Clicking sound while turning right

wjs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350; Previous: 2017 GT350, 2016 GT350, 2012 BMW 135i
[/QUOTE]
The

did you have them replace the hub and wheel bearing yet?
I bet that’s the cause. Most of the hub noises I’ve had went away after rotating wheels for a hundred miles, then came back because it places new forces on the hub, but does not fix the issue. There is a nut and washer in the hub that likes to make noise. I think the washer cracks and causes the noise. But that’s speculation since I didn’t see the washer personally.

After Ford replaced my hub, it went away for
Good.
Could you describe the washer a little more? For their next attempt, Ford is going to replace both rear wheels and lug nuts. They will replace the hub nuts that are one time use only. Are they the nuts/washers that you’re referring to? Any info is appreciated!
Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
^^^ I'm also very interested but not inclined to take it apart and look for myself... yet.

Unless it's a safety issue or will cause something else to break, I don't plan on doing anything to eliminate the clicking other than rotating the tires.
Still I'm always watching this thread like a hawk in case any info pops up about the severity of this problem. So far everything seems fine. I've had the wheels and tires off several times, so the clicking has not had an opportunity to come back.

On that note, it almost seems to me to be advantageous, as in the clicking could serve as an early warning that it's time to check the lug torque or rotate the tires :cwl:

Lastly, for visibility, I want to restate that the clicking sound increases exponentially as camber is increased. Just another clue for the sleuths on this case.

Reactions: wjs

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
My dealer replaced the whole rear hub. That fixed it.

Chaps2k2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I've been having similar issues.

For the last 3 weeks my car is making weird clicking sounds mostly when turning left but sometimes also when going straight.
I've had the car at the dealership and after 6 hours they told me "they fastened some nuts and bolts and the sound is gone", just for them to roll up with the car and the familiar clicking sound.

Over the last couple days the sound changed from an initial "card in spoke" rattle to clicking and its frequency increases with speed.
I've taken the wheels off to check for any rubbing spots or lose parts, rotated tires and tightened the lug nuts, but nothing's helped.

My car's a 2017 Mustang GT with 11k miles.

(Sound starts at 6s)

Do you guys have any idea what could cause this?

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Dumb question, but have you checked the tires for any rocks stuck in the treads? Had something similar in one of my truck tires. Annoying as hell. Found a large rock wedged in the tread. Pried it out, noise went away.

Sponsored

Zuess765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I had this issue on my 2018 GT350 but it was coming from the left rear and could hear it very loud with my window down. It turned out that the lug nuts were not torqued tight enough, I tightened them up and fixed it, no more issue. Its at least worth checking.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I've tightened the lug nuts
It sounds very similar to what mine sounded like. How tight did you torque them down? @ 150 mine don't click, and it hasn't returned, but I have had the wheels off and on quite frequently lately.

Chaps2k2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Dumb question, but have you checked the tires for any rocks stuck in the treads? Had something similar in one of my truck tires. Annoying as hell. Found a large rock wedged in the tread. Pried it out, noise went away.
Yes, checked all tires and didn’t see any stuck rocks. It does indeed sound like that.
I had this issue on my 2018 GT350 but it was coming from the left rear and could hear it very loud with my window down. It turned out that the lug nuts were not torqued tight enough, I tightened them up and fixed it, no more issue. Its at least worth checking.
Yes, after taking off each wheel I made sure to torque them @150. Unless my torque wrench is off the sound must stem from something else.
Check the drive shaft, some have had the sticker come off part way and it sounds like that.
Will check. I really hope it’s something that simple.
It sounds very similar to what mine sounded like. How tight did you torque them down? @ 150 mine don't click, and it hasn't returned, but I have had the wheels off and on quite frequently lately.
Yes I torqued them down properly.
Forgot to mention I’m using spacers (25mm front and 23mm rear. This shouldn’t change anything right?

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Forgot to mention I’m using spacers (25mm front and 23mm rear. This shouldn’t change anything right?
I'd think not, but in this case definitely maybe :wink:

I noted earlier in this thread that a mere camber change increased the clicking immensely. Maybe ten fold. Because of that, I think the broken washer theory definitely suggests that spacers could cause additional clicking. I would love to know what happens if you remove those spacers and really torque those wheels down.

Chaps2k2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Checked under the car and there are no lose stickers on the driveshaft. I was really hoping for this to be the problem.

I'd think not, but in this case definitely maybe :wink:

I noted earlier in this thread that a mere camber change increased the clicking immensely. Maybe ten fold. Because of that, I think the broken washer theory definitely suggests that spacers could cause additional clicking. I would love to know what happens if you remove those spacers and really torque those wheels down.
Will give this a try next.
Sponsored