to fender as the starting point and then corner balance (if you want) from there. That applies to all corners. Maybe 24.25ā€ in the rear for more rake. Hoping to have everything wrapped up this weekend.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not yet. Still in the install process. I just know that on 18ā€ wheels, the rule of thumb has been 24ā€ from bottom of the wheel to fender as the starting point and then corner balance (if you want) from there. That applies to all corners. Maybe 24.25ā€ in the rear for more rake. Hoping to have everything wrapped up this weekend.
My car, not one centercap to fender is exactly the same. But my car is corner balanced. Basically right at 50.1 / 49.9.

I wouldn't mess with ride height until I had my car corner balanced personally.
Sponsored