Coilovers - Steeda vs. X

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Thinking about just sucking it up and going with coil overs. Any one have experience with the Steeda's? So far I really like their products but would like to hear how they stack up with the others in that price range such as B.C. and Pedders. Car will be used for street in the mountains so a lot of hairpin turns.
Sponsored

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
If you're going to get coilovers, be prepared to spend appropriately for quality (part quality, ride quality and handling).

Most people looking to lower their car for street use should stick to well-matched lowering springs and dampers.
Interesting, I have Koni STR.T all the way around and Steeda springs in the front, I did put BMR in the rear for the .5" drop, the steeda's were too low. I was also thinking about just buying their minimal drop rate springs and calling it a day. I also have the following already = Steeds IRS alignment kit, subframe support bushings and IRS subframe braces. Maximum motorsports caster/camber plates. The newest UPR camber adjustable arms (much thicker center shaft). I still need sway bar end links as the factory ones are too long for a lowered car. So my question is, should I just keep going with what I have or would I be better off replacing everything with a coil over set?

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
What is wrong with what you have?
So far it seems to be feel pretty decent but it also seems like I need to keep adding things to the suspension to get everything just right in the alignment phase. Adjustable toe links and sway bar end links are up next to get it right. Trying to get the following:

Camber Front = -1.5
Camber Rear = -1.25 to -1.5
Caster = 7.0
Toe 0.00 Front / 0.10 rear each side

Having difficulties getting that with what I have, I was thinking less of a drop (adjustable) would make that much easier in the long run. Balance out the ride height with proper street alignment. I may be way off in my thinking here too, I am a complete newb on the S550.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So far it seems to be feel pretty decent but it also seems like I need to keep adding things to the suspension to get everything just right in the alignment phase. Adjustable toe links and sway bar end links are up next to get it right. Trying to get the following:

Camber Front = -1.5
Camber Rear = -1.25 to -1.5
Caster = 7.0
Toe 0.00 Front / 0.10 rear each side

Having difficulties getting that with what I have, I was thinking less of a drop (adjustable) would make that much easier in the long run. Balance out the ride height with proper street alignment. I may be way off in my thinking here too, I am a complete newb on the S550.
So what do you consider in your car's handling or ride quality to be deficient and needs fixing? Does it do anything you think it shouldn't? Or not do something as well as you think it should? Be as specific as you can.

Let's fix a problem (if there is one) rather than just throw parts and money at it because we can't think of anything better to do. No flame intended, I just can't sugar-coat this advice.

Norm

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
So what do you consider in your car's handling or ride quality to be deficient and needs fixing? Does it do anything you think it shouldn't? Or not do something as well as you think it should? Be as specific as you can.

Let's fix a problem (if there is one) rather than just throw parts and money at it because we can't think of anything better to do. No flame intended, I just can't sugar-coat this advice.

Norm
Not taken that way at all in fact it's very much appreciated. It feels like there is still too much squat under acceleration in the rear end. When I had the Steeda Ultra light springs in the back it was much better but the rear end was too low and sat unevenly, it was very noticable. The car is cornering pretty well but feels a little out of whack up front, the steer in should be more responsive instead of loose feeling, I think that might be the sway bar end links??? Not sure, but after doing all the work they seemed way too long once the other components were installed.

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
What are your current alignment settings?

You should be able to achieve the alignment settings you want since you have camber plates. Toe is adjustable from the factory and so is rear camber. I would probably recommend - 2 camber up front if you are taking corners more spiritely than the average grocery getter.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah if you already have plates you need a better alignment tech not additional parts. Endlinks will do nothing for the alignment they just connect the swaybar to the other things. They’re purpose is very simple.

as for the Steeda coilovers, I’ve seen pics of damages ones which made me think the design isn’t super durable. Finding a better spring (stiff but not too low) seems more the issue. GT350R springs maybe.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
What are your current alignment settings?

You should be able to achieve the alignment settings you want since you have camber plates. Toe is adjustable from the factory and so is rear camber. I would probably recommend - 2 camber up front if you are taking corners more spiritely than the average grocery getter.
I will have the alignment sheet this week, went to the shop on Friday and worked with the guy for 2 hours after they closed on the rear and just got the front in the green. Took longer because we relaxed all of the bushings before we started. We are going to work on the front and fine tuning it one evening this week and I will post the specs. Because I am blessed to live rural up here in the mountains, the roads are like a public track. After we worked on the car Friday I did some light testing and the car did alright handling, could be better. That was, depending on the curves, anywhere from 40 to 85 mph with some hard braking.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Yeah if you already have plates you need a better alignment tech not additional parts. Endlinks will do nothing for the alignment they just connect the swaybar to the other things. They’re purpose is very simple.

as for the Steeda coilovers, I’ve seen pics of damages ones which made me think the design isn’t super durable. Finding a better spring (stiff but not too low) seems more the issue. GT350R springs maybe.
Are the GT350R springs linear? I have no doubt they have a higher spring rate than 200 in the front and the 740 I am running in the rears now. When I had the Steeda Ultra Light springs in the rear the power was getting to the road quicker than with the BMR performance I have in there now, it was noticable.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the sway bar end links determine how the car would feel during hard cornering and how the sway bar interacts with the lateral movement of the suspension or am I putting too much emphasis on the effects of the sway bar overall? -->Newb trying to learn as I go<--

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
In the working range they're linear. 240 lb front, ~900 lb rear. Better shocks and struts would be required.
If he's going to do that, just get BMR handling springs/FP shocks & struts and call it a day. Also, when I think coilovers Steeda isn't the first one that comes to mind. I agree - get better springs and dampers which should likely be good enough or if going coilovers seek out a better quality unit (which means more $$).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have Koni STR.T all the way around
there's your first "problem". You need a better class of damper and if you're gonna be picky about getting them "just so" one with adjustable rebound. If you want coil overs you're looking at Fortune Auto (insist on correct spring rates) or Ohlins or similar in the >$3000 price point.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The highest rear spring rates they offer are about the same as the non-pp springs. Nothing in the 900-1200 lb/in range.
it's a divorced rear so you can run any spring you want. It's the valving that has to match the rate though.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the sway bar end links determine how the car would feel during hard cornering and how the sway bar interacts with the lateral movement of the suspension or am I putting too much emphasis on the effects of the sway bar overall? -->Newb trying to learn as I go<--
That’s the swaybar itself. The endlink is just a peice of steed that connects two points and makes packaging the swaybar into the and allowing it to picot suspension easier. Aftermarket endlins really don’t make any sort of impact on handling. There are some caveats and some situations to get them, but nothing like what you’re describing.

its all in the name. End link. Its a link that goes on the end of a bar. Its as boring as a mount.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
That’s the swaybar itself. The endlink is just a peice of steed that connects two points and makes packaging the swaybar into the and allowing it to picot suspension easier. Aftermarket endlins really don’t make any sort of impact on handling. There are some caveats and some situations to get them, but nothing like what you’re describing.

its all in the name. End link. Its a link that goes on the end of a bar. Its as boring as a mount.
Ah, ok. Good to know.
Sponsored