Sponsored

Catch Can Quantity Results...

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So I know there's quite a few catch can threads, but I felt my question was a little simpler and didn't know which thread to attach in onto, so here's a new one, LOL.

Changed my oil this weekend and went to check/empty the can since we're there! Left it on the car and just removed the four screws to swing the lid out of the way. With 3,000 miles since last check/empty/cleaning, there was not enough oil in my can to even mess with. I don't think there was enough to siphon out. A blue shop paper towel would have been plenty good to soak it up and clean it out. There was a standing level of oil in it, so it's working, but it was so little oil I didn't even bother, much less try to measure it. I put the lid back on and went about my business.

Are you guys seeing super low accumulation at this or similar mileage? Thanks guys.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So I know there's quite a few catch can threads, but I felt my question was a little simpler and didn't know which thread to attach in onto, so here's a new one, LOL.

Changed my oil this weekend and went to check/empty the can since we're there! Left it on the car and just removed the four screws to swing the lid out of the way. With 3,000 miles since last check/empty/cleaning, there was not enough oil in my can to even mess with. I don't think there was enough to siphon out. A blue shop paper towel would have been plenty good to soak it up and clean it out. There was a standing level of oil in it, so it's working, but it was so little oil I didn't even bother, much less try to measure it. I put the lid back on and went about my business.

Are you guys seeing super low accumulation at this or similar mileage? Thanks guys.
I changed my oil Friday and it occurred to me yesterday that I hadn't checked the catch can for a while. I've checked it a few times over the summer but it's been about 3000 miles since the last time I actually emptied it. This time there might have been two ounces in it - I pulled the oil out with a turkey baster and soaked the last bits up with a paper shop towel and that was that.

I have the FP catch cans and it never occurs to me to remove them - just remove the four screws and rotate the lid out of the way. The driver's side is and always has been dry, but the pax side collects a bit.

Last edited:

black bart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem A6 White Platinum 20x9's
Every 1000 miles I have one once of oil in my catch can. Mostly high speed highway driving, average around 2000 miles a month.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Mine shows very little also under normal driving. But after my two track sessions, I noticed quite a bit more. Only emptied it twice in 11K miles.

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I use the JLT can on the passenger side only as its on the vacuum side of the system. Drivers side is a waste of money. In 8000 miles I think I have checked it about 3 times. Get about a good tablespoon maybe a bit more in each of those times.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't get a lot of accumulation either. I usually check it before and after track days, but it's never very much oil in there. I'm sure different engines will have different results as the volume of oil vapor will depend on how much blow by the engine has and how much high RPM the engine is experiencing. Maybe as the Voodoos get up over 100,000 or 200,000 miles on them they will start to fill up the air/oil separators more quickly.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I sold my frpp catch cans because they suck. They don't catch as much as jlt and it is a hassle to take it out and empty it.

I bought a driver side jlt catch can that comes with bracket and installed it on the passenger side. I also added a quick drain valve and ran a hose under the car. It catches more oil than the frpp.

Driver side is a waste.
IMG_20180727_065431-1600x1200.jpg

EvilleGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I checked my JLT 3.0 after maybe 200 miles. Easily had 1-2 tablespoons in there. I drive it 5-6 days a week and blast on-ramps whenever traffic permits.

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
I sold my frpp catch cans because they suck. They don't catch as much as jlt and it is a hassle to take it out and empty it.

I bought a driver side jlt catch can that comes with bracket and installed it on the passenger side. I also added a quick drain valve and ran a hose under the car. It catches more oil than the frpp.

Driver side is a waste.
IMG_20180727_065431-1600x1200.jpg
Did you have to extend the hose or did it snap right on? I have the passenger side one now, but I feel like it sags and might be rubbing against one of the sensor harnesses. I think i might copy you

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I did not use the hoses that came with the kit. I bought power steering hoses and ran it myself.

Sponsored
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I really don't see how one can can catch too much more than the next. As long as there's a medium in the can to separate the oil suspended in the air, I would think you're splitting hairs over how much one catches over the other. Not saying it doesn't catch more, but for the life of me, I can't imagine it would be significant. Oh well. The Ford one looks the best though, so I'm OK with that!

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I have UPR cans for the last ~3-4k miles, 6 track days, ....can caught no oil. But it smells like oil
Sponsored