Charging system problem.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
With a modern car pulling fuses is not really a good way to check for parasitic draw. Doing so will likely give you false readings by triggering different modules. The best way is to check each fuse for voltage drop.
But, quite frankly, you haven't even measured what the car is drawing now so you don't have a baseline or even know if it's outside normal parameters.
There's a BMW tech in the following thread that gives a good explanation.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/parasitic-draw.195206/
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
With a modern car pulling fuses is not really a good way to check for parasitic draw. Doing so will likely give you false readings by triggering different modules. The best way is to check each fuse for voltage drop.
But, quite frankly, you haven't even measured what the car is drawing now so you don't have a baseline or even know if it's outside normal parameters.
There's a BMW tech in the following thread that gives a good explanation.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/parasitic-draw.195206/
Stop enabling his OCD.

He doesn't have a vehicle problem, he has OCD coupled with ignorance.

OP, you car IS a parasitic draw. These cars NEVER shut all the way off, unless it's in deep-sleep mode. And even then it's just down to a bare minimum, but juice is still being used. Going into deep sleep mode is completely normal, and not indicative of there being any problem.

The fact is, you don't drive the car. You leave it sitting, and these cars don't like that.

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
Stop enabling his OCD.

He doesn't have a vehicle problem, he has OCD coupled with ignorance.

OP, you car IS a parasitic draw. These cars NEVER shut all the way off, unless it's in deep-sleep mode. And even then it's just down to a bare minimum, but juice is still being used. Going into deep sleep mode is completely normal, and not indicative of there being any problem.

The fact is, you don't drive the car. You leave it sitting, and these cars don't like that.
So, KingKona, why will my 2 Amp battery charger never bring the car up above 75% charged? The charger should be able to bring it upto that level at least. I've pulled the battery and charged it on the bench with no problem (using the same charge).

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
So, KingKona, why will my 2 Amp battery charger never bring the car up above 75% charged? The charger should be able to bring it upto that level at least. I've pulled the battery and charged it on the bench with no problem (using the same charge).
What point are you making?

And while you're answering that question, also answer my first question;

What is actually wrong with your car?

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Ignore Kona, he's the biggest troll on this forum:like:

Sponsored

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
The point I'm trying to make is that there appears to be a problem with the charging system in my car (as stated in my original post). I thought someone on this forum might have experienced a similar problem, but obviously you would rather call me a liar and point out that I have psychological problems instead.

As far as what's wrong with the car, go back and reread the thread.

I own a number of new vehicles that don't get driven often, and the Mustang is the only one that is not reliable. I don't even plug my High Country in and after a month, it will start reliably.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The point I'm trying to make is that there appears to be a problem with the charging system in my car

As far as what's wrong with the car, go back and reread the thread.
I've been part of the entire thread. Read every one of your posts.

You've posted nothing stating that anything is actually wrong. Just that you don't like that the car goes into deep sleep mode.

Nothing more.

Not that it doesn't start. Not that there are electrical gremlins happening. Just a bunch of guesses and "tests" that mean absolutely nothing, other than an obsessive belief that something is "wrong".

Let's ask this one. More. Time.

What is WRONG with the car? Does it not start? Something else?

Last edited:
OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
I've been part of the entire thread. Read every one of your posts.

You've posted nothing stating that anything is actually wrong. Just that you don't like that the car goes into deep sleep mode.

Nothing more.

Not that it doesn't start. Not that there are electrical gremlins happening. Just a bunch of guesses and "tests" that mean absolutely nothing, other than an obsessive belief that something is "wrong".

Let's ask this one. More. Time.

What is WRONG with the car? Does it not start? Something else?
Yes, if I let it go beyond the "Sleep Mode" notification, it will go to a "No start confition". I try not to let this happen, but the first time it did, the dealership replaced the battery (under warranty). It has happened a couple times since the battery was sulfates. I prefer to have my vehicles available when I want todrive them, especially with they are on a charger.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yes, if I let it go beyond the "Sleep Mode" notification, it will go to a "No start confition". I try not to let this happen, but the first time it did, the dealership replaced the battery (under warranty). It has happened a couple times since the battery was sulfates. I prefer to have my vehicles available when I want todrive them, especially with they are on a charger.
Occam's Razor suggests the issue is the battery. Either you've killed it by keeping it at a low charge state, or it was crap from the beginning. Hell, maybe the dealership didn't actually replace it. Maybe they just charged it.

Regardless, the place to start is a known-good, new battery. A really good one, not some cheap POS.

Last edited:

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
I'm now at 93 days since I last drove my 22 and its yet to enter sleep mode. Its on a battery tender junior wired to fuse block and has no issues keeping the battery charged - at least according to indicator lights on the outlet.

I've only had sleep mode once and that was on my 21 when it sat for 2 or 3 weeks in the early spring off a battery tender. But even then I had zero concerns as that's what's supposed to happen. No issues starting and never had deep sleep again.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I just replaced a battery on mine. It started this sleep mode thing even though I was driving the car once a week. The actual reason I changed it was slow starts and the battery being 4 years old. The sleep mode could be a telltale. One thing I have experienced both times a battery starting getting weak on this car is the turn signal. Instead of a steady tick- tick-tick, it would have a weird “tick-a-tick” cadence on one signal, if that makes any sense to you. A fresh battery solved that weird quirk.

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
I'm now at 93 days since I last drove my 22 and its yet to enter sleep mode. Its on a battery tender junior wired to fuse block and has no issues keeping the battery charged - at least according to indicator lights on the outlet.

I've only had sleep mode once and that was on my 21 when it sat for 2 or 3 weeks in the early spring off a battery tender. But even then I had zero concerns as that's what's supposed to happen. No issues starting and never had deep sleep again.
Now, this would be in keeping with my expectations. My Silverado has so much electronics in it, but has no problem with holding a charge.