Sponsored

Check you oil!

JJP SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium, PP1, 401A, 6M, and Recaros
Evening Gang,

In my first post, I mentioned the I recently bought a gently used 18 GT Premium. One of the selling points is that they would change to oil for me prior to picking it up since the car already had 3400 miles on it.

This morning, I decide to finally peek under the hood to get myself familiar with it. First thing I did was check the oil. Imagine my surprise when there wasn't any oil between the upper and lower marks. As a matter of fact, it was on the lower end of the stick! To eliminate my error, car is on level ground and hasn't been started in days.

I emailed the salesperson and the dealer GM about it asking them to look into this. The GM emails back that he will look into it. Also says "if the oil level was too low to operate the vehicle safely, there would be a warning light and a message from the vehicle computer". There wasn't either so we're off to an ok start. Doesn't change the fact that in my opinion, something doesn't line up.

Short while later, I get an email from the salesperson with a detailed explanation how to check the oil (page 229 in the manual). So, I follow it to the letter and same oil level results. Thanks to this board, I find out the correct amount of oil and the capacity of the 5.0 engine oil. That info is also on page 296 of the owners manual.

I do have a copy of the oil change receipt / Internal RO and it shows... 8 quarts. I'm not a certified mechanic at all. I'm simply an enthusiast, as many of you are, that is passionate about toys. Is the technician right? Is the manual wrong? Either way, after I added 2 quarts of the correct Ford weight oil, the oil level is now just below full on the dipstick.

Moral of the story, check your oil! ;)
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yeah Ford and dealers have really dropped the ball on this new coyote. I hear new cars coming from factory brand new with 8 quarts. Dealers not putting correct amount in at oil changes. Total BS! A 7500 rpm redline motor with low oil is not a good thing...

This is why I do it myself. Super easy job not too. Plus half the $$.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
The manual states to get the car to operating temp then shut the motor off for 15 mins to let the oil drain to the pan before checking the oil level on the stick.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Yeah Ford and dealers have really dropped the ball on this new coyote. I hear new cars coming from factory brand new with 8 quarts. Dealers not putting correct amount in at oil changes. Total BS! A 7500 rpm redline motor with low oil is not a good thing...

This is why I do it myself. Super easy job not too. Plus half the $$.
Half the money is debatable. Especially since I have to deal with disposal.
10 quarts of 5w20 is what. $40-50 at wal mart. Filter is another $6. I doubt the dealer wants $100 to change the oil...

Dealer changes my f350 for $110. It costs me $95 to buy the oil and filter.

But i had the same issue. My mustang was a quart low on purchase. Dealer changed theboil right before I bought it.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Half the money is debatable. Especially since I have to deal with disposal.
10 quarts of 5w20 is what. $40-50 at wal mart. Filter is another $6. I doubt the dealer wants $100 to change the oil...

Dealer changes my f350 for $110. It costs me $95 to buy the oil and filter.

But i had the same issue. My mustang was a quart low on purchase. Dealer changed theboil right before I bought it.
I just bought 10 quarts full synthetic Penn Ultra Platinum plus filter for around 40 bucks through Amazon with the $20 back in rebates. Ford wanted $125 plus tax for full synthetic.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The problem is - Service Center and Techs only see a Mustang S550 with a Coyote and go ā€œwelp, yep, them thar is an 8qt fillā€....

and do not realize that between 2017 and 2018, the total oil capacity CHANGED...

Not sure either why the Ford Service Centers are not aware of the change, you would think that is noted SOMEWHERE... like maybe start tattooing it on Techs foreheads....

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
I just bought 10 quarts full synthetic Penn Ultra Platinum plus filter for around 40 bucks through Amazon with the $20 back in rebates. Ford wanted $125 plus tax for full synthetic.

Your dealer is trying to fuck you.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Bottom line:

If the dealership changes your oil check it afterwards anyway. Keep a few quarts of Mobile 1 full synthetic 5W-20 handy and top it off yourself. Dealerships are notorious for not topping off after they put a new filter in, fill it then drive it off the lift. OR they don't put any in the new filter before they install it. Either way you end up a quart low sometimes.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My GT got the oil changed before I purchased it from the dealer, it was low. Itā€™s a ā€˜16. This is why I only touch my car.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yes, we know that.

It's vehicle 101.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Your dealer is trying to fuck you.
Actually - the oil change prices at Ford Service Centers vary on geographic locations and if or if not the center is located in a depressed area.

What may cost you $110 for your F350 - may cost someone else $140... and if you havenā€™t priced Dealer S550 oil changes lately, his $125 is not far off at all - especially if his Service Center is in a metropolitan area.

One other thing to mention (that some people might not be aware of) is some of these Ford Service ā€œQuick Laneā€ oil changes are adding in tire rotations which is inflating the oil change price. If you donā€™t want your wheels rotated tell them to remove the cost from the price....

Hereā€™s a tip for those who do use Ford Service Centers for oil changes - hit up the online Quick Lane website and get the oil change coupon there, which will reduce the ā€œwalk inā€ price...
https://www.quicklane.com/

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Full Synthetic oil change is what he missed. No dealer is going to do it for less than 100. Sure the motorcraft 5w-20 blend is 40-50 oil change. No thanks.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
Full Synthetic oil change is what he missed. No dealer is going to do it for less than 100. Sure the motorcraft 5w-20 blend is 40-50 oil change. No thanks.
I didn't miss it.

Just for fun I called my dealer. $94. And I live in a metro area.
Sponsored