Catless back to catted

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
2017 Mustang GT. Previous owner did a cat delete on the car and I'm trying to resell the car or trade it in on a different vehicle, but it's proving to be a challenge without cats. Are there any good/less expensive universal cats I could have welded in so that my problems with CEL and unable to pass emissions are solved? Any recommendations are appreciated, I've been quoted by a couple shops on how much it would cost to just do a swap with stock manifolds that have OEM cats, would like to try a less expensive option if it's an option.
Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
All the muffler shops around me have new genetic cats sitting on the shelves. I’d try having a pair of cheap ones welded in.

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
All the muffler shops around me have new genetic cats sitting on the shelves. I’d try having a pair of cheap ones welded in.
Any recommendation on a certain brand/model code? I want to at least get some good ones in that will make sure to pass emissions and what-not.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Any recommendation on a certain brand/model code? I want to at least get some good ones in that will make sure to pass emissions and what-not.
Honestly I’ve never looked into them. Usually one of the first things I do is remove or gut them. Haven’t ever had to look into installing them back on anything.

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Honestly I’ve never looked into them. Usually one of the first things I do is remove or gut them. Haven’t ever had to look into installing them back on anything.
Normally I wouldn't bother, but trading/selling it outside of private party is a pain in the a$$.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
To be honest I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and get the OEM cats.

I would jump on these..$650

2015-2017 Mustang GT headers and cats

s-l1600.jpg
Sorry I wasn't specific in my original post, I actually already have OEM cats for the car, but due to the excessive labor of replacing the driver manifold, etc... I was hoping there was a less expensive alternative.

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
The generic cats are just fine.

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The generic cats are just fine.
Would high-flows with O2 sensor work? Or being high-flow they would have too much flow?

I found some cheap WATERWICH High-flows with O2 sensor on amazon, like $55 a pop.

Last edited:

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Put the stock ones back on. If things were reversed and you were buying a used car what would you think. Stock manifolds missing and some aftermarket crap welded in wherever they could make them fit. That screams mickey mouse to me. I'd pass on that car.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I wasn't specific in my original post, I actually already have OEM cats for the car, but due to the excessive labor of replacing the driver manifold, etc... I was hoping there was a less expensive alternative.
Can't the cat just be welded back onto the manifold.

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Can't the cat just be welded back onto the manifold.
I mean in theory I guess you could, but where it sits in OEM position, I've been told it's too difficult to get a welder up in that shit. I'm not sure lol

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Just weld a flange on the header and one on the cat takes an hour tops. Just like the mak delete pipes.

OP
OP

Sytx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just weld a flange on the header and one on the cat takes an hour tops. Just like the mak delete pipes.
It's just the stinkin driver's side that is the one. Passenger side ez, just unbolt and rebolt with flange. I guess in theory you could do that to the driver's side too, just drop it down where can be welded. Trying to avoid going as "redneck" as possible :crackup:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those cheap $55 cats won't work. Guarantee you will still get a CEL. Not to mention if they do a visual it would fail. Oh wait you live in Tn...maybe they don't do a visual.
Sponsored

Last edited: