S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
If the rear ride height was uneven before, its almost certainly the ‘clock the bushings’ step that was skipped. That step gets everything nice and cozy and w/o it the car won sit right on new springs.

i think the spring+spacer isdea isn’t bad.

don’t underestimate the ahock’s contribution to how the body squats under accel. Better shocks will help there too, but your right to look to the spring first.
I was meticulous about installing the springs, turns out one of my springs is 1/4" longer than the other. Measured them last night. That would explain the difference in height. Thinking about calling Steeda and seeing if I can swap out for a pair of their minimal drop springs which are .5" on all 4 corners. For whatever reason, a slight drop amounts to more than advertised on my car so I have learned I need to be careful.

Here is the 1.125" drop in front and the .5" drop in the rear and how the car sits.
front_drop.jpg
rear_drop.jpg
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If so, most likely Steeda sent you the wrong spring. Seems unlikely a manufacturing defect could cause that.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If so, most likely Steeda sent you the wrong spring. Seems unlikely a manufacturing defect could cause that.
I think that would point to a labelling error at manufacture.

Norm

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I was meticulous about installing the springs, turns out one of my springs is 1/4" longer than the other. Measured them last night. That would explain the difference in height. Thinking about calling Steeda and seeing if I can swap out for a pair of their minimal drop springs which are .5" on all 4 corners. For whatever reason, a slight drop amounts to more than advertised on my car so I have learned I need to be careful.

Here is the 1.125" drop in front and the .5" drop in the rear and how the car sits.
Don't feel offended by you are spending waaaay too much time trying to fix suspension problems you don't have while you're missing on just about most important and easiest piece that contributes to car handling - you're running some absolute junk tires (looking at your pics). You can spend million dollars and three years putting suspension parts on your car and it'll never handle well if you run lousy tires. Seriously.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Don't feel offended by you are spending waaaay too much time trying to fix suspension problems you don't have while you're missing on just about most important and easiest piece that contributes to car handling - you're running some absolute junk tires (looking at your pics). You can spend million dollars and three years putting suspension parts on your car and it'll never handle well if you run lousy tires. Seriously.
Yep, you're right. I got those tires for next to nothing when I ordered the wheels so it allowed me to get the car setup with all the suspension mods and make sure everything was on par before replacing them with something else. All in all, the difficulty getting the car aligned and the front steering and rear squat after changing the rear springs hasn't had anything to do with the tires. They are loud tires on the road that is for sure. They will be replaced but first things first, I have to get the alignment dialed in. Didn't expect to have to get into everything I did when I started this. About to have a 3rd set of springs...$800.00 in springs alone.

These sound like they will address the steering responsiveness thanks to the op.
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...-w-Extended-Ball-Joint-2015-2020_p_14088.html

Sponsored

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Spoke with John over at Steeda today and explained everything I have done to the car and what I am feeling and he took a look at the current drop on my car in these pictures and recommended to go with the minimal drop springs and not order the roll center / bump steer correction kit since bringing the car back up a bit in the front may not need it. I also asked him about the Koni STR.T struts and shocks and he stated they have done a lot of testing with those and they most definitely are not a problem for what I am doing. So I think I have a plan, install the new springs, get an alignment dialed in and test her out and if the steering still feels worse than it did from factory then I will go with correction kit.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
much under 1" drop the correct kit is not needed if also counter-productive. At least if after the springs you don't like the damping, you'll be well practiced in ripping/replacing suspension parts. Silver linings in everything.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
much under 1" drop the correct kit is not needed if also counter-productive. At least if after the springs you don't like the damping, you'll be well practiced in ripping/replacing suspension parts. Silver linings in everything.
Indeed. Trial by fire.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Anyone know how much lower the PP1 Mustang is compared to the GT from factory? It sits lower so I want to be able to compensate for the spring drop advertised rate.

Sponsored
OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
PP1 and base are the same ride height.
Seems to be a lot of variance coming out of the Ford factory, as much as a .5"

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Fronts installed today, both done within 1 hour, I am getting pretty good at this. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Very happy with the results.
Steeda-min-drop.jpg

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
+1 for the Steeda minimal drop springs. They are everything I didn't know I was looking for until I found them.
mindrop-b.jpg
Sponsored