Sponsored

Classic Car "Why"... that is the question ...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So some folks are die hard Ford or die hard Chevy, Mopar and the list goes on and on.

WHY when looking at Classic vehicles such as say a 1937 Ford coupe, or 1935-41 Ford Pick-up truck - the vehicle in some instances is absolutely stunning with tasteful upgrades - but then the friggin driveline is GM.... why????

I don't get it. I mean it would cost similar money to drop in a beefed up Ford small or big block and matched trans to such a vehicle than to plunk a GM driveline into it...

I've seen so many nice Ford Classics that have a great appeal from the exterior to the interior - then the engine and trans turns out to be GM... that it's just a pass for me.

What's the appeal to having a Ford with a GM driveline and why is that swap today, still so common? Is it "old timer" thinking that somehow a GM block is better than a Ford IN a Ford chassis?
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Back in the day crate 350 chevy motors were cheap and parts were all over the place. It is a damn good motor too. The Ford stuff wasn't all that great in comparison IMO. Took more knowledge and finesse to get them dialed in. Plus there was a ton of aftermarket stuff for conversions.

I'ts like the crate Coyote 5.0 going into everything now.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
exactly as stated above. chevy made the SBC for 40 something years, and dropped them in everything with almost no changes. the SBFs, and BBFs, have constant compatibility issues and major design changes. non stop, and where not around for as long. So, chevy stuff was cheap, and nearly everyone had one and knew how to work on them.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So some folks are die hard Ford or die hard Chevy, Mopar and the list goes on and on.

WHY when looking at Classic vehicles such as say a 1937 Ford coupe, or 1935-41 Ford Pick-up truck - the vehicle in some instances is absolutely stunning with tasteful upgrades - but then the friggin driveline is GM.... why????

I don't get it. I mean it would cost similar money to drop in a beefed up Ford small or big block and matched trans to such a vehicle than to plunk a GM driveline into it...

I've seen so many nice Ford Classics that have a great appeal from the exterior to the interior - then the engine and trans turns out to be GM... that it's just a pass for me.

What's the appeal to having a Ford with a GM driveline and why is that swap today, still so common? Is it "old timer" thinking that somehow a GM block is better than a Ford IN a Ford chassis?
If your mindset is "hotrod" rather than "restoration", the gloves have always come off where engine swaps were concerned.

Before the original SBC became such a popular swap, Cadillacs, Chryslers (original hemis), and even nail-head Buicks were commonly swapped into Fords of various vintages.

Part of that may be in hotrodding starting out as an activity in defiance of general public preferences.

A '37 or a '40 Ford would have been fitted with a flathead engine of very moderate displacement. Once bigger OHV engines appeared, the obvious answer to stronger straight line performance was to pull the engine that "thought it could/hoped it could" and replace it with an engine that "knows it can".

Once that genie was let out of the bottle . . . the rest is history.

Norm

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
but then the friggin driveline is GM.... why????
Cause when you blow one up, there cheap at the junkyard. Cracks me up everytime I see a 'Patina' 32 3-window with it's 'gotta be at least 500 horse' POS 305 chevy w/ log manifolds and a hobbled together turbo off a 2.2L chrysler.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Cause when you blow one up, there cheap at the junkyard. Cracks me up everytime I see a 'Patina' 32 3-window with it's 'gotta be at least 500 horse' POS 305 chevy w/ log manifolds and a hobbled together turbo off a 2.2L chrysler.
if I get the chance to build a rat rod, it'll be a 7.3 diesel....

but seeing 350 swaps into mustangs and broncos is maddening as all hell. I kinda get it with the hot rods, the 40s and earlier, but I would still prefer to see those Fords get any one of the great Ford motors.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
During the heyday of the SBC they were cheaper than a ford small block, and consistent. All sbc's used the same basic head design, same deck height, etc. plus you could get parts anywhere for a small block chevy, not so much with a ford. And now the LS series of engines has become the new small block that gets put into everything.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Just makes sense to use them. Cheap, small, lighter. I’d never do it. It’s just as easy to stroke a winsor or Cleveland motor. I’ll pay the extra few bucks to not bastardized my fords!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Ford doesn't give a shit. If they did they would have made the coyote engine on larger bore centers. Imagine a 400 Ci coyote?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford doesn't give a shit. If they did they would have made the coyote engine on larger bore centers. Imagine a 400 Ci coyote?
Or a 102mm bore/79mm stroke Voodoo - over half an inch less stroke for the same displacement (and far less vibration) - that wouldn't need as much crank to deck height either.

Norm

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Someday soon motors are going to get expensive as will parts. The last of the ICE have been designed folks. Think about that.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Someday soon motors are going to get expensive as will parts. The last of the ICE have been designed folks. Think about that.
Due to chicken little syndrome.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Or a 102mm bore/79mm stroke Voodoo - over half an inch less stroke for the same displacement (and far less vibration) - that wouldn't need as much crank to deck height either.
Can you say 10,000 RPM
Sponsored