Clutch sticking?

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Whenever I’m doing a pull, WOT, 60mph to 100+mph and go to quickly shift around 6k-7k rpm, the car jerks forward as if I just clutch kicked it or no lift shifted. Is the clutch just too hot and sticks? My foots fully coming off the throttle so I’m not sure what might be causing it. Is it normal? A lot of times when I do pulls and eventually come to a stop at a red light, I do smell clutch.

My clutch isn’t slipping. I feel like it’s still in good condition. I’ve done the 60mph in 5th gear and floor it test and it’s not slipping.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Are you stock or tuned? I would feel that lurch forward at high rpm when on e85 due to rev hang. Not so much on pump gas where the timing wasn't as aggressive.

As for as the smell, it's probably your cats your smelling. During hard pulls COT kicks in and they will smell for a bit. I though it was my clutch the first time too.

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Are you stock or tuned? I would feel that lurch forward at high rpm when on e85 due to rev hang. Not so much on pump gas where the timing wasn't as aggressive.

As for as the smell, it's probably your cats your smelling. During hard pulls COT kicks in and they will smell for a bit. I though it was my clutch the first time too.
I’m tuned on pump gas. Interesting thing about the cats smell, i never would have thought of that. It smells like burnt rubber like tires so I thought it was clutch.

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
If ur gonna do a lot of hard pull I would highly recommend upgrading your clutch like to braided steeda , McLeod it will make a world of difference.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
How much power does your car put down at the tires? Do you just do wot pulls in a certain gear or do you drag or roll race? You could have some hot spots on the clutch. I burned mine up at just 6400 miles and 5 full 1/4 mile passes, one of which I smelled clutch when I came back to the pits. At one point, I took off very easy from a stop, heading to the staging lanes and the car was jumpy, like the clutch would grab and release quickly. I also got some slip (could hear it in the car on the last pass), but the mph was still normal @ 116.XX. Here’s what my clutch and flywheel looked like upon removal and inspection.

Power wise, my car was making 469 rwhp and 434 rwtq.

1675622340416.jpeg

1675622378944.jpeg

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I’m tuned on pump gas. Interesting thing about the cats smell, i never would have thought of that. It smells like burnt rubber like tires so I thought it was clutch.
Cats, clutch and tires can be hard to tell apart sometimes.

OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How much power does your car put down at the tires? Do you just do wot pulls in a certain gear or do you drag or roll race? You could have some hot spots on the clutch. I burned mine up at just 6400 miles and 5 full 1/4 mile passes, one of which I smelled clutch when I came back to the pits. At one point, I took off very easy from a stop, heading to the staging lanes and the car was jumpy, like the clutch would grab and release quickly. I also got some slip (could hear it in the car on the last pass), but the mph was still normal @ 116.XX. Here’s what my clutch and flywheel looked like upon removal and inspection.

1675622340416.jpeg

1675622378944.jpeg
I’m only making around 400+ to the wheels. I do WOT on highways 60mph-120mph+, also when the light turns green and I’m bored, I’ll do a pull to the next light lol. Haven’t done any drag racing in the car yet.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

1675622340416.jpeg

1675622378944.jpeg
I still think you just had a defect. Maybe pressure plate wasn't holding the clutch firmly enough? The stock clutch should easily hold up to that power level and 5 drag strip passes. Unless you were slipping the hell out of it or something to keep wheel spin in check.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I still think you just had a defect. Maybe pressure plate wasn't holding the clutch firmly enough? The stock clutch should easily hold up to that power level and 5 drag strip passes. Unless you were slipping the hell out of it or something to keep wheel spin in check.
Yes, I think my problem was caused by my improperly adjusted Hitmaster Clutch Hit Control System.
Sponsored