Catless and the imfamous CEL

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I don't think there is room for 4 cats in parallel.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
At one time I had this crazy idea to install wastegates upstream of the cats. They could be actuated by boost just like in a turbo car, and open once you get into boost thereby allowing the hot gas to bypass the cat, lower backpressure, and protect the cat brick from the heat. No, it's not legal by the letter of the law...but no one could argue it's not 99% as good as having cats full time. I eventually decided it was too much effort, complex, and maybe not worth the effort.

OP
OP
5.0_Lojos

5.0_Lojos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
At one time I had this crazy idea to install wastegates upstream of the cats. They could be actuated by boost just like in a turbo car, and open once you get into boost thereby allowing the hot gas to bypass the cat, lower backpressure, and protect the cat brick from the heat. No, it's not legal by the letter of the law...but no one could argue it's not 99% as good as having cats full time. I eventually decided it was too much effort, complex, and maybe not worth the effort.
Pretty Clever though 🙌👍

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
Did not know this. Shoot, most if not all are trying to get rid of the 2 kitties let alone have or add an additional 2. 🤣 interesting.
Going catless is illegal and a no starter for a street car. Everyone OEM that makes 800hp with 150,000km warranties can do it, why can't the aftermarket do the same?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
why can't the aftermarket do the same?
It can but no one wants to pay 2k+ for cats that won't melt. OEM cats melt too with multiple passes or road course use.

OP
OP
5.0_Lojos

5.0_Lojos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It can but no one wants to pay 2k+ for cats that won't melt. OEM cats melt too with multiple passes or road course use.
I apologize in advance for starting a topic that beats a "dead horse" more than once 😬 legal, illegal, as it stands with my initial concern (if done correctly and running FI) eliminating the 🐈 and replacing it with a pitbull is more aggressive and attacks more visicioulsy! 🤦 I rather have a pitbull than 2, 4 or even 8 🐈 (My neighbor Karen has about 6 🐈 😻 🙃)
Sponsored