Sponsored

Clutch went out. Ford not covering it?

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Bummer. This would be an annoying situation to be in. I guess I would look at your relationship with the dealer and the relationship you have with your wallet. If it isn't a financial strain, and you use that dealer often; take the hit. If you could care less about using that dealer in the future, and/or the principal of the matter annoys you; push on.
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I have abused the shit out of clutches in the past, and they all lasted way more than 7k miles- when they did let go they were not as bad as the op's clutch which looks like the friction material just fell off. I also don't see any hint of the hot spots which as mustang guy pointed out is a sign of abuse and EVERY single time I did a replacement, I saw on mine.
I feel for you man - I and anyone who knows a thing about cars can see it wasn't your fault- but yeah a wear and tear Item on a modded car is a bitch to prove to a penny pinching dealer. Unless you have a very good Lawyer and know an expert that is willing to testify that this failure was a material failure, I don't see your claim holding up in court and will cost you more than the new clutch will, let alone the time your car will be down.

Last edited:

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
6 k miles...I don't care how much you abused it at that mileage it shouldn't self destruct like that. And the fact that a tune added too much power is bullshit as we all know. A tune adds like 20 whp, yet they will warranty a new car with roush blower that makes 600 plus hp.
Good luck op, that clutch was defective and I hope you get a new one without being charged

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
What kind of relationship do u have with ur DEALER,Its been modded and a clutch is a wear item,with that being said on my last mustang my dealer repaired mine and wrote customer abuse and will not be repaired again,believe it or not they did the same thing with my brakes,which were metal to metal and the rotors warped to hell with just 11,000 miles on the car.My point is that i had a great relationship with my dealer and they looked out for me.If u dont get ready to buy a clutch,like others said that clutch was defective any real mechanic can see that.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
This is 100% correct! Just pay for a new clutch and move on......Maybe think about an automatic transmission next time? I also agree with purchasing an aftermarket clutch and have it installed at a transmission shop. For what Ford will probably charge for parts and labor I bet you could get a nice Spec or mcloud heavy duty clutch.
Though this looks to be a case of a defective friction disc, clutches are not normally covered under the power-train warranty. They're listed as a wear item, much like brake pads.

Save yourself the headache, and just upgrade to an aftermarket unit.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
And in case someone hasn't told you yet, the clutch is a wear item and isn't normally covered under warranty.

LOL, sorry....couldn't help myself! :headbonk:

ero 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt 5.0
It's a wear item, on a modded car. Bottom line is that they are in no way obligated to fix it under warranty. Your best bet would be to go the nice guy route and try and talk them into it. If you barge in there with your cock out and guns blazing you're just wasting your time and energy... Good luck, and keep us updated.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
6 k miles...I don't care how much you abused it at that mileage it shouldn't self destruct like that. And the fact that a tune added too much power is bullshit as we all know. A tune adds like 20 whp, yet they will warranty a new car with roush blower that makes 600 plus hp.
Good luck op, that clutch was defective and I hope you get a new one without being charged
Nonsense - even if it adds 1 hp, it gives a clear reason to deny warranty. Amount is completely irrelevant. If you're moding the vehicle, be prepared for potential consequences. Simple as that.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
If you barge in there with your cock out and guns blazing...
But that's the American way damn it! Haha but this is truth, if you come at me like this at work you can go kick rocks. I have went to bat for many customers for goodwill repairs for situations like this. Best thing you can do is be calm and understanding. Explain that though the car is modded it is not driven in a manner the explains the failure. And you're willing to be patient and go through the necessary channels to get the component covered by Ford. Or at least hear from the Ford field rep that there is no way the clutch was defective. And it was your fault. With an explanation on how he came to that determination. Which I don't think they will be able to do by the way it looks. Chances are he may not even go there and just tell them to replace it.

Oh and also promise a perfect survey when the repair is done. Most dealerships are right on the cusp of their CSI goals they are one step away giving handies for a perfect survey. Especially new cars under warranty.

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
that's why my car will not see a tune of any sort until the warranty is out

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Well I hope my warranty isn't voided when I put 98 octane in my tank...that's gotta add at least 1 hp.

So I think everyone gets it...some say he's screwed, other's say he needs to see where it leads. How bout we let the OP update us as required as this horse has been kicked back to life and then dead again.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Clutch has always been a wear item and not covered under warranty, regardless of mods. They wouldn't have covered it even if you were stock.
^^^ This. Sorry, OP, but the mods to your car have absolutely nothing to do with this, it is simply a wear item that is NOT covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
Well I hope my warranty isn't voided when I put 98 octane in my tank...that's gotta add at least 1 hp.

So I think everyone gets it...some say he's screwed, other's say he needs to see where it leads. How bout we let the OP update us as required as this horse has been kicked back to life and then dead again.
Thanks for the thread synopsis but maybe people want to continue to have a back and forth about it?

OP
OP

SlateStang92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
what did they quote you for replacement?
95/hr labor rate at 8-9 total hours of work, plus 320 for a clutch and I cannot remember how much for a flywheel.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
Sponsored