Ceramic coat? Clear 3m? Help?

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue
Ordered a 2021 GT convertible. First ever brand new car and I'd like to keep it looking new, as I keep my cars a long time. I planned on getting 3m clear vinyl half hood, bumper, and mirrors. What do you guys recommend? My buddy said ceramic costing plus that but I'm not sure.
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Ordered a 2021 GT convertible. First ever brand new car and I'd like to keep it looking new, as I keep my cars a long time. I planned on getting 3m clear vinyl half hood, bumper, and mirrors. What do you guys recommend? My buddy said ceramic costing plus that but I'm not sure.
Full hood / bumper and fenders / mirrors / a pillars / leading roof edge / lower door sill and rockers / rear impact area in front and behind the rear wheels then ceramic coat on the entire car including the PPF.

Don't go half hood you won't like the look / line. Also the part of your hood that's unprotected will get hammered.

OP
OP
frank_white

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Full hood / bumper and fenders / mirrors / a pillars / leading roof edge / lower door sill and rockers / rear impact area in front and behind the rear wheels then ceramic coat on the entire car including the PPF.

Don't go half hood you won't like the look / line. Also the part of your hood that's unprotected will get hammered.
Thank you. I wasn't sure how visible the 3m would be. So 3m first then ceramic ontop of it? What does PFF mean? Sorry I'm new here

OP
OP
frank_white

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
I would not ceramic coat the PPF because it will affect its self healing properties. What you do not put PPF on I would ceramic coat those areas. Congrats on the new Mustang!
Thank you! The waiting sucks but I can't wait to be back in a convertible mustang! (my hs/college ride was a 95 convertible GT)

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I would not ceramic coat the PPF because it will affect its self healing properties. What you do not put PPF on I would ceramic coat those areas. Congrats on the new Mustang!
Not true. The ceramic won't do anything to the self healing of the PPF however it will stop bird shit from etching it... Any marring /scratches / scuffs on the PPF will remove the ceramic in those spots. Heat gun and the PPF is healed. Spray on a coat of reload and call it a day.

atticuskid35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium - PP1, 401a, A10, AE
So S-tek makes a ppf that is self heal and is hydrophobic. I have half my car ppf with that and the rest is ceramic coated. I believe it’s the Dyno shield one and I highly recommend it. Once a month I’ll spray carpro reload on the car to retain its ceramic coat and the ppf’s hydrophobic properties.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
As has been said, that is completely wrong.

Xpel FAQ

"Can I apply a ceramic coating on top of the film and how does it affect the self-healing feature of XPEL?

Yes, Coatings can be applied to the films. Adding a coating does not stop the film from self-healing."
Sponsored