Sponsored

Challenger outsold Mustang again. Worst Mustang sales ever.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I agree with the last dodge ice, and new mustang being two big reasons. I don't know what a Dodge costs, other than I know a hellcat is expensive. I've never ridden in any dodge muscle, how do they handle? I always assumed poorly...
I can’t speak for the new challengers and chargers but my old-ish viper is exactly what you want AND don’t want! 🤣 Lots of power, manual, loud noises, V10, no traction control and looks like a cartoon sports car. At the same time it is a bit clunky, low ground clearance, burns your legs with side exhausts and chugs gasoline but I still love it. As far as handling, HA! The car handles you more like it. ❤ That is why I daily my mustang LOL
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
You deserve a ban for having this wrong opinion 😂

My main complaint with the challenger is the thicc dashboard. Like, why does it take up so much of the interior? They also have so much ride height stock, especially the lower trims.
I absolutely hate how ugly and cheap the interior is on the Challenger. And its a big boat and dodge quality is marginal at best does not impress me one bit.

1673081288711.png

Last edited:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Yes, I know I've always liked this body style of Challenger. And the Hellcat engine is awesome. I've been on the road course with a Charger Hellcat, and the power didn't go away in a lap or two like it does with a lot of blown vehicles.

They are marginally worse than a Mustang in corners and transitions, but unless you are really pushing on a road course or something you probably won't notice a difference in the ability to turn corners. If most of your driving is on the highway and regular roads the Challenger is probably marginally better for those uses. They lay on the road really nicely. That's part of what a heavy vehicle does for you - smooth ride.

The interior is more comfortable than a Mustang and roomier. The pistol-grip shifter is mega cool. And to me the Dodge brand is slightly cooler in general than Ford just due to the history of past cars. Definitely the higher up Fords are awesome, but Mustangs are a lot more common than Challengers, because Ford has sold them since 1965 continuously.

I think EB vs. GT is about 50/50 here in the US, and in Europe it's almost all GTs. I looked for numbers on Challengers but didn't find them. I can tell you the older 5.7 Challenger I drove at one time didn't seem like an improvement over the V6 Mustang I was driving back then.

I think the biggest thing is appearance. The Challenger is better looking than the 2018 and up GT. Yes the Mach is good looking, but it's really expensive and more difficult to find. So Ford made it too hard to buy a decent looking Mustang and they lost sales as a result.

Maybe I'm completely off base about this. I do think the new Mustang design is better looking and the DH is not necessarily better looking than the base cars. So that might help sales. I guess it will depend as well on prices and how good the cars are.
I want some of whatever you smoking lol

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
That’s because Ford screwed the pooch on the chip shortage. They were least prepared and if you want a new Mustang you’re going to pay a markup. Local dealer has two Mustangs on the lot, both have a $10k markup because you can’t find a new one.

Number are vastly skewed due to availability.

BEEC368D-D6E3-4D56-ACE8-46D837C22B10.png

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Disappointed in the sales # lag, but not surprised either.

- Chevrolet and Dodge models are ending. People want the last of the last

- The S650 debuted and will arrive soon; many buyers have been aware of the timeline

- MY21 and 22 had significant production and delivery struggles. MY23: a drive-by at best

I don't expect sales to improve significantly.

- People are concerned about the economy, jobs and inflation

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/06/2022-us-auto-sales-are-worst-in-more-than-a-decade-.html#:~:text=Toyota and GM said they,preliminary forecast is 14.1 million.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You deserve a ban for having this wrong opinion 😂

My main complaint with the challenger is the thicc dashboard. Like, why does it take up so much of the interior? They also have so much ride height stock, especially the lower trims.
I do own a Mustang and I've never owned a Challenger.

I was seriously going to buy a Challenger but the fact that (up here, at least) a Scat Pack nicely optioned was about 10k (CAD) over what I paid for my loaded '22 Premium.

My dad's first new car was a '71 Barracuda and while I've always loved the looks of the new Challengers, I couldn't see how it was worth that much more.
There's a new Scatpack RT widebody car near me at MSRP for $59K. There's a used low mile Mach 1 with the base interior for a little over $65K.

I remember years ago thinking the Challenger cost more, but I think now the Mustangs cost more. That might be part of why the Challenger is selling better.

I absolutely hate how ugly and cheap the interior is on the Challenger. And its a big boat and dodge quality is marginal at best does not impress me one bit.

1673081288711.png
I'm a little afraid of the quality as well. I've been happy with Fords in that respect and I've owned quite a few really old, beat-down Fords.

I did see some of the Dodges had 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranties, which means to me other people worry about the quality as well.

I want some of whatever you smoking lol
Maybe it's just been too many years since I drove a Challenger and I'm not remembering it very well. I remember it felt really solid and comfortable. The interior was roomy. The seats were nice. It felt like a muscle car. I generally prefer a smaller car, but I did like the feel. The Mustang is big and heavy too - they are similar in a lot of ways. I'm 6'4" 200 lbs, so I'm a larger person. Probably for shorter/smaller people the Mustang might seem more right-sized.

And I haven't driven one on the road course, but I've been in events with Challengers and they didn't seem excessively slow.

Last edited:

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
There's a new Scatpack RT widebody car near me at MSRP for $59K. There's a used low mile Mach 1 with the base interior for a little over $65K.

I remember years ago thinking the Challenger cost more, but I think now the Mustangs cost more. That might be part of why the Challenger is selling better.
Went looking in my emails, guess the price on the Challenger I was looking at was $70,345 CAD and my Mustang was $64,460 (sorry, only ~6k more, for some reason I could have swore the price they were asking was 74K on the Challenger)

Either way, I don't think it's worth that much more, other than it comes w/ a Tremec vs the MT82 in my car :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Went looking in my emails, guess the price on the Challenger I was looking at was $70,345 CAD and my Mustang was $64,460 (sorry, only ~6k more, for some reason I could have swore the price they were asking was 74K on the Challenger)

Either way, I don't think it's worth that much more, other than it comes w/ a Tremec vs the MT82 in my car :)
The regular GTs are a lot better deal than Mach 1s, that's for sure.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
The regular GTs are a lot better deal than Mach 1s, that's for sure.
I had actually priced out a M1 before I decided I couldn't stomach a ~10k (CAD) difference in price just to get a Tremec (I know there's more than just that, but that's the only difference I cared about).

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
When has anyone seen a Mustang ad on tv?
Not since the S197 came out, at least the way you meant it, advertising the car's performance.

Sponsored

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
As the President of a Mopar car club, I've seen more than my fair share of new Challengers. Driven more than a few, too. My current '22 GT is my third Mustang.

For whatever reason, the new Challenger just isn't for me. I have no interest at all in one. From the day they were announced, just not my thing.Then again, I'm one of a few that much prefers a '67-'69 Barracuda over the '70 and lat 'cuda and Challenger.

I'd bet lots of the current Challenger sales have much to do with the end of the line. Dodge is pushing hard with lots of "special editions". I find it surprising that the Challenger is still selling as strongly as it is considering how many years this platform has been in production.

I find my '22 a comfortable car that's a blast to have as a daily driver. Plenty of the little comforts too

I also have a '96 RT/10 and a 2000 GTS that I bought new. Raw? Crude? You bet!!! Perfect.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I can’t speak for the new challengers and chargers but my old-ish viper is exactly what you want AND don’t want! 🤣 Lots of power, manual, loud noises, V10, no traction control and looks like a cartoon sports car. At the same time it is a bit clunky, low ground clearance, burns your legs with side exhausts and chugs gasoline but I still love it. As far as handling, HA! The car handles you more like it. ❤ That is why I daily my mustang LOL
And the early generations actively try to kill you 😂

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I cross shopped these last year.

The best way I can describe driving a challenger is that it feels like driving a lowered truck. It goes like hell and spins tires at stoplights when you put your foot in it, which is fun, but the engine just kind of dies off after that in the higher RPMs. It was fun to drive in a different way, but just felt big and heavy in comparison.

The extra space in the challenger is nice. I didn’t really see much of a difference in interior quality between the two. Definitely preferred the look and feel of the Mustang’s though — visibility is better too.

I really like the look of both so that didn’t bother me either way.

I went with the mustang because it just has a more refined experience to it and the engine has more character and better sound IMO. Both are great cars but the Mustang actually feels like a sports car/grand tourer while the Challenger feels like a lowered truck, which could be either a plus or a minus to you.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
No surprise on the poor Mustang sales. Go back to January, February and March of 2022 and Flatrock was idle more than it was active due to supply chain issues.

That being said, good on Dodge. If the Mustang didn't exist, a Challenger would be my choice.
Sponsored